Running belt (Read 132 times)

Gizmo2019

what do you seasoned marathoners like to use for belts whether for training runs or for actual race day?

i have heard some people wear hydration belts during marathons! 26.2 miles with water bottles attached to your hips? What’s wrong with the water stations?

I was looking at the flipbelt brand. A friend told me I wouldn’t need water or gel packs until after I start running over 10 miles.

runnin gal

I have never carried drinks for a marathon. As far as gels,etc I actually prefer shorts with pockets over a belt, but when I have used one I have found that the SPI belt or similar is easier to get into than the flip belt. The Roo Sport magnetic pouch is also nice if you don't have quite enough pocket space. Road Runner Sports has shorts with 2 side zip pockets and a back pocket with velcro closure.  Race Ready shorts are another option with multiple pockets.

As far as not needing gel/water until you go over 10 mi, weather is a factor there, and I prefer to take in something before I feel like I need it. Also it's a good idea to get accustomed to whatever gels etc you're going to use.  If the drink offered at race aid stations will be something new to you it's good to use that on your training runs. Good luck.

Gizmo2019

Awesome information thank you. I think I would also prefer to go without a belt if I could get away with it. I absolutely hate accessories as it is. Any pants with zippers? I don’t wear shorts 😳

caldwell614

I like SPI belt as it is smaller. I use it for my phone since I have to be available in case there is an emergency with kids. I will hold a water bottles for longer runs. My bottle has a strap so it is on my hand but I don't have to squeeze it to hold it. I have to switch hands every few miles, but it has a pouch for gels.

It is possible you won't need water or gel until over 10, but there are multiple factors. I usually follow this, but carry water over 6 in the summer and I sweat a lot. If you are running 10 miles at 8 or 9 min pace per mile I would take gel, but if you are over 9 min mile, you may need water or gel at lower mileage. I usually try to take calories/water at about an hour in to my run. For 8 miles at 8min/mile I will be almost done so there is no point. However if I am running 12 min miles, I will be at an hour 5 miles in so an 8 mile run would require some fuel.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

In the summer I take water on all runs

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I absolutely love my flip belt.  It’s so comfortable compared to anything else I’ve used.  The clip on the SPIBelt I used previously would wear the skin off the small of my back on longer runs and make me bleed.  I love the flip belt so much that I bought a second one for just everyday use.

Leah, mother of dogs

I use a spibelt, and I have been happy with it. I only use it for races. For any long training runs, I typically just keep gels in my pockets, since I usually have no more than a couple (I use 4 for a marathon). I do not carry water during races, there are always enough aid stations. Nothing's wrong with them, some people just For long training runs, I have a handheld water bottle with a strap.

Which training runs require water and/or gels is a purely personal decision, and something you may need to experiment with. I don't use anything up to 16 miles, unless it's particularly warm or if I'm including a quality workout portion. In that case, or for any longer distance, I carry my handheld & take a gel every 7-8 miles.

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have never carried drinks for a marathon. As far as gels,etc I actually prefer shorts with pockets over a belt, but when I have used one I have found that the SPI belt or similar is easier to get into than the flip belt. The Roo Sport magnetic pouch is also nice if you don't have quite enough pocket space. Road Runner Sports has shorts with 2 side zip pockets and a back pocket with velcro closure.  Race Ready shorts are another option with multiple pockets.

As far as not needing gel/water until you go over 10 mi, weather is a factor there, and I prefer to take in something before I feel like I need it. Also it's a good idea to get accustomed to whatever gels etc you're going to use.  If the drink offered at race aid stations will be something new to you it's good to use that on your training runs. Good luck.

I have a Nathan belt - similar to a SpiBelt, and a Roo Sport.  I actually use them only rarely, specifically for carrying my phone and/or gels in marathons. I only take my phone on training runs if I'm anticipating extraordinary photo ops, and only in races if I need to get in touch with somebody at the finish.

Side note on the Roo Sport (per my wife): They're a pretty neat accessory for women in a variety of situations, not only for running, because so often, women's pants don't have pockets.

npaden

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Marylander

I have a cheapo hydration belt from amazon which holds 2 bottles. Then I supplement with 4 (yes, 4) buddy pouches (magnetic bottle holders) when I need more liquids on a run. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010C65V2I/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Figuring out how much I sweat on hot days was a game changer for me and made me realize that carrying liquids with me when doing longish training runs is not an option. The 6 bottles I carry don't come close to replacing what I sweat out but it's so much better than when I used to carry nothing.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I am not a seasoned marathoner (never ran one) but I do run in places where I have to carry stuff and have one of these:

https://www.nakedsportsinnovations.com/shop-online/naked-running-band

and it's my fave piece of gear!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Gizmo2019

Thank you guys! I’ve been looking over all the reviews in everything mentioned here. I’ll probably try something that I can add on a water holder and bottle. Or look into carrying water by hand. I didn’t realize how large the gel packs are. It’s like the size of baby food pouches...

thanks again!

I'm in the camp that doesn't see a need to carry anything in a RACE, because stuff is supplied for you at the aid stations. But, some long training runs may take you on routes where there are no water fountains, or you may want to take in nourishment or some magic supplement water of your own liking.

I think the Salomon belts are the Gold Standard for comfort and practicality, but might be a bit spendy for some. However, most of these belts will last 10+ years, so it's not a bad investment. I have their less technical Agile belt, and it works fine for carrying one soft flask and some assorted snacks and gear without bouncing. It CAN hold two bottles, but the one time I tried it was too much weight for it to be comfortable while running (bounced and moved around unless the belt was really tight, and then it was too tight for me).

I don't like stuff in my hands, I barely tolerate wearing a watch, something I only do when running, because who doesn't want GPS data available?!

I recently bought some generic belt on Ebay for $10 that has features I was looking for; ability to hold race number and a few zippered pockets for gels, gear, possibly a soft flask. I like the idea of closing compartments rather than just some slits in the lycra. I'm going to use that with my front-bottle vest for an upcoming event.

Why do I mention soft flasks? Because when I've tried using hard sided bottles in my running vest and belt, they poked and chafed and sloshed. Soft flasks do none of that. They conform to the shape of your body, and if you suck out the air and leave only fluid, they CAN'T slosh. Not great for handhelds, though.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Gizmo2019

Thanks Surly. I’m going to do a bit more research . I also donor like Holding and carrying, and prefer zippers over slots. I’ll look into the Salomon and others mentioned. Thank you!

The belt I bought on Ebay was described incorrectly; it just had slits and not zippers as claimed. I returned it.

I recently did a 50k and wore my Mountain Hardwear vest, mainly because it was COLD at the start and I wanted to be able to stash my layers as it got warmer, and to have them when we got up to the very cold and windy 4000' part of the trail.

I stuck one 450ml softflask in it and refilled at aid stations, small packet of lube, and half a dozen gels (race did not supply any at aid stations). Other than the bottle, I could have put that stuff in the pockets of my shorts.

Once back down to 2000' at station 4 22 miles into race, I left all my layers in my drop bag, but still wore the vest because it was easy to get at my water and replenished gels.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying