Training Plan Editor (Read 5143 times)

hal313

hal313,

Your request is reasonable.  However, the trouble I'm having with it is where to put it?  There isn't much room left anywhere.  I don't want to add it haphazardly and clutter the interface.  Ideas?

The thought crossed my mind that it might be a bit too cluttered, as well. My initial plan was only a week long, so there was a LOT of real estate to play with.

Please note that I am a software engineer, not a web designer, so my "cool UI ideas" are likely to violate some of the golden rules of UI design!

Two solutions come to mind (in order that I would prefer them):

1.) [Since I would only be interested in the daily totals of the week I am currently working on] append a "slider" that can collapse in between the current week and the next week - in the slider space might be the daily totals; heck - why not let each week collapse, too (this could help with mitigating scrolling for long training plans)

2.) When I hover over the date, show a popup that displays the total (probably a LOT easier from your standpoint, but less desirable from mine)

It is really hard for me to explain *exactly* what I have in mind, but I can scribble it on a napkin and drop it in the mail if you want... Smile Or, I can use MS Paint and show you.

hal313

I think I noticed a possible cosmetic bug - the notes for workouts of type "weight" can be stale.

To reproduce:

Create a training plan

Add a "weight" workout (be sure to put some content in the "note")

Save the training plan

Edit the training plan

Hover over the weight workout

Note the correct content

Change the "note" content

Hover over the weight workout

Note the incorrect (stale) content

Eoin

Love it!

Just uploaded 4 months of marathon training and it didn't take long.

Bring it on! Big grin

Eoin

Next goal: Sub4hr in DCM

http://eobeara.blogspot.com

The shirtless wonder

Greg,

I'm working on an API now.  Even if there's an api, don't you need to store your code somewhere?

I rent a server from serverbeach that I could house code on.  Or I could donate it to your cause.  Smile

Hi Eric,

I know we can see other people's training plans by lurking in folk's logs, but will there be a way just to search training plans - probably by goal race distance?

A

Recalculating...

Julia1971

Hi Julia,

I'm not aware of any problems with the training plan editor.  Is it possible that you're zoomed in/out on the page?  Try pressing Ctrl-0 (zero) to reset the zoom level.  What is your screen resolution?  I do my best to keep all the pages to be viewable on a screen with 1024 pixels wide.

Thanks, Eric.  I tried the Ctrl-0 thing but that didn't work.  Yesterday, I checked to see if I could see the plan on my Blackberry and I could.  So, I deduced it was "user error" on my side rather than a bug on your end.  This morning, I tried viewing the training plan in Firefox and I can see that last column fine.  So, I think maybe my IE settings are wonky.  I did some Googling and am thinking I have some kind of horizontal scrollbar problem.  Anyhow, thanks again!  Big fan of the training plan!

tomatolover

I tried uploading a plan from an excel spread sheet and it's not working-- i think i'm confused about the whole uploading/dragging deal.  What format are you all using for the drag & drop?  

eric :)

Thanks, Eric.  I tried the Ctrl-0 thing but that didn't work.  Yesterday, I checked to see if I could see the plan on my Blackberry and I could.  So, I deduced it was "user error" on my side rather than a bug on your end.  This morning, I tried viewing the training plan in Firefox and I can see that last column fine.  So, I think maybe my IE settings are wonky.  I did some Googling and am thinking I have some kind of horizontal scrollbar problem.  Anyhow, thanks again!  Big fan of the training plan!

Hi Julia,

Were you using IE7 or IE8?  I was looking into some other problem yesterday, I noticed the training plan editor was not formatted correctly in both IE7 and IE8.  I'm surprised no one else reported it since there are many users still using IE7 and IE8.  I fixed it early this morning.

The editor's layout isn't perfect on IE7 and IE8.  I'm chalking it up to both of them are not standards compliant.  It looks much better on Firefox and IE9.

There is also a weird bug in IE8.  It complains about a display problem is causing it to switch to compatibility mode.  I know what's causing it but I don't know why.  It doesn't have this problem in IE9, which leads me to believe it's an IE8 bug but I digress.

eric :)

I tried uploading a plan from an excel spread sheet and it's not working-- i think i'm confused about the whole uploading/dragging deal.  What format are you all using for the drag & drop?  

sixelagogo,

The training plan editor currently does not accept imports from files.  The drag and drop refers to the activity types above the training plan editor calendar.  You should see "Run", "Bike", "Swim", "Weights" and "Other" at the top.  You can drag them onto the calendar and from one day to another.

Julia1971

Hi Julia,

Were you using IE7 or IE8?  I was looking into some other problem yesterday, I noticed the training plan editor was not formatted correctly in both IE7 and IE8.  I'm surprised no one else reported it since there are many users still using IE7 and IE8.  I fixed it early this morning.

The editor's layout isn't perfect on IE7 and IE8.  I'm chalking it up to both of them are not standards compliant.  It looks much better on Firefox and IE9.

There is also a weird bug in IE8.  It complains about a display problem is causing it to switch to compatibility mode.  I know what's causing it but I don't know why.  It doesn't have this problem in IE9, which leads me to believe it's an IE8 bug but I digress.

Fixed!  I can see the weekly mileage totals now...  I'm using IE8.  Don't know why I hadn't moved to IE9, yet, but if it makes viewing the training plan better, I'll look into it.

A Saucy Wench

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, it would be nice if the recorded workout type defaulted to the planned type instead of the most recent run. 

i.e. Sunday plan 5 mi easy, run easy, record easy

Monday plan 5 mi tempo, run tempo, go to record and the default type is easy. manually change to tempo

Tuesday plan 3 mi easy, run easy, go to record, default is tempo

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Believe

Hey Eric:

maybe you should include some motivation in the training plan editor, like if you don't make the run or distance or whatever, a littl emessage pops up that says "YOUR L:AZY"  or "SLOW POKE" or something like that.  I know I would have the most of those comments.Smile

I need it to say STICK TO THE PLAN DUMBASS, don't know why I bothered with making a plan

I'm generally happy with the new training plan features. I do have one little niggle though.

If for some reason I miss a workout due to travel, illness, etc., I'd like to see the missed workout "grayed out" so that it's more clear that I didn't do it. While keeping the colored border for missed workouts sort of works, I'd like to see the text in the same shade as the previous month's entries when in calendar view. You could also wash out the color of the border a little. Come to think of it, you could do both the text and the border with a transparency setting on missed workouts. 

I'm generally happy with the new training plan features. I do have one little niggle though.

If for some reason I miss a workout due to travel, illness, etc., I'd like to see the missed workout "grayed out" so that it's more clear that I didn't do it. While keeping the colored border for missed workouts sort of works, I'd like to see the text in the same shade as the previous month's entries when in calendar view. You could also wash out the color of the border a little. Come to think of it, you could do both the text and the border with a transparency setting on missed workouts. 

I thought the Calender showed this, maybe not with a different transparency, but planned, uncompleted workouts have the colored border around them even after the date has passed.  However this will not show if we had done a substitute workout (like my last saturday run was kind of completed on Sunday), maybe comparing the plan vs the calender views will give me what I want.