Anemia and Running (Read 1040 times)

Good to know, Knifey! You managed to get it all fixed up? Did you figure out what caused the anemia?

It was just as you said...a) woman + b) runner + c) vegetarian with a carb/dairy only diet = anemia

I've since drastically improved my diet, and though it took a long time, I seem to have it under control.

Did/does anyone else get the weird pica symptom with their anemia?  Or am I the only one?

No pica symptom here.  I did, however, start to really want things with tomato sauce.  Usually tomato sauce + running = heartburn for me so I mostly avoid it.  I was seriously craving tomato stuff, however.  Apparently this is fairly normal with anemia as well from what I found.

Thanks for the info on what caused yours!

It was just as you said...a) woman + b) runner + c) vegetarian with a carb/dairy only diet = anemia

I've since drastically improved my diet, and though it took a long time, I seem to have it under control.

Did/does anyone else get the weird pica symptom with their anemia?  Or am I the only one?

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, parasites can cause bleeding in the gut too. Officers can also be a cause. anything that leads to chronic low-level blood loss can lead to an iron deficiency anemia. You should also know that vitamin C deficiency can reduce your ability to absorb iron. So if you are taking iron supplements, it is reasonable to consider vitamin C. I believe that is the correct vitamin for this. I'll look it up when I get a chance.

Feeling the growl again

Yes, parasites can cause bleeding in the gut too. Officers can also be a cause. anything that leads to chronic low-level blood loss can lead to an iron deficiency anemia. You should also know that vitamin C deficiency can reduce your ability to absorb iron. So if you are taking iron supplements, it is reasonable to consider vitamin C. I believe that is the correct vitamin for this. I'll look it up when I get a chance.

Vitamin C is correct.  And avoid any other divalent cations (calcium, zinc, etc) or food containing high levels of them (like milk) when you take the iron as they will inhibit absorption.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

What are officers?

Best Present Ever

Pica is pretty common with anemia.  Often manifests as crunching on ice.  

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ha. Not officers. Ulcers. Siri got that one wrong.

Feeling the growl again

Ha. Not officers. Ulcers. Siri got that one wrong.

I dunno....officers may do it too...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Pica is pretty common with anemia.  Often manifests as crunching on ice.  

I focused mine on Baked Ruffles and really, really crunchy apples! Certain ice worked though.

Jeniffer

I am new to this forum but I am liking the discussions going.. Glad to be here.

Things are looking up with iron supplements.

RBC    5.05    4.00-5.0010\S\6/uL	   High	
                        HGB 10.71 2.0-16.0g/dL Low
                        HCT 35.1 38.0-45.0% Low
                        MCV 69.58 2.0-97.0fL Low
                        MCH 21.2 28.0-34.0pg Low
                        MCHC 30.5 32.0-36.0g/dL Low
                        RDW 28.5 11.5-14.5% High

Ferritin is terrible though at 9.7 ng/ML

Another check scheduled 8 weeks from now.

It also shows this, but I have no idea what it means.  Trent?

Hypochromia 2+ 
                        Anisocytosis 3+
                        Ovalocytes 1+
                        Tear drop cells 1+
                        Schistocytes 1+

Old numbers from a few weeks ago: 

RBC     4.2     4.00-5.00     10\S\6/uL	
                        HGB 8.4 12.0-16.0 g/dL Low
                        HCT 27.6 38.0-45.0 % Low
                        MCV 65.8 82.0-97.0 fL Low
                        MCH 20 28.0-34.0 pg Low
                        MCHC 30.4 32.0-36.0 g/dL Low
                        RDW 20.2 11.5-14.5 % High

I was "diagnosed" with anemia a few years ago. I don't remember the number but it was in the 70's and it supposed to be 110+ (Canadian units.) however, 2 weeks on 100mg of elemental iron twice per day and I felt great. 6 weeks and I felt awesome. Had a routine colonoscopy since which didn't show anything. I thought it was just something runners get because we have high iron requirements and iron is poorly absorbed and difficult to get in some diets. Anyway, I hope you feel better.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

I know i have low iron, but I haven't been able to take any tests to determine the cause. All I know is that it's a pain in the ass when it comes to running because I develop asthma-like symptoms (shortness of breath, wheezing, unable to breathe normally until I stop running) in the heat/humidity or when I attempt speed workouts. It sucks. I should pick up more iron pills.

In transit, arriving on time.