Unable to connect to GPS (Read 131 times)

Chelby

Have tried and tried but consistently get a message stating "Unable to find a GPS device.  Please verify it is properly connected to the computer." Am trying to connect my Garmin Forerunner 310XT.  Have downloaded and installed the Garmin Communicator Plugin, yet I continue to get messages that I don't have it on my computer.  I have transferred data from my GPS to the ANT Stick, and have logged into Garmin Connect to see that trainings have been uploaded there.  Not sure what step I am missing that is preventing me from uploading GPS data in RunningAhead.  Please help .

You need to download the .tcx file from Garmin Connect and then upload the file into RunningAhead. That's what I do, at least.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Not sure what you're missing either, but if the data are on Garmin Connect, I believe they are also on your computer somewhere like this:

C: \Users\yourcomputername\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\probablySomeIDInfo\History

or search for ".tcx" on your C: drive and you should be able to find it.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember if RA can directly download the Garmin files (to RA) or whether you need to download the files first, then upload to RA.

I'm using SportTracks for my primary log, and import the downloaded .tcx file to there, then export .fitlog and upload to RA, if I want the data there also.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The 310xt & Ant Agent system is flaky. It works for some people all the time, and sometimes screws up for some people. The symptom that I see is that the Ant Agent acts like it forgot the 310xt exists -- it is no longer listed in Device Settings.

It hasn't really forgotten about the watch. It still has the watch info in the AppData subdirectory, *and* it will still upload new workouts to garmincomment.  But, there seems no easy way to use it to upload to RA, because the watch isn't listed in the RA watch dropdown -- which I'm sure is a result of it not being listed in the Ant Agent dropdown.

Garmin techsupport will tell you to upgrade to the latest version of all software, and try shutting off computer and watch, and try recording a new workout, and try re-pairing watch, and try resetting watch (working up to the hard reset that may delete all your data).

There are threads on the garmin techsupport forums about this, and there are several threads on RA about this.

My suggestion is to try all the things I listed above, that garmin tech support reps have recommended.

As mentioned elsewhere, if the workout went to garminconnect, then there is a copy of it locally on your computer (in AppData, if on Microsoft Windows), and you can track down that tcx file and upload it to RA.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I'm having the same issue, but I have a Garmin 305, and it's happening on both my laptop from work and on my desktop PC at home.  I'm running Firefox on the home PC and IE 8 (?) on the laptop from work.  I haven't tried t upload in a couple of weeks, so I can't pinpoint exactly when it started happening.

MTA: I've been using the auto upload feature on RA for at least a couple years and have had no problems before this.

I updated the Garmin Connect software on both PCs. also.

eric :)

mgerwn,

When you plug in the GPS, does it say it's charging?  If it does, then try cleaning the contacts on the back of the GPS with some dish soap and water.  That is the one reliable fix for my 305 when it cannot be detected.

eric Smile

mgerwn,

When you plug in the GPS, does it say it's charging?  If it does, then try cleaning the contacts on the back of the GPS with some dish soap and water.  That is the one reliable fix for my 305 when it cannot be detected.

eric Smile

I've also discovered that cleaning with a pencil eraser works well.

Walk-Jogger

I've also discovered that cleaning with a pencil eraser works well.

Only problem with this is that pencil erasers frequently contain pumice, which will very quickly erase the vapor-thin layer of gold on the contacts as well as the crud, which will then increase the speed at which they develop corrosion and poor surface contact with the charging/data cable in the future.

I rinse my Garmin 110 contacts under running water for a second and then towel dry them after a run to remove sweat and dirt. When more is needed, I use a Q-tip and some isoprophyl alcohol on them.

Retired &  Loving It

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

You need to download the .tcx file from Garmin Connect and then upload the file into RunningAhead. That's what I do, at least.

This is not necessary once and if you get it working directly.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Cat Herder

I have a Garmin 205 and I always have this problem, and I need to close and reopen my browser repeatedly for it to work. It seems to be an RA problem since the Garmin Connect website always works on the first try, but no one else seems to be having problems...

Evolving body parts

My experience with FR 305 on Win7 and Chrome browser:

About 4 out of 5 times I have transfer failure while reading from the Garmin (the plugin recognized the device and transfer starts, but fails at a random percentage). BTW it's about the same failure rate with SportTracks, so it's not a browser plugin thing. 

It behaves best if: 

* I connect the Garmin BEFORE turning on the computer

* I kill all funny and unnecessary processes like ACDSee / Evernote auto whatever that may be messing with the USB

* Kill the Chrome processes too just in case (scary that they're there even before starting up Chrome)

* Than start the browser and attempt transfer.

I also have a suspicion that the issue could be USB power related, so I disconnect all external drives etc. if I don't forget. I know I have USB power problem with a card reader I use - drops out in the middle of a file transfer. For the same reason it's worth trying a different USB port. 

eric :)

I have a Garmin 205 and I always have this problem, and I need to close and reopen my browser repeatedly for it to work. It seems to be an RA problem since the Garmin Connect website always works on the first try, but no one else seems to be having problems...

Garmin Connect's ability to access your workouts is no indication that the problem is with RA.  I've seen many instances where GC corrupts the data cached on users' computers such that the Garmin Communicator plugin does not work on another site.  I've also know of one instance where the Garmin Communicator was specifically programmed to work only with GC and nowhere else.

If you have automatic upload to GC enabled, try disabling it and upload to RA first to see if that makes a difference.  Garmin's software is very buggy, but for some reason, these bugs only exhibit themselves on other websites and not theirs.