Recovery ? (Read 692 times)

rkeddie

Which is the best way to promote recovery the day after a hard run? A) A recovery run B) Rest C) A fist full of Advil

Which is the best way to promote recovery the day after a hard run? A) A recovery run B) Rest C) A fist full of Advil
      A or B depending upon your level of fitness. A fist full of Advil will actually set you back because you will be sabotaging your body's ability to repair itself through swelling, which means that it takes longer to recover. You are also at higher risk of ulcers. If you are in good shape (25-50 miles per week for example, depending upon your own experience/body type/training intensity levels) then a recovery run at a very easy pace can promote blood flow through your muscles, washing out waste products and toxins created during the previous workout. It'll also feel good to get a nice stretch in. Note that taking a walk can be just as effective as an easy run. If you aren't ready to be competitive, then you should probably take the rest day. Just make sure that you eat enough to provide your body with the building blocks it needs to repair your muscles, and be aware that you may need more than 1 day of rest.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Depends on your body - if in doubt rest. Personally, I find recovery runs help more after speedwork. After a long run it's hit or miss but typically I rest or do a short recovery run. If I end up with back to back hard days, e.g. race then long run, I take the next day off.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

rkeddie

Sorry. The Advil was a poor joke. I just finished the don't take Advil thread. I am ramping up for a 55mpw marathon training plan, and curious as to whether a complete rest day or a recovery run would be more beneficial when I start to get that beaten up, mid training plan feeling.

Prince of Fatness

I vote for A unless you don't think you have enough self control to keep your pace real easy. Then I would say B. I've found that I recover quicker if I do some easy exercising, even if it is just walking. I would try to avoid C.

Not at it at all. 

I'd vote for motion of some sort. Recovery run if that works for you, hike or bike - but keep the body moving. I tend to have a lot of hills in my long runs, so the day after may prefer something with less impact. Also, if I overdo something, sometimes a day of little activity can be really helpful for me. But if you're building toward 55 mpw, I'm guessing you should be able to handle a recovery run, esp. if you have a rest day in your schedule.
              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Sorry. The Advil was a poor joke. I just finished the don't take Advil thread. I am ramping up for a 55mpw marathon training plan, and curious as to whether a complete rest day or a recovery run would be more beneficial when I start to get that beaten up, mid training plan feeling.
                No worries. Anybody that comes behind though will get the notion not to take the advil, even though they never saw that thread. Smile If you are going to be running 55 mpw then an easy recovery run or walk is probably the way you want to go. You can always try both and see what you respond to better, or let your schedule dictate what you do.

Run to Win

Think Whirled Peas

Yeah, if you're up to 55 mpw, I would think a recovery run would be in order, most of the time. FWIW, I've been doing my recovery runs on the dreadmill for two reasons; 1) I can control my pace (REALLY, REALLY slow) better on it, and B) I friggin' HATE running on it, so I don't usually end up running more than 3-5 miles on it. Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Hah, that sounds like a great use of the dreadmill. I still think I'll pass...

Run to Win

Yeah, if you're up to 55 mpw, I would think a recovery run would be in order, most of the time. FWIW, I've been doing my recovery runs on the dreadmill for two reasons; 1) I can control my pace (REALLY, REALLY slow) better on it, and B) I friggin' HATE running on it, so I don't usually end up running more than 3-5 miles on it. Q
                      also if you have a quality dreadmill the impact on your joints should be a bit less than the roads.
                        I actually recommend a bike ride. A bike ride will generate blood flow and flush toxins through the muscles in your legs without stressing the joints. Just my two cents.
                        And who am I anyway?
                        Just another fat jogger, evidently.

A Saucy Wench

I like biking or swimming for something post race when a run seems absolutely out of the question...usually only a marathon or a multi-leg relay causes that kind of soreness for me. Otherwise a light run. But sometimes I wake up and I just feel an all over deep down body fatigue...and then I take a rest day.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7