Does anyone have practical experience recovering from "Dreaded Black Line" fractures? (Read 170 times)

kedward777

I was just diagnosed with the "dreaded black line" (DBL) in the mid-anterior tibia. My Ortho couldn't really give me a good idea what I could expect as far as healing. He said he seldom saw the DBL type fractures. He just said from the literature he read, that he didn't think it was a good outlook, and I should google (?). He kept mentioning surgery and nails (yikes)

I stopped running, and pain went away in 2 weeks. After 5 weeks I can fast walk with zero pain, and press hard on the tibia bump without any pain. I just started doing a bone stim unit at  week 5. The tibia bump has shrunk greatly to less than half the size of a dime.

Has anyone seen cases where a DBL fracture actually healed and the person was able to run again?

The fact that I have zero pain when fast walking, and no pain even when pressing as hard as I can on the bump (fracture area), does that indicate that healing is taking place? Again, I am looking for practical experience dealing with this...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I would seek a second opinion. Any doctor or ortho who suggests googling an injury is an idiot.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

jwhite

I agree that a second opinion may be warranted, but the "dreaded black line" is just a term describing a stress fracture. It isn't a type of sfx. Everyone that I know has recovered from a sfx. Follow Dr's orders and you will be fine in due time.

kilkee

runktrun

Definitely get a second opinion.  See if you can get a copy of your original imaging to take to another doctor, too, so you have a baseline.  The "black line" could simply be a slight delineation of the fracture, or a more severe tension fracture.  It's the fractures that are caused by tension that are at risk for non-union because load-bearing pulls the fracture apart.  Scroll down this page and click the photo icon by "dreaded black line"  http://www.orthobullets.com/sports/3112/tibial-shaft-stress-fractures

Walking without pain is generally a good thing, but just to be safe, I think you should get a better read of the fracture situation.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

catwhoorg

Labrat

I would seek a second opinion. Any doctor or ortho who suggests googling an injury is an idiot.

This. So much this.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Yeah.  Go see someone else.  You'd do well to find someone with a sports medicine background on top of being a board certified orthopedist.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

kedward777

Yeah, actually this guy was Board Certified, and a sports team Doc. Although, I think he was just recently board certified...

Just for the sake edification, here is some background:

I am using the downtime (swimming, cycling) to think about the cause. I see some possible causes.  1) I do a lot of cycling on mountains which really developed by calves dis-proportionately,  2) I was running on a country road that had an aggressive slant to both sides causing uneven hips and foot strike (Although I did try to run in the middle). 3) I did ramp up mileage too fast  training for a marathon. 4)  I banged my shin hard in my garage -and then noticed a lump not to long afterwards on my shin (coincidence or not).

A year ago, I started to have an ache on the outside lower left leg that would disappear after the first mile, but gradually over the year I would feel a twang the day after a run just walking -kinda came and went, but I ignored it (bad). Then, after a year I saw the bump and the pain became increasingly worse and the bump tender to the touch. So I am not totally  sure if I had the signs of a stress fracture, and my stupidity ignoring the warning signs, caused it to develop into the DBL fracture, or if the bang on the shin contributed in some way.

SMART Approach

Yeah, actually this guy was Board Certified, and a sports team Doc. Although, I think he was just recently board certified...

Just for the sake edification, here is some background:

I am using the downtime (swimming, cycling) to think about the cause. I see some possible causes.  1) I do a lot of cycling on mountains which really developed by calves dis-proportionately,  2) I was running on a country road that had an aggressive slant to both sides causing uneven hips and foot strike (Although I did try to run in the middle). 3) I did ramp up mileage too fast  training for a marathon. 4)  I banged my shin hard in my garage -and then noticed a lump not to long afterwards on my shin (coincidence or not).

A year ago, I started to have an ache on the outside lower left leg that would disappear after the first mile, but gradually over the year I would feel a twang the day after a run just walking -kinda came and went, but I ignored it (bad). Then, after a year I saw the bump and the pain became increasingly worse and the bump tender to the touch. So I am not totally  sure if I had the signs of a stress fracture, and my stupidity ignoring the warning signs, caused it to develop into the DBL fracture, or if the bang on the shin contributed in some way.

I have probably seen 5 anterior tibial stress fractures the last 12 years. Medial is more common. Ortho docs do not treat this fracture often. They may go through their whole residency and not see one however, they know about it. I am sure you saw the lateral view x-ray where you see like a notch out of the tibia i.e. DBL.  It is kind of ugly but it can heal. As far as the cause, more than likely it was overtraining for a marathon but the other things may have factored in. It would take a lot to break that bone. A hard bump will cause a small hematoma or bump. The periosteum gets irritated and bleeding occurs especially in an area where there is minimal soft tissue to absorb the blow.  A severe bone bruise though can cause mico-fractures and in theory temporarily weaken the bone a tad. If you were to pound through wor outs or running or impact on a bad bone bruise, it is possible to progress to stress fracture.

Either way, you know what you have and know what to do. Take it easy!!!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

kedward777

Just fyi, my Dreaded Black Line (DBL) stress fracture of the tibia did heal, albeit with a nice bump, after 6 months.The ortho said he was surprised it healed,  he really thought surgery was going to be needed. I am well aware however that the rate of re-occurrence of a stress fracture is a real risk if I am not careful. I did use the bone simulator diligently for 5 months, but I am not sure it was significant, and insurance wound up rejecting coverage and sticking me with a $1800 bill ! Still, I was very concerned about reading about DBL fractures not healing, so I was needing anything that would get me running again, hence went the bone simulator route ...

I totally did no running for 6 months (just bike, swim). After 6 months I did one or two 3 mile runs per week on a treadmill for 4 weeks. I noticed odd sensations during run around my tibia, and just did not feel I had my normal stride back, but so long as a I kept the pace above a 8:45 minute mile I was ok. If I went below a 8:45 minute pace, I sensed slight pain, so I backed off immediately. At the 7 month mark, I introduced my first weekly pavement run of 3 or 4 miles with no significant downhills, still felt a bit odd around my tibia, and my stride was not fluid, and still  found I needed to keep the pace above 8:45 or slight pain developed. At the 8 month mark, my stride returned during my weekly run, the odd tibia sensations no longer occurred, and my pace was able to drop to 8:30ish over 5 miles (pre injury pace was 7:30 over 13 miles). During all this, I only ran once per week, with an occasional 2nd run after some recovery days.

I am still taking it very cautiously. I have read more than a few people have a recurrence of the stress fracture. I used to run hills a lot, now I avoid significant downhills. I keep my pace slower, but am gradually increasing the pace each month by just 5 percent. Being without running was a major downer in my life, and would rather have some slower running, than no running at all. I hope to get back to race pace,  but will train much more smarter....

SMART Approach

Great news! You are fortunate it healed. The 5 I have seen treated with ultrasound bone stimulator and extra Vitamin D all healed with hyper callous formation (bump). Each of docs I worked were also surprised it healed. You are wise with your approach coming back. Good luck!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

kedward777

The lesson to be learned with bone stimulators is to find out the rules for getting approval from the insurance company BEORE ordering. The reason I had problems with an $1800 bill was that my insurance company wanted documented evidence that we had waited a few months to see if the fracture site would show signs of the DBL gap closing before they would approve a bone stimulator. Looking back, even during the first months while I waited on the bone stimulator to arrive, I could tell the fracture sites was healing. I suspect if we had taken another xray a month or 2 after I stopped running, we would have seen the fracture closing. AND overall even having used the bone stimulator,  it took a solid 8 months to heal fully anyways.