Slow Down (Read 1910 times)

RunningHammer

I took JK's advice from another thread - now 80-90% of my runs are easy with one speed session and one long session per week... Do i get some brownie points? Wink

Why is it sideways?

BUT ... I also know that this is a controversial topic, and that there a whole lot of people that argue that "long slow running = long slow racing," that you race like you train, that the tempo run is the most important run in your schedule, etc. I hope to hear from both sides on this one, for my own education.
      I'm not sure there are two sides to this debate, JK, unless one side is that only running slow will make you fast and the other is that only running fast will make you fast. I don't think anyone holds either of those positions. I've really worked this year on slowing down my easy runs (once or twice a week), but I've paired that strategy with a promise to myself to get to the track every third day or so to run faster than my aerobic pace (threshold running or critical velocity). I've also added 60m strides at the end of my easy runs to stay in touch with speed. I can really tell the difference between this type of strategy and my old bone-headed hardman strategy of running as hard as I can every day. The difference is that I'm fresh for my hard days--and able to run my tempos/intervals well. The advice I'd give is common sense: run your easy days easy and your hard days hard. If you're gasping for air on your easy days, then you're training poorly. But if you're never gasping for air, you're not pushing your limits.

Finished!

Smile definitely good advice!
        Walk + Jog = wog.
        I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
        I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
          That's such good advice. I'm still at that stage where most of my runs are actually run/walk combos and I have to admit that if I see another runner out on a run (which I often do) I always pick it up try and run when I see them as I worry more about what they will think of me than my own progess and wellbeing (god I'm so dumb!). Good to be reminded to only train within the boundaries of what I can do - thanx Smile
          "Tough times don't last but tough people do." - A.C. Green
          JakeKnight

I'm not sure there are two sides to this debate, JK, unless one side is that only running slow will make you fast and the other is that only running fast will make you fast. I don't think anyone holds either of those positions.
            Actually, the debate I see almost every time this comes up is more something like: Galloway types suggesting that faster running is generally a recipe for injury and pretty much a waste of time for all but competitive runners ... and the other side suggesting that long slow running will never, ever make you fast, and is the real waste of time, except for recovery runs. Not sure anybody suggests that long and slow is the only way to get fast, but there are plenty of people out there who will tell you long and slow is a good way to never get fast. Here's a pretty good example of the debate I usually see on the topic - and it gets ugly. (Actually reading that board makes me appreciate this one). If you scroll down a bit, a guy named MacBean and some other guy sum up the anti-slow argument pretty well. He seems like a total @$%@, but his ideas seem pretty popular whenever the discussion comes up: http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/609106477/m/7891007411 And for those interested in the "big name" types, here's a general rundown of their contrasting views on the pacing for a "long slow run": http://www.competitiverunner.com/long_run_pace2.html Galloway isn't included in the last article, but his philosophy is easy to sum up: you can't go too slow. Interesting to compare that to Pfitzinger and especially Lydiard, who was obviously a sadist. Speaking of Lydiard, I have a question: in that article, he's quoted as describing his pace for a long run (after a period of base mileage build-up) as being "keep the effort just below that point where it can overbalance into anaerobic running." Assuming he actually said that, isn't that exactly the definition of a tempo run - run at a pace as fast as you can without going anaerobic? Enlighten me, somebody. It's reading stuff like this that makes me glad I'm still at the point where it's DEFINITELY all about mostly slow base mileage. --------------------------------------------------- By the way, make sure you check out the training plan of the guy who started that Runner's World thread. Shocked Now there's a simple training plan. He must not actually like running very much.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Why is it sideways?

