Winter Running Tights? (Read 1555 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Any recommendations? Yesterday I tried on a pair of UA Frosty tights and liked them, but they didn't have my size and I wasn't sure they'd stay up on my hips without a draw string--stuff tends to creep down on me unless it's tied snuggly above my hip bones. I also tried on a pair of Mizuno warmer weight tights that were nice, but WAY too snug through the calves. I found these Nikes that look nice and are for a good price at runbargains.com...I think they must be a similar material to a Nike Winter running top that I really like. But I hate ordering things like pants without trying them on, since I have kind of a hard-to-fit lower half (smaller waist relative to hips and butt, short inseam, huge calves/ankles). Nike Women's Thermal Tight Has anyone worn these? How's the fit?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

geekfarm@centurytel.net

I ordered some Sugoi Mid Zero tights on the 28th I can't wait to get them. I have a Sugoi Mid Zero Maverick shirt that I love.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd love to try those sub-zero tights. I think the mid-zeros wouldn't be warm enough for some of my runs. I have 2 pair of sort of midweight pants that I like, but when it's really cold I have to put silkweight long undies under them. I'm thinking tights might be warmer if they are heavy enough. What temps do you recommend the mid-zeros for? k

~ Sarah Kay

I have a pair of Sub 4 that I got from a race expo that I used all of last year during winter. BTW I got a pair of Frosty's. LOVE them EXCEPT they don't have any pockets Confused

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Zoomy - I got a pair of the Sugoi Subzero tights (men's, of course!) for Christmas. I ran in them this morning. It was -12C with a wind chill of -23C and gusty headwinds and I was warm as toast. Recently, Sugoi has been named Canada's Specialty Apparel Vendor of the Year by the Canadian Association of Specialty Running Stores http://sugoi.com/category/76107
            CherryDG

Recently, Sugoi has been named Canada's Specialty Apparel Vendor of the Year by the Canadian Association of Specialty Running Stores
              I just bought a Sugoi's mid-zero top that I LOVE! Now I want to try some of their other gear. I bought a pair of Asics tights (think they're the Thermopolis tights) that I really like. They're warm, stay put, and don't rub me the wrong way. I had also bought a pair of Nike tights but found that the seams along the crotch area aren't comfortable to say the least. Sorry if that's too much info. I'm short (5' with shoes) so I'm a little hesitant to buy pants online as well. I found myself having to tug the Nike tights up every few miles because they'd bunch up around below my knees.
                I've done well with a pair of Champion C9 tights from Target. They were about $12 and as good as others I own. I've gone out in as low as 25 degrees in them and been fine.

-------------------------------------
                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had also bought a pair of Nike tights but found that the seams along the crotch area aren't comfortable to say the least. Sorry if that's too much info. I'm short (5' with shoes) so I'm a little hesitant to buy pants online as well. I found myself having to tug the Nike tights up every few miles because they'd bunch up around below my knees.
                  Ok, that's the sort of thing I was wondering about. I'm really thinking I want to look for a deal on the Sugoi tights, since I have read so much good about them.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've done well with a pair of Champion C9 tights from Target. They were about $12 and as good as others I own. I've gone out in as low as 25 degrees in them and been fine.
                    Heh, lately 25 has been a WARM day around here. Wink Are they a pretty standard weight? I've been very happy with the C9 stuff I've tried in the past--can't beat the quality for the price (their kids' stuff is awesome, too). k

~ Sarah Kay

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I just went out and got a pair of underarmor coldgear, I hope they work okay for me, I tried them on and after 10 mins was getting hot. I test them outside tonight, should be about 20ish (F)
                      -Jen
                      2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                        My favorite tights are made by Zensah. (http://www.zensah.com/9205.html). They do not creep down at all and fit very well. They are warm too. I buy too much stuff; I should be a gear tester. I have tights by CW-X and they do tend to ride down a bit. I also have a pair of tights by Sporthill which are nice but not as comfortable as the Zensah. Smile Update: Just wore the new pair I received recently and they were terrible Surprised. They kept creeping down. I spent 6 miles pulling my tights up. The older pair I bought last year do not do this. So sorry for the plug. I take it back. Happy running Yes
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Update: Just wore the new pair I received recently and they were terrible Surprised. They kept creeping down. I spent 6 miles pulling my tights up. The older pair I bought last year do not do this. So sorry for the plug. I take it back. Happy running Yes
                          That's OK, I found a good deal on a pair of NB tights ($45 down from $65) that sounded perfect and were for a good price through runningshoes.com, so I grabbed them. They have a drawstring waist, a zip pocket on the back, plenty of reflective bits, zip ankles, etc. They looked perfect for my needs. k

~ Sarah Kay

My sweet new crank!

i just got some Craft Storm Shield tights and they are great as a single layer even in -10 windchill. the other ones i have a pearl izumi and they are nice but only in double digit temps, need a base layer below that.
                            Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've heard really good things about the Craft stuff, so in the future I may look for their stuff. I know Backcountry Outlet sometimes has good deals on their outerwear. I got my NB Competitor tights. They fit pretty well...a little long, so they bunch a little at my knees, but I have pretty short legs (I think my inseam is about 29"...they'd probably fit a 32" inseam perfectly). The waist is a bit higher than I like, too, but not uncomfortably so. I'm sure I won't even notice while running. And better a little high than falling down on my hips. I like all of the reflective bits and the lower leg zips. They fit my calves/cankles very snuggly, but not uncomfortably so. I think these will be very nice in cold conditions and as a good baselayer under my midweight pants when it is REALLY cold. Sizing seems pretty accurate. Based upon my hip measurements I went with a size small and that seems perfect. I could lose 10#s and they should still fit well. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...not sure I'm sold on the NB thermal tights, yet. I don't think they're as warm as my midweight pants. Maybe the tights just aren't all that thermal, compared with others. Not sure I care to spend more only to find that they are all the same. The 2 runs I've done in them have had windchills in the high 20s and my legs feel a bit chillier than I'd like. I think they'd feel best around 40ยบ, perhaps. I do LOVE the compression fit, though. The snugness through the calves is especially nice. k

~ Sarah Kay