So what would your evaluation of this running technique be? (Read 1412 times)

#artbydmcbride

Slow jumping from one foot to another?  Maybe an ancient version  of hopscotch.  Big grin   The chalk marks have long worn away of course.

Runners run

Lane

Even upon closer inspection, I don't see any midfoot or forefoot landing...

http://www.clinicalgaitanalysis.com/art/mungo.jpg

An interesting factoid about these footprints: they were found near stone tablets.  On the tablets were an archaic cuneiform description of what is believed to be a running technique utilizing something called "dynamic stability".  There is some debate on the translation due to multiple references to ostriches.

Given they were extrapolated to be running as fast as Usain Bolt, I think it speaks volumes to how little we know about running....

Who extrapolated this, and where can I read about it?

What happens after the fourth step?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Kalsarikännit

The runner was definitely doing one of these two things.  Maybe both.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

<http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200512/23/images/1222_B76.jpg>

Sport Jester:

This is quite fascinating IF it's really 35000 years old.  However, being a Doubting Thomas as I am (;o)), if these are indeed natural footprints, wonder why there's no "drag"...  Assuming these are all implanted in the mud as this "person" walked naturally, USUALLY there is a flow of pressure point as the person's Center of Gravity moves through, finishing with a "kick" or a "push" and, as the foot "pushes off" the ground, usually instead of the foot being removed directly to the top, since the foot is moving FORWARD toward the direction of the person's heading, there's USUALLY a drag at the tip of the toes...  So if this is really the way biped creature (assuming it's a human) walked 35000 years ago, we might be looking at totally different technique of moving forward.

Also, it always fascinated me that, since the introduction of synthetic track surface, the technique of sprinting had moved from "single" line foot print to "double-line" foot print.  I've never attended but apparently Graham (what was his first name...; the coach of Justin Gatlin, the guy who got busted of drug use on his athletes) was talking about that at his clinic.  If you watch slow motion film of Carl Lewis from the front in Bud Greenspan's "Olympiad" (LA Olympics), you can see he's placing his feet on the double-lines.  I personally think for distance running, it's better to do "single-line" foot falls but there had been a lot of talk about this "double-line" for sprinting.  I don't know which one is better; but, as I said, for distance running, I believe single-line is more natural.  

From the NatGeo article: "Others also wandered across the muddy landscape, including a family of five, a small child, and a one-legged man who hopped without a crutch."

There are 23 sets of tracks. Not sure that the one you grabbed a pic of is "the sprinter". Could just as well be the one legged dude hopping.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/08/060803-footprint.html

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
              sport jester

Biomimeticist

hey Nobby,

Appreciate the comments. And yes, you're looking at a completely different running technique. I've been spending some of my time

in exchange with Peter McAllister, a Paleoanthropologist, and author of Manthology. He sent me the links to the fossil records and

this formal publishing of the speed extrapolation.

http://playthink.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/sdarticle-1.pdf

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

BeeRunB

hardcore unshod, no vibrams

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

hey Nobby,

Appreciate the comments. And yes, you're looking at a completely different running technique. I've been spending some of my time

in exchange with Peter McAllister, a Paleoanthropologist, and author of Manthology. He sent me the links to the fossil records and

this formal publishing of the speed extrapolation.

http://playthink.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/sdarticle-1.pdf

Whoa, some of the subjects were running at a 250-300 steps/min. cadence?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

This is one of the foot records documenting their acceleration. You can see a very light heel strike, however it also shows how much of the weight was under the big and index toe only.

http://michaelamendolia.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Australian-Fossil-Footprints/G0000wGbVgKl8Gkg/I0000t2rS0LdxBmk

Which is why I teach inline running, and inline sprinting.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Whoa, some of the subjects were running at a 250-300 steps/min. cadence?

Pretty amazing.....

You have to take into account of their physical size being much smaller than we are.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Pretty amazing.....

You have to take into account of their physical size being much smaller than we are.

The one guy was 5' 10", weighed ~132 pounds.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

My mistake to their size.

The point I wanted to make with this is that multiple running technqiues exist based on the needs of the runner.

Inline running isn't something we do naturally, so my exchange was to put forth the idea that their speed estimates were short of their true peak speed potential.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

One wonders if those people were literally running for their lives.  Fleeing, chasing prey, playing a game, staging a race?