JK--looking through those forums, I found people mainly misunderstanding each other rather than representing different positions on training. It's true, you will never be able to run sub 16:00 in the 5k if you only run 9:00 miles in training. But I don't think that anyone makes that claim. Macbean's claim (yes, he's a jerk) that LSD "only helps with recovery" is really an acknowledgment that running long and slow is an important part of training. The dilemma of quantity of miles vs. quality of running involves a false choice. The answer is to get faster you must increase both, and the degree to which they are mixed will depend upon several factors: your own body's response to training, your strengths and weaknesses as a runner, your racing goals (5k or marathon?), etc. My opinion is that many runners who begin running later in life will improve more rapidly by incorporating speed work into their routine, primarily because speed is the weakness of the older runner, not endurance. And I would put the emphasis on speedwork mainly because that's the harder stuff to motivate for. LSD is fun. Busting your ass on the track is work. But it has its rewards as well. Each individual must experiment with different strategies. If I were coaching you, JK, from the limited info that your log gives, I would hypothesize that you are, indeed, running your long runs too slowly. The variation in the pace of my training is about 2 minutes--my easy runs are about 7:30 pace and my tempos drop down to 5:30 pace. In working towards my last marathon, I ran no runs longer than 1:45, and only one run longer than 1:30. Overdistance without a certain amount of quality can be a waste of time, or even counter-productive: teaching your body to run slow. I would advise, as an experiment, trying to keep all of your running under 9:30 pace for a while to see if you can develop comfort and efficiency there to be able to maintain that as an easy pace. If that means no runs over 10 miles for a few weeks, so be it. This post is already way too long, but I want to say one more thing. 'Easy' doesn't necessarily mean slow. And 'Fast doesn't necessarily mean hard. If you don't let the easy days when you're feeling good turn into unplanned tempo runs on occasion, then you risk getting stuck in the same old easy pace. The one running plan you don't want to experiment with is the one that has you running the same slow pace all the time. That's a plan without experimentation, and it will, indeed, leave you stuck being the same slow runner.

Me and my gang in Breck

This definetly is the way that I train. Fast runs only give me problems. It takes years to build the muscle and stamina to withstand the stress without injury.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Now that was a bath...

Roll eyes I might. Then again I might not. Tell you what, when I get as fast as you i'll think about it. Wink
                  Modified to add: Somebody make sure KookyKlaire reads this thread. Wink
                  Well I am her secretary and she dictated that she is too busy reading Lydiard to bother.
                • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Now that was a bath...

JK - My Lydiard schedule devised for women says the same line - 'Run a big initial mileage, concentrating for as many months as possible on pure aerobic running, keeping the effort just below the point at which it overbalances into anaerobic running.' Lydiard suggests that as long as this initial stage is not run anaerobicly, maximum gain happens when the pace is kept just below the point of transition. In other words running long and slow is fine if it is done at a pace just below the anaerobic threshold but has little long term gain if you are running a slow jog that is too far into your comfort zone. Getting the level right is what Lydiard training is all about. To quote again 'You will be doing a lot of running at speeds just within your maximum steady state to place the upmost safe aerobic pressure on your cardio-respiratory and cardio-vascular systems and gain the best possible progressive development. Once you have established approximately the best aerobic effort for each course you can then cover succeeding runs to previously planned times. You may have been under the impression that marathon type training involves slow running. This is not so. Runners that keep their speed just within the maximum steady state will gain the same general cardiac development in far less time than the runners who train at speeds far below the maximum steady state.' Lydiard - Running with Lydiard. I firmly bleieve that this is one of the reasons that I have progressed reasonably quickly in my first two months running. I run about as fast as I can bear without running so fast I have to stop. Claire xxx
                  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                      My opinion is that many runners who begin running later in life will improve more rapidly by incorporating speed work into their routine, primarily because speed is the weakness of the older runner, not endurance.
                      I'd love to believe this, but it seems the 35 year old me has a lot more trouble recovering from interval workouts than the 20 year old me did.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Here's a pretty good example of the debate I usually see on the topic - and it gets ugly. (Actually reading that board makes me appreciate this one). If you scroll down a bit, a guy named MacBean and some other guy sum up the anti-slow argument pretty well. He seems like a total @$%@, but his ideas seem pretty popular whenever the discussion comes up: http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/609106477/m/7891007411
                        The biggest thing I took away from this was a sense of thankfulness people like this don't post on RA. The issue at stake is goals. I mean, if your goal is to cut down your 5K/10K time by x minutes, I completely disagree with this "run slow" program (well, not so much a program as an idea).... But in all honesty, I'm equally impressed by those on this site who have posted about dropping an eighth of their body weight, running an ultra-ultra at whatever pace, or starting seriously running after being sedentary for life and being reinvigorated by it, or those who run because they enjoy the physical act of running and being out in nature. That's the funny thing about running. It is the most arbitrary sport in the world. There are an infinite number of runs, ways to do it. "I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's." -William Blake

