Training Speed (Read 584 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

New to this site and enjoying the huge range of topics discussed. I have been running on and off for 20 yrs but never got to much involved with the technical side of things. Running is going fairly well at moment and I hope to complete the local 10k in June in a sub 40 time. Something I have achieved previously in training but never in a race. I am currently training at around 7min mile pace and going ok but when i increase the pace I always seem to get injured (calf strains mainly.) I only do about three runs a week between 6 & 7 miles each but tend to push myself for each run. Can anyone advise me what pace i should be training at to achieve my sub 40 goal. Thanks

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Scout7

Probably around an 8 minute pace, and then increase your volume.
      Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Dont know if i could run that slow and still enjoy it, but better Slow Miles than No Miles! Dont really have time to up the milage. Isuppose a compromise is needed!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

I think you could continue to run closer to 7:00 pace if you are only running a few days a week, but you could incorporate a fartlek or tempo day into your regimen. Perhaps you could do something like this: Day 1: 10 miles a little slower (maybe 7:30 - 8:00 pace) Day 2: easy run, 5-8 miles Day 3: warm up, 4-5 sets of (2:00 hard, 1:00 easy, 1:00 hard, :30 easy, :30 hard, :30 easy) Day 4: easy run, 5-8 miles The easy runs could be by feel rather than at a certain pace (I understand not wanting to slow down too much and agree that running faster is more fun) but then the "hard" sections of Day 3 could be done at closer to 6:00 pace with the easy sections around 8-8:30 pace. Another thing you could do is alternate the above "day 3" with a progression run, for instance a six mile run where the pace goes something like this: 8:00, 7:30, 7:15, 7:00, 6:45, 6:30 and then a little jog cooldown. Just a few ideas. Good luck.

SMART Approach

Pushing it every work out will get you injured. You need to warm up jog before the hard stuff. I agree, more days more week with some structure would be more ideal. But, based on what you are saying about running a bit harder in each work out and if you want to continue to run only 3 days a week, I would suggest a progression run each day. Start easy at 8 min pace for a mile or two and progress gradually from there as mentioned above like Aparrish says. Do this for 2 days for 5-7 miles. The other day, try to go longer. Work up to 10 miles. Within these 10 miles, work up 8-12 1 - 2 min Farlek pickups at 5K pace w/ full recovery. Start w/ 4 at 8 miles and progress slowly or every other mile run a bit faster, like 7 min pace or finish last 2 miles at 6:30 - 7:00 pace Finish w/ 4-8 X 100M quick - like 800M pace w/ full recovery Again, work up to this and don't increase miles and intensity at same time. Listen to your body. Give yourself some time and if you are feeling sore or not recovered run easy that day.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Thank you all for replies. Forgot to say I play recreational soccer once a week, about hour and a half. This is a good mix of short sprints and jogging. I probably cover about 10k. As usual I push it so its a tough workout. Will try to incorporate the long slow run and the increasing tempo run.will keep you all informed. Any thoughts on weight training and running? Cheers!