Importing a Log from Daily Mile (Read 923 times)

TMorin

Eric,

I've got some friends who currently log on DailyMile and they have expressed interest in RunningAhead. They just need to be able to take thier logs with them. DailyMile does an export into a csv table in the formet below. I see a couple of the import tools from other sites are csv format. Is it possible to find out what those formats are so maybe this data can be rearranged in a way that one of those import tools will work?

<colgroup> <col width="75" /> <col width="87" /> <col width="59" /> <col width="42" /></colgroup>
    date activity_type distance(m) time(sec)
    eric :)

I thought I created a Daily Mile importer but I guess not.  If the file is that simple, I can create an importer pretty quickly.  Could you send me a file for testing?

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Any update on the Daily Mile importer? It's a CSV files with five columns: 

date, activity type, distance (in meters), time (in seconds), and felt (ie, good, great, alright, etc.).

I have 250 miles worth of logs on Daily Mile (not originally from Garmin, but simply from my stopwatch and their course mapping tool) that I would like to import into Running Ahead. Eric, if I can find your email address, I'll send you my Daily Mile CSV file.

Thanks.

UPDATE: I saw the DM importer there. I just did the import, and it said that there might be a delay until the data is displayed. Just waiting, now, to see if it works. Thanks.

UPDATE 2.0: It worked. Thanks!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

MikeF70

Hi Eric

I have just joined runningahead, had been using dailymile but they are shutting down and a running friend recommended this as a great site.

Unfortunately the csv files provided by dailymile won't upload here.

The "activities" file has 6 columns: filename, title, date, text, distance_in_meters, duration_in_seconds. Does it require any reformatting to be uploaded? There is also a folder of activities that has a ton of files with the extension ".json" in case that is a better way to upload

The download from dailymile also provided .gpx files for routes but those would not upload - any ideas why?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can offer, and looking forward to using runningahead

Mike

an amazing likeness

RA Training Log -> Tools -> Import Training Data to RunningAhead

There is a DailyMile import option in the selection list for the import function.

Are you using that option?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MikeF70

I did use that tool and selected the "activities" csv file and it gives the following error message:

"This file cannot be imported. Possible reasons are:

• Your data file is not in the correct format.
              • The file is in a new format.
              • There is a bug in the importer code.

If you are certain that the file has no errors, please contact me for assistance"

That made me wonder about the format - the messages from a few years ago talked about 5 column headings which is different from this file

thanks for replying so quickly

an amazing likeness

I did use that tool and selected the "activities" csv file and it gives the following error message:

"This file cannot be imported. Possible reasons are:

• Your data file is not in the correct format.
                • The file is in a new format.
                • There is a bug in the importer code.

If you are certain that the file has no errors, please contact me for assistance"

That made me wonder about the format - the messages from a few years ago talked about 5 column headings which is different from this file

That certainly makes it seem like there's been a change in the DailyMile format and the importer isn't aligned with it.  Recommend you email your DailyMile import file to 'support-at-runningahead dot com' with note that the DailyMile importer can't process the file.

Or, you can re-arrange the CSV file from DailyMile so that the columns match the import custom csv format, you'll be able to get your history loaded with basic workout info.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MikeF70

the custom csv format did the trick - took a little bit of work to adjust the columns but nothing too bad

thanks very much!