Why is it sideways?

I'd love to believe this, but it seems the 35 year old me has a lot more trouble recovering from interval workouts than the 20 year old me did.
                          Yes--that's right, but perhaps that's because speed is your area of weakness. Believe me, I can't run the way I did when I was 22. I have to take longer to recover. But that doesn't mean that fast running is not essential to my training. In fact, I have to be more careful about my easy running so that I can squeeze more quality out as I get older. And by interval training, I'm not talking about busting out 400s at 5k pace. I'm talking about running at or slightly faster than threshold pace. Xanadu wins for post of the day (at least in this thread). Runningahead is awesome because it's civil and encouraging of the variety of types of running. My attitude towards running is most like Claire's--run hard or go home. I've had to temper that attitude over time with a bit of intelligence and patience (those are my weaknesses). We all run for different reasons. The single most important factor for success in running is to be able to identify the reasons why you run and reflect on what it will take to get you there. The information is out there, but the system you choose must mesh with your own temperament and personality. If it ain't enjoyable, you won't stick with it, and that would be the worst shame of all.
                          JakeKnight

Okay, this (thoroughly highjacked) thread now has me thoroughly confused. A lot of good stuff, but completely contradictory, which is pretty much par for the course. You do realize that in a thread titled "Slow Down," our resident wunderkind just said this: "I run about as fast as I can bear without running so fast I have to stop." And Jeff just just told me NOT to slow down. No wonder I'm confused. It's all as clear as mud. Fortunately, I'm drinking beer and don't care. I have lots of questions. Like I still want to know how a run just below the anaerobic threshold is anything other than a tempo run. Or who that new philosopher in Jeff's avatar is. Or who the next Cowboys head coach will be. Or who Scrappy Doo's mother was. Velma? Oh, that's just wrong. But I think I'll be smart for once, and just skip the questions - and in the morning, just go for a run. Maybe I'll even leave the watch at home.
                            The biggest thing I took away from this was a sense of thankfulness people like this don't post on RA.
                            Amen. In spades. Dear God, was that place ugly or what?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

mikeymike

A lot of these types of discussions tend to turn into arguments over semantics. I think some terms get taken way too literally especially by beginners but also by experienced runners with a particular world view. Easy is a relative term for a distance runner. Running for 8 miles at 2 minutes per mile slower than your 5k race pace is relatively easy compared to racing a 5K, but it's a hell of a lot harder than walking the kids to school. Or it should be if you want to get faster. Part of the hardening process of training is getting comfortable with being uncomfortable and then being able to distinguish between all the various degrees of uncomfortable. This hardening is what allows an experienced runner to write "easy" in his log book next to the entry for a 10 mile run done near the high end of aerobic (or the low end of uncomfortable) and mean it. Also is there a signup sheet for the Jeff fan club around here?

Runners run

Prophet!

Also is there a signup sheet for the Jeff fan club around here?
                                sign me up for that fan club! I like the idea of going on hard days and easy on easy days so I can go harder on the hard days..i get more of an enjoyment out of it because my ultimate goal is to run faster and longer, longer and faster, so I need to work on both .I'm pretty new to running so my speedwork is pretty limited to tempo runs and some fartleks at the moment but I run those pretty hard (relative to my own pace and effort) but i'm looking forward to start incorporating track and balancing it with the long easy runs..