Garmin won't sync anymore (Read 181 times)

I have a new Lenovo laptop with Windows 7. I have Google Chrome. Before I was using Firefox and I could usually sync. Now I can't. it says:

Unable to find a GPS device. Please verify it is properly connected to the computer.

I am properly connected.

I usually don't have my garmin connected to the computer until I am ready to download. I then plug into the computer. Place my watch  in the cradle and hit the 'Upload GPS Data' tab.

I tried downloading in Internet Explorer, but that did not help either. I've had this problem the last 3 times I've tried to download. After spending 5 minutes repeatedly trying, it will download for me.

Help me, Eric.

eric :)

Since it's a new computer, did you forget to install Garmin Communicator?  If that isn't it, could you go to the import page and go try to import.  When it fails, click the black triangle on the importer's status bar and send me a message from there.  That'll send me the necessary trace info to see what's going on.

eric Smile

I think I installed garmin communicator right. I have gotten it to dowload some, it just takes forever.

Here's what it says:

Seaching for GarminNetscapePlugin

found GarminNetscapePlugin

Plugin version: 4.0.4.0

Unlocked plugin

plugin.finishFindDevices() completed

Thanks

Which Garmin model do you have?

Forerunner 305

If you still have access to your old computer, can you check if it can detect the 305?

Also, try cleaning the contacts on the back with a bit of dish liquid and water.  I find the grime sometimes prevents proper connection with the cradle.

I used my old laptop to sync last night. I have cleaned the contacts, but will do so again. I just used some spit and my thumb last time.

Oh!  You need to install the USB driver:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591

I installed the USB driver and it worked. The first time. Then I tried it again and it's giving me this message:

Seaching for GarminNetscapePlugin

found GarminNetscapePlugin

Plugin version: 4.0.4.0

Unlocked plugin

plugin.finishFindDevices() completed

device 0 (Forerunner305 (Unit ID 3611040977)): firmware="290", data type="tcx"

last upload time: 2013-05-14T22:26:29Z

found device: Forerunner305 (Unit ID 3611040977)

device.startReadDir()

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?> <MessageBox xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/PluginAPI/v1" DefaultButtonValue="1"> <Icon>Exclamation</Icon> <Text>There was an error communicating with your device. Please make sure your device is plugged in and turned on. If errors continue to occur, you may need to restart your device.</Text> <Button Caption="OK" Value="1"/> </MessageBox>

device.startReadDir()

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?> <MessageBox xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/PluginAPI/v1" DefaultButtonValue="1"> <Icon>Exclamation</Icon> <Text>There was an error communicating with your device. Please make sure your device is plugged in and turned on. If errors continue to occur, you may need to restart your device.</Text> <Button Caption="OK" Value="1"/> </MessageBox>

device.startReadDir()

device.startReadDir()

device.startReadDir()

It worked this time.

Try using a different USB port.  Garmins are very sensitive to USB noise.  Poor design in my opinion.

I switched back to Firefox and now it works. When I was using chrome I would get a message about Google tag services.

Thanks, hopefully it will work fine now.

Pat

Try using a different USB port.  Garmins are very sensitive to USB noise.  Poor design in my opinion.

I had to do this with my Dell desktop -- wouldn't work if I had the ANT stick in either of the front USB ports.  Switched to one of the four in back = problem solved!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

The data gets to my computer (mac and a pc) but then not being recognized by RA as having a device connected.

Data is sent to Garmin connect.  I can export from there and re-upload to RA.

• Black Canyon 100k
                              • RRR
                              • Zane Grey 100k
                              • High Lonesome 100
                              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                              • The Bear 100
                              • Javelina Jundred (?)

The data gets to my computer (mac and a pc) but then not being recognized by RA as having a device connected.

Data is sent to Garmin connect.  I can export from there and re-upload to RA.

I'm guessing you have a model that uses the Ant Agent?  Which OS are you using?