Training Plan Editor (Read 5143 times)

Kalsarikännit

Mr. Smileyface, you never cease to amaze!  Thank you for all your hard work. 

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

You da man!

I do like the enhancement listed above to track actual against planned, but I love the intuitiveness.

wish list. I realize you are already using coloring coding for exercisetype, but I'd like to see my running (easy, tempo, interval) colors. No t sure how to weigh that against the Run v. Bike v. Swim.

But really a nice idea, interface and implementation so far.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
      Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

jeffdonahue

Can we have RA email/SMS us some set amount of time before the planned event (you know, like the night before, so I can make sure I have all my gear ready)? Pretty please? Smile

I like this idea as well.  I used a coach this past season and he had me set up on TrainingPeaks (which meant I had to enter my runs in two places).  RA is far superior, but one thing I did like was getting an email daily telling me what my workouts were for the next two days.

A Saucy Wench

You da man!  (or possibly you suck as now I can see how much I am blowing off my plan) Joking

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Prince of Fatness

Thanks Eric.

Maybe now would be a good time for me to think up some sort of training plan.

Not at it at all. 

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

OK, tried it out more now (my employer would NOT be happy Wink ), and I think it's great!  Visual display is not too cluttered but gets the necessary info out there, dragging and dropping is easy-peasy.  Things I like

- When you click on an entry to edit, it automatically goes to the mileage, since that's what I changed most after copying an entry. 

- The display in calendar mode is color-coded to match my bar graphs for my run entries (didn't see this while editing the training plan, but that's fine - I don't plan to do that all that often)

- The notes I entered pop up and display immediately when I hover over a day (in both training plan and calendar display).  Makes it easy to make sure I copy the right workout, and I can quickly see what the task for a given day is for a future workout.

- The Scheduled Workouts widget for the summary page.  I was going to request a way to display the future plans calendar on the summary screen, but the list of workouts for the next week is a neater and less visually busy solution.  If I need to know more I can just click the calendar.

I did note one behavior I didn't expect, when using the Tab key.  I clicked the workout type dropdown, then typed the beginning letter to an entry (i.e. I started to type "E" for Easy), used the arrow key to select Easy, and then hit Tab.  I expected the Easy type would be selected and the cursor would move to the distance field. Instead it went to another field somewhere on the top of the page (I couldn't determine where).  Not a huge deal, just not what I thought it would do. It was easy to scroll back down to the entry for the day and continue on.

One enhancement I'd like to humbly request for a future revision, would be a way to drop in a potential future race (or event), without adding in the corresponding miles.  For example if there's a local 5K coming up 6 weeks from now and I'm thinking of maybe doing it within my marathon plan just for fun,  the option to drop it in as a "reminder" would be nice.  This could also be useful to drop in other reminders that may affect our plan but may not have miles associated with them, such as vacation days or travel days for work.  I realize that's beyond the scope of a normal training plan that's intended to cover mileage plans, but it would be helpful with planning. I tried dropping in a "no-miles" entry, and the weekly totals went from total miles to "Run 8 times" (which was also pretty cool, by the way). 

Thank you!

Am I doing this right?

This is a top notch feature.  Thanks!

Really, really nice. 

No excuses....

jdais

Great feature.  I was using the calendar to add in planned workouts before, so this is perfect.  Did find a bug when copying a week.  Only the first workout is copied to the next week instead of all workouts. The Save button is too far to the right due to the width of the Calendar.  Keep up the good work

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

jeffdonahue

You da man!  (or possibly you suck as now I can see how much I am blowing off my plan) Joking

Crap, I hadnt thought of that.

e454545rt

I've had more time with it and love it! I've mapped out my next 14 weeks until my first half (which no matter what I do I will be extremely unprepared for).

Is there a printer friendly button for these calendars? I tried just printing from the browser but the fonts all came out small. I was going to print my plan out to put on the fridge. Other than that, a way of making a note without miles might be nice. Like for rest days, or "stretch" days like in Higdon's plans.

vicentefrijole

Good suggestions. One work-around I was just using was to use the "other" category for rest days. You could do the same for reminders of any kind I think (it allows free-text). It won't tally in your running miles since it's not classified as a run. 

Great addition.. I'm really pleased with it so far (only just started using it but the drag-drop works very well).

One enhancement I'd like to humbly request for a future revision, would be a way to drop in a potential future race (or event), without adding in the corresponding miles.  For example if there's a local 5K coming up 6 weeks from now and I'm thinking of maybe doing it within my marathon plan just for fun,  the option to drop it in as a "reminder" would be nice.  This could also be useful to drop in other reminders that may affect our plan but may not have miles associated with them, such as vacation days or travel days for work.  I realize that's beyond the scope of a normal training plan that's intended to cover mileage plans, but it would be helpful with planning. I tried dropping in a "no-miles" entry, and the weekly totals went from total miles to "Run 8 times" (which was also pretty cool, by the way). 

vicentefrijole

+1 

Can we export using iCal so we could see it in our favorite calendars?  Pretty please?  Smile

L Train

Maybe now would be a good time for me to think up some sort of training plan.

Maybe.

A Saucy Wench

Great feature.  I was using the calendar to add in planned workouts before, so this is perfect.  Did find a bug when copying a week.  Only the first workout is copied to the next week instead of all workouts. The Save button is too far to the right due to the width of the Calendar.  Keep up the good work

My weeks copied with no problems.

This is super super slick.  By far the easiest training plan generator I have tried (granted I only have tried a couple before saying why bother)

One enhancement I'd like to humbly request for a future revision, would be a way to drop in a potential future race (or event), without adding in the corresponding miles.

Mgerwin...maybe try creating a new category for it?  I have a ridiculous number of activity types.  What if instead of being a "Run" the activity is something else...like "Optional" - Then you could even keep the miles and on your summary you would have Run:53 miles.  Optional :3.1 miles

With the activity types and workout types you can get alot of detail.

OK - loving the fact that I can just go in and grab someone elses training plan and copy it.  That is slick.  Now I need to delete it because I am NOT running Monkey and Newyork like Mgerwin!

My only question is why does a 4 week training plan say 5 weeks on the summary page etc.?

MTA: Curses...I had so much else I should have been doing today!!!!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7