Slow Down (Read 1910 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Solid advice.
      Thanks, Trent, my right leg has been trying to tell me that same thing Roll eyes

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Regina

I agree completely!!! But I don't succeed in convincing my friends - they are all afraid to degrade their race performances ... Roll eyes A recent experience: On Sunday before last we planned a joint training - a long run of 19 km. We were a group of about 15, among us 4 women, one still a newbie. The course was not flat, it has about 260 hm on the whole distance. Most of the men usually run faster than me, maybe at pace 4:30 in a 10k race, while I manage about 5:10 on a flat course and a good day. But some are also slower, particularly on the HM! Alone I would have run at a pace of about 7:30. So I thought that 7:00 might have been o.k. for the group. But it was not. We ran the first half of the course at 6:00, which was quite fast considering the ups and downs. I tried to slow them down continuously, talking, staying behind with our newbie etc. But it didn't help! The consequence was that half of the group abridged the training and went back to the meeting point - where we had parked our cars - before, doing less kms than planned. I ran my own pace on the second half and remained alone behind the rest of the group. In the end I averaged a pace of 6:30 - still too fast. But at least the picknick was ready when I arrived. Wink I decided that in future I will do my long runs alone. Group training only on days where I plan faster runs!! Yes
          Thanks, Trent, my right leg has been trying to tell me that same thing Roll eyes
          DITTO!! I tend to start out too fast while training. I really REALLY need to keep that in check

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

va

Great advice!!!
              Definetly GREAT advice!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Definetly GREAT advice!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Definetly GREAT advice!
                  Definitely great abs! Wow! Shocked What an avatar! Sorry, carry on...

Why is it sideways?

TRENT! Since when have you become an advocate of moderation? Roll eyes
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

TRENT! Since when have you become an advocate of moderation? Roll eyes
                      Never. Not me. Just trying to slow down those other 2000 milers so I don't look so bad... Evil grin

Why is it sideways?

Never. Not me. Just trying to slow down those other 2000 milers so I don't look so bad... Evil grin
                        Just as I suspected... Wink
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Teach me to take the first couple of weeks slowly. Now I'm already in catchup mode. On an unrelated note: new philosopher? On an unrelated note: I saw you marked that Lynnewood hill/hell run as "easy". Sheesh.

Why is it sideways?

On an unrelated note: new philosopher? On an unrelated note: I saw you marked that Lynnewood hill/hell run as "easy". Sheesh.
                            New philosopher. Would you like a hint? Lynnewood Hill: not easy. The company: pleasant. The pace, for me: easy. Blush But it does speak to the virtues of running at an easy pace. I felt great the next day, running the 11.2 in 1:11ish... that was not easy. Big grin
                            JakeKnight

Interesting thread. And since I'm admittedly a Galloway fan (or at least started my running that way), I don't disagree with the basic philosophy. A peek at my log shows that 90% of my runs are slow, no faster than 9:00 per mile pace. I'm all about long and slow, and walking where necessary, as I've preached ad nauseum. BUT ... I also know that this is a controversial topic, and that there a whole lot of people that argue that "long slow running = long slow racing," that you race like you train, that the tempo run is the most important run in your schedule, etc. I hope to hear from both sides on this one, for my own education. Modified to add: Somebody make sure KookyKlaire reads this thread. Wink

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------