Training Plan Editor (Read 5143 times)

eric :)

Great idea, but my god this training plan feature is frustrating! I spent a lot of time entering information in, but the program WILL NOT accept data on the dates I enter it. It looks right when I'm entering it, but then when I save and look at my calendar everything is shifted forward one week. I repeatedly tried to shift the date range but it just won't work right. All it does it leave the data on the wrong week and add blank weeks (which I can't delete) on the beginning and/or end of my plan. 

I don't know why everything shifts by a week, nor do I have trouble deleting the weeks at the beginning or end by changing the begin and end dates.  Everyone uses the software differently.  Since I can't see how you use it, you'll have to describe what you did so that I can determine if it's a usability issue or a bug.

Michael Rohlf

Well, I entered a bunch of data in starting on July 3 (tomorrow) and extending for 18 weeks. Then I clicked "save" and went to my calendar. All my data was moved up a week so that, for example, what I entered on July 4 was now on July 11. For some reason what I entered on July 3 was gone. Everything was blank between today and July 11. So I went back to edit the training plan, shifted the dates (which now said that my plan started July 10, although no data was entered on that date) so that the plan started on July 3 and ended on Oct. 30. I clicked save and went to my calendar again, but it still started on July 11, as before. I may have done this twice before attempting to shift the dates again resulted somehow in my plan becoming 19 weeks, so that it started on July 3 and extended until Nov. 6, as if I had extended it forward a week instead of shifting it. But still, when I went to my calendar, the data I entered began on July 11.

As I wrote in my previous entry, I finally got things right by shifting each week one by one. No idea what the problem was before that.

Thanks for your help. Frustrating kinks aside, this is much better than using Google calendar for all this, as I had been.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Thanks Eric.  This is huge.  I am going to use it for sure.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

With the ability to copy plan items, the need to reduce the amount of typing is reduced.

You, sir, just blew my mind. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Patagoniarunner

This is great. I'm about to start training for my first marathon. Was great to set up all the workouts. Looking forward to making great use of this new feature.

Andrew

Black-Toe-Nailed

I have found a bug: 

Even if you set your local to US and units to miles in your preferences and use miles in the plan you get the totals in KM. I have nothing against metrical: I'm European, but I use miles so that I don't have to have the calculator or a spreadsheet constantly open. Not to speak about paces in mile ser minute. 

Would be nice if you fix it to show the weekly totals in miles too !

Thanks

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
              then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
              I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

That's awesome. Thank you, Eric. I tried creating a few training plans. It worked very well. The input was convenient.

One extra feature I can think of is the ability to create reports based on future training plans, or completed training plans.

Thanks

A Saucy Wench

Creating a CSV importer is not hard.  However, I need to feedback on what should be allowed in the CSV so that the format could accommodate the most people.  This will be a future add on.

The standard race distance dropdown will not be possible.  With the ability to copy plan items, the need to reduce the amount of typing is reduced.

I guess one thing I might like that could tie in here is I would love to export a range of past workouts...say the 16 weeks leading up to my PR marathon, and then move them in as the base of a new plan.    Now I could go manually do that but I am lazy and stuff. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jghalvorson

The training plan function is awesome!  I know you've got more work to do on it, but it already does almost all of what I need, and it's tied into the rest of the log functions.  Very cool!  Great job.  Thanks for building it!

Well, I entered a bunch of data in starting on July 3 (tomorrow) and extending for 18 weeks. Then I clicked "save" and went to my calendar. All my data was moved up a week so that, for example, what I entered on July 4 was now on July 11. For some reason what I entered on July 3 was gone. Everything was blank between today and July 11. So I went back to edit the training plan, shifted the dates (which now said that my plan started July 10, although no data was entered on that date) so that the plan started on July 3 and ended on Oct. 30. I clicked save and went to my calendar again, but it still started on July 11, as before. I may have done this twice before attempting to shift the dates again resulted somehow in my plan becoming 19 weeks, so that it started on July 3 and extended until Nov. 6, as if I had extended it forward a week instead of shifting it. But still, when I went to my calendar, the data I entered began on July 11.

As I wrote in my previous entry, I finally got things right by shifting each week one by one. No idea what the problem was before that.

Thanks for your help. Frustrating kinks aside, this is much better than using Google calendar for all this, as I had been.

I haven't been able to reproduce this but I'll keep trying.  If you want to save me some time, see if you can repeat what you did and then provide me with the steps.

I have reproduced the problem.  Working on a fix.

I have found a bug: 

Even if you set your local to US and units to miles in your preferences and use miles in the plan you get the totals in KM. I have nothing against metrical: I'm European, but I use miles so that I don't have to have the calculator or a spreadsheet constantly open. Not to speak about paces in mile ser minute. 

Would be nice if you fix it to show the weekly totals in miles too !

Thanks

It is displaying in km because you set the default distance unit for running as km.  Edit the run activity and change the default unit to mile and it will be right.

I love this new feature. I just made a numerically symmetrical training plan for my next marathon with ease. Sure, I won't stick to it, but that's not your fault. Great job, eric, and thanks!

Tykesmom

Big grin Thanks, Eric!!!!!

Half Fanatic #846

Awesome, Eric!  THANK YOU! 

It's working great for me - and easy to use.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Any way to export to garmin? Would love to have it in my 405.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/