Kettlebell training and running (Read 8936 times)

C-R

Sounds about right, kettlebell training when done correctly can be a very painful (in a good way). I would just make sure your near a mirror or have someone watching you do the swings so your form is correct especially on the last couple reps of each set when your struggling. 

Heh. Sounds correct. First time I went through a circuit my butt hurt so ba I couldn't sit properly. 5 minutes of Turkish gets ups sounds like quote a bit. Be careful with those as they can cause injury an you won't even realize it. I've been there. Neck strain.

What weight? It took me a month to move up from my initial weight.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

i sacrificed the gift

I'm on the 1 pood one now.  I am doing it with a trainer which really helps.
      Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
      Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
      Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA
      C-R

Good your working with a trainer on these. Enjoy the burn and the results.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

i sacrificed the gift

Just want to say that I am now convinced that this is pretty much the most awesome form of exercise ever.
          Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
          Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
          Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA
          maryclaire

I have been KB training under supersvision for 6 months now.  in the interim, my running was stopped between November - January due to partial hamstring tears which required 2 blood injections.  Each injection required 2 weeks lower body rest afterwards- but other than that, I have managed to keep up the training, and have used m the kb training as part of a bigger training regime to rehab the glute med/hamstring. 

normally I will run in the morning of a kb session, with the kb training several hours later.  However one day recently I had to switch this around.  During the run several hours after the weights, I found my hamstring injury really bothersome - to the point where I thought I was doing damage and pulled out of the run.  A few days later at a check up with the Sports Dr, I mentioned the pain and whether it was connected to the kb training.  He said definitely: make sure that running occurs PRIOR to any weights, esp dynmaic weights such as kb's.

I had another of my usual kb sessions yesterday - pulled up ok today with only minimal DOMS.  However this afternoon I ran a very easy tempo sesion (still rehabbing the injury) - and have pulled up several hours later with significant hamstring DOMS.  I am sure it is a correlation between yesterday's kb workout and todays' faster-than-normal running effort.  It just goes to show that these exercises are indeed effective - yet should be treated with caution.  I will in future schedule only easy running for the 24-36 hours after a kb session.

As an aside: During my kb sessions, we also do a large amount of training on a webbing device similar to the trx.  It has been instrumental in rebuilding my damaged hamstring.

"run" "2" "eat"

i tried the kettlebell and found it lacking. i am instead doing the cowbell program. the good thing about the cowbell program is that it really has no ceiling, because as you know - there's no such thing as too much cowbell.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

bsquare4115

Hi, I've been a runner for about 5 years and have been doing kettlebells for almost two years now and I've noticed that I've burned more calories and fat and have become more toned when doing about 100-150 swings with the kb before my running than just running alone. It has something to do with helping your body get to a quicker fat burning state so that once you get to the running your body is already ready to burn calories whereas if just running it may take about half a mile to get your body to that level. So now I always to a little kettlebell workout before I run and get really great results.

Do I detect the whiff of  astroturf

SMART Approach

Kettlebells have been around a LONG time. It is all about marketing. You can do most things with a dumbbell or cable but we like the look of a Kettlebell and the nice smooth handle. There are some advantages but I do most everything with a dumbbell. Last night I did the swings with a dumbbell. As far as improving running. Well, squating and core movements are great. I don't think they will magically make you faster (more running does that) but can build strength in key places and help as an injury preventative for running and life in general.  The exercises are also very metabolic because the whole body is involved. If you are limited for time and want to do some resistance training, a Kettlebell workout is a nice option.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I'm curious if anyone else here does kettlebell training along with their running.  

wow.  that would be a hard workout but it does multi-task.