Another MCM report from Kimmie- finally a sub 4! (Read 614 times)

Kimmie

Quick background- 1st Marathon was here in 04- ran a 4:12, since then 4 more marathons: 4:03, 4:30. 4:08 and 5:00 last year at Chicago. I figured out that I had a bad case of anemia last year and got that fixed this year. The training went pretty well- weekly mileage in the 30-45 range, but only 2 20 milers. Was this the time that I would finally get under 4? We lined up near the 4 hour pacer- my two friends and I- and the gun goes off, the pacer takes off and is definitely moving through the crowd quickly. This race is so crowded that I realize it might be tough to get a pace going. I'm wondering how the pacer has moved through the crowd so well. Dave has already given you a good description of the course, so I will just give you my splits and what was happening. For me, I met some really neat people while running today. I knew my goal was to stay easy so that I didn't blow up too bad and one way to do that was to talk so that I could relax and pay attention to my breathing... can't talk in mile 8? You're in trouble. Mile 1- 9:14... not bad and I'm not too worried about being with the pacer. Here is where I meet Pablo, first timer. Mile 2- 10:55- don't know why this is so slow- I think the hill or the crowds- or maybe my watch was off. At any rate, I'm staying relaxed. My friends are weaving through the crowd and I told them they were expending too much energy. Just relax... something I kept saying all morning. Mile 3- 8:40- still hanging with Pablo- super nice guy from Columbia. I told myself NO MILES UNDER 9 in the first half, but I can't help it. Plus I am not so good at pacing, that is why I wanted to run with a pacer. She's still up ahead. Mile 4- 8:15 - too fast again Mile 5- 8:50- this where my friends drop back. I met Mark who is running for Team in Training in honor of his sister who recently passed. He is awesome. I tell them that I think I've lost my friends, so now he will be my friend. I am so weird. I also say that I am so excited that we're going to run under 4 today. Smile Mile 6- 8:42 Mile 7- 9:19- we finally catch up to the 4 hour pacer only to pass her after less than 1/2 mile. that was weird but I just couldn't slow down enough. I met Susan and chatted with her briefly but then lost her soon after. Mile 8- 8:32- major hills over- I don't remember much other than chatting with Mark and the others around me. There were Marines who were yelling cadences/ songs. Also, a guy who yelled, "No shame, drain the vein." every time we passed men who were peeing on the side. I laughed and said something about how many times he had said it and he said, " If you're getting tired of it, you should run faster." Mile 9- 8:36- Mark pulls away from me now. I yell encouragement to him. I meet Clay. It is also his 6th marathon. He said he wants to go under 4 but that he always says that and never does. I said, me too! and today's the day. I seemed more positive than him. Mile 10- 8:30- Mile 11- 8:42 Mile 12- 8:51 - i leave Clay at this point. He's struggling. I really like getting Hains Point over with earlier with this new course. Mile 13- 8:44- I think my half split was 1:57... I really was hoping that I hadn't had too many fast miles. i felt good though. I meet Anne and I told her that we were going to go sub 4 today. She said, " How do you know?" I said, " I just know." Mile 14- 8:42 Mile 15- 8:43- I leave Anne and continue to pass people. Mile 16- 8:43- every time I pass someone, I say something to them. Some people seemed appreciative, others seem to think I was weird.. Mile 17- 8:30 Mile 18- 8:49- I feel really good and never feel like I'm struggling. My only issue is I need to use the potty but every one has a line... no way- moving on. Mile 19- 8:47 Mile 20- 8:49- nobody really wants to chat anymore. Smile This starts the dreaded bridge that Dave mentioned... I hate this bridge. But I know that my running club is going to be there. Mile 21- 8:52- I see my friends in the group and ask my friend Matt if he wants to jump in with me. He does! yea! He carries a squirt bottle of gatorade for me. Saved me. It was getting quite warm. Mile 22- 9:16- fading a little bit Mile 23- 8:33- ok, so this where I think that I can "kick it in" Mile 24- 11:00- ok, this is where my body laughed at the attempt to kick it in. Mile 25- 9:23- recovered a little- know that under 4 is in the bag. Mile 26- 9:12- that hill at the end sucks. I saw the 4:00 on the clock and knew that it had taken us 4-5 minutes to cross the start. I was thrilled! I didn't walk and I stay relaxed until the very end. exactly what I wanted. final time: 3:56

Cause I CAN

Holy! Congratulations!
      Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
      http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
        You ran a great race Kim, congrats on hitting your goal with plenty of time to spare!

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congratulations!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Queen of 3rd Place

Nice job Kimmie! Arla

Ex runner

Half Fanatic #846

Congrats - nice pacing!! Did you notice your mile 8 thru 21 splits were all within 22 seconds? GOOD JOB !! Big grin Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Flat footer

Great race report and great job!
                ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

WooHoo Kimmie! Great Job!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
                  My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
                  Ride 112 miles.
                  Run 26.2 miles.
                  Then brag for the rest of your life.
                  -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

AWESOME!! You really worked it. Yes, the crowds were thick at the the start. I felt good for my race and then the nausea kicked in at mile 20-wasn't ready for that.Finished 4:22:01 Feel good today though and happy. Kathy
                    Kimmie

Good job Kathy! I have to say that I NEVER talk in shorter races. But the marathon is a whole different story for me and the talking made the miles fly by and mentally that was such a boost. I kept looking at my watch saying, we're already at mile 17? or whatever... that's never happened to me during a marathon. Usually I am very aware of how many miles have passed. Some might say that I could have run harder if I hadn't been so chatty- but I'm just not sure about that. I'm so glad you had a good day.

Dave

Great job, Kimmie! Looks like you paced it really well and I think the chattiness in the middle was probably a good move. On Haines Point, I started acting as a tour guide, "On your right is the National War College. Up ahead you can see the Titanic Memorial..." I think it kept our minds off the running for at least a little bit. I laughed out loud on your body's response at mile 24. Mine sort of said the same thing but used more swear words Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

wanderingoutlaw

Great running, Kimmie. Congrats on the sub-4 and PR!

John

great report -- congrats!

2012= under-goaled

I get chatty too Big grin I like to find out about the other runners, if it's their first,where from and so on. Haines pt flew by for me-thank goodness they put it earlier in the race. Does anyone else have a ton of energy today? My legs are itching to move, but not the muscles. Maybe, I'll clean the house. Kathy
                              xor

I get chatty too Big grin I like to find out about the other runners, if it's their first,where from and so on. Haines pt flew by for me-thank goodness they put it earlier in the race. Does anyone else have a ton of energy today? My legs are itching to move, but not the muscles. Maybe, I'll clean the house. Kathy
                                I have a lot of energy! But then I didn't run Marine Corps. (I did run a different marathon, though, so I'm only being half a smartass and not a complete one) Kimmie - WOOHOO on beating 4, and in a crowded race too! You certainly remembered a lot of detail about your miles; that's pretty cool. What's next?