What happens when you miss several long runs during beginning of marathon training? (Read 102 times)

irunsf85

If I've missed 3 long runs ranging from distances of 10-14 miles in a row and am training for a marathon at the beginning of November, should I consider myself screwed and scrap the idea of running the event and find a different race?  Or is it still early enough in the training cycle that I can redeem myself?  I'm a new runner and have only been at this for about 1.5 years but have completed one marathon so far and at least 5 1/2s.

I'd say no, one thing to consider is, depending on the plan you're using, those early 10-14 milers are geared towards helping people who've never run weekly/biweekly long runs that far before (people not used to 16-20 miles), since you've been through a marathon buildup, your body will readjust to the length of those long runs faster.

In Soviet Russia, Burger eats you!

Yup, no worries, you're good to go for your November Marathon.  Smile

Probably not much, just don't try and hit the longer runs in your schedule for this weekend, but instead back off one or two weeks in your plan, and you'll be fine.

FWIW I am planning a marathon in late November, my longest run in the last 6 months - one 10 miler, missed the planned 12 and 13 mile runs last two weekends.

If I've missed 3 long runs ranging from distances of 10-14 miles in a row and am training for a marathon at the beginning of November, should I consider myself screwed and scrap the idea of running the event and find a different race?  Or is it still early enough in the training cycle that I can redeem myself?  I'm a new runner and have only been at this for about 1.5 years but have completed one marathon so far and at least 5 1/2s.

I don't think it is too late at all.

As an aside, I don't think you need to redeem yourself as you've done nothing that needs redemption. Have fun!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus