Runner's World magazine (Read 372 times)

I really liked that one issue with the fit, attractive blonde on the cover, standing in front of some sort of blue background.

I saw one like that, but she was wearing tiny little boy shorts & a sports bra. Just like all you runner gals wear when you go out for a run. Oh and I think she might've had a pony tail. And ripped abs.

Dave

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I saw your picture in it!  You were in a salad!

Lol!  Outstanding.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

gpb

At 79 cents an issue or less, it's entertaining enough even if not particularly substantive.

Plus it saves me from having to find a coaster on the coffee table.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I really liked that one issue with the fit, attractive blonde on the cover, standing in front of some sort of blue background.

I rather liked this one.  Always nice to see a full-sized person on the cover.

Of course, turns out she has more to do with volleyball than running.  Ah well.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Village people

For Ilene.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I was a subscriber for years.  Probably close to 20 years (since HS XC).  There was maybe 3 years worth of unique stuff over the 2 decades, and 17 years of repeated stuff.   Which is really not a shocker when you think about what can be written about running before it's exhausted and needs to be repeated.

It's good,  it's for newbies (which everyone is at some point) and they reuse the same content over and over.  Each issue will have a nugget or two worth reading eventually, after you notice the same old same old.   I liked some of the stats they occasionally had, but eventually it wasn't worth paying for.

This is the first or second year I haven't received it.  I'm more bummed about not seeing it in my mail box than not actually reading it.

You should subscribe.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

I rather liked this one.  Always nice to see a full-sized person on the cover.

Of course, turns out she has more to do with volleyball than running.  Ah well.

Full sized?  Aren't the images like 12" tall? 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

spinach

I saw your picture in it!  You were in a salad!

Oh!!!  I usually skip the salad sections, there may be some relatives in there.

#artbydmcbride

Oh!!!  I usually skip the salad sections, there may be some relatives in there.

Oh yeah, kale was there!

Runners run

JimR

I liked the one about how to run my fastest 5k.  Which was completely useless because I had already run it, duh!

gpb

There was maybe 3 years worth of unique stuff over the 2 decades, and 17 years of repeated stuff.   Which is really not a shocker when you think about what can be written about running before it's exhausted and needs to be repeated.

Good point.  Let's see, there's:

• Left foot, Right foot, repeat until your destination.
                        • Mix it up some, don't do the same distance and pace all the time.  (hills/fartleks/intervals/track/tempo/whatever)
                        • Strengthen your core
                        • Eat well

There are always newbies picking up the magazine.  So they'll always repeat the info we consider old hat.

I've actually enjoyed several of the recipes and/or used them as inspiration for something else I was making.

Anyone expecting expert level stuff from RW will be disappointed, but as I said above -- for the price it's pretty cheap entertainment.  Plus handy to pass off to a friend or acquaintance who expresses an interest.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Good point.  Let's see, there's:

• Left foot, Right foot, repeat until your destination.
                          • Mix it up some, don't do the same distance and pace all the time.  (hills/fartleks/intervals/track/tempo/whatever)
                          • Strengthen your core
                          • Eat well

There are always newbies picking up the magazine.  So they'll always repeat the info we consider old hat.

I've actually enjoyed several of the recipes and/or used them as inspiration for something else I was making.

Anyone expecting expert level stuff from RW will be disappointed, but as I said above -- for the price it's pretty cheap entertainment.  Plus handy to pass off to a friend or acquaintance who expresses an interest.

And in two month's time it will be:

• Right foot, Left foot, repeat until your destination.
                          • Strengthen your core
                          • Eat well (and here are 5 foods you never knew could help you run a faster 5k than last month's 5 foods did)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

Cyberic

Subscribed for 1 year.

I enjoyed a few articles. There was one about adopting an odd breathing pattern (ex: inhale for 3 steps, exhale for 2) to help prevent injuries that I found made enough sense that I actually always breathe in an odd pattern when I'm running ever since I read that article. I'm not sure it actually helps, but the worse it can do is nothing. So I have nothing to lose.

I didn't subscribe for a second year. I tried another running magazine (Canadian Running) thinking that during the winter it would focus more on the reality of running in the winter, and it does, but the ratio of good articles is actually worse than in Runner's World IMO.

But as it has already been mentioned, subscription is pretty cheap so why not?

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

There was one about adopting an odd breathing pattern (ex: inhale for 3 steps, exhale for 2) to help prevent injuries that I found made enough sense that I actually always breathe in an odd pattern when I'm running ever since I read that article. 

Same here.  Comes natural now, and seems to help.  I did find "in 3 out 2" uncomfortable, though...I use "in 3, out 3, in 3, out 2" which gives the same effect.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yep, it's cheap, and DW & DD had a lot of fun mocking it during the year that I subscribed.  It's sort a Women's Day for runners.