Tapering Suggestions (Read 610 times)

The Greatest of All Time

I wanted to get some input on laying out and tapering for a couple of races. Here are the race dates and distances: April 5 HM April 19 10k May 18 M I do long runs on Saturdays and here was what I am thinking (longest run so far is 20 miles) March 22—22 miles March 29—15 miles April 5—13.1 miles (Race) April 12—22 miles April 19—6.2 miles (Race) April 26—24 miles May 3—24 miles May 10—12 miles May 18—26.2 miles (Race) Right now my goals are <1:30 for="" the="" 1/2="" and=""></1:30><3:00 for the full. my fitness is already in place or damn near close enough to do that, but i need to get my legs used to running near 3 hours because the longest i have ran time-wise is just short of 2.5 hours (20 miles). the 10k is not that important, it's just a speed workout but it's in wrigleyville and that's a cool area of the city to run in. weekly mileage will be somewhere between 65 and 75. long run pace is about 7:15 or so. thanks! for="" the="" full.="" my="" fitness="" is="" already="" in="" place="" or="" damn="" near="" close="" enough="" to="" do="" that,="" but="" i="" need="" to="" get="" my="" legs="" used="" to="" running="" near="" 3="" hours="" because="" the="" longest="" i="" have="" ran="" time-wise="" is="" just="" short="" of="" 2.5="" hours="" (20="" miles).="" the="" 10k="" is="" not="" that="" important,="" it's="" just="" a="" speed="" workout="" but="" it's="" in="" wrigleyville="" and="" that's="" a="" cool="" area="" of="" the="" city="" to="" run="" in.="" weekly="" mileage="" will="" be="" somewhere="" between="" 65="" and="" 75.="" long="" run="" pace="" is="" about="" 7:15="" or="" so.=""></3:00 for the full. my fitness is already in place or damn near close enough to do that, but i need to get my legs used to running near 3 hours because the longest i have ran time-wise is just short of 2.5 hours (20 miles). the 10k is not that important, it's just a speed workout but it's in wrigleyville and that's a cool area of the city to run in. weekly mileage will be somewhere between 65 and 75. long run pace is about 7:15 or so. thanks!>
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

The Greatest of All Time

Bump Confused Just added a 5K on April 12.

SMART Approach

You need a coach to really have a plan in place to monitor and see what works for you, but I will tell you that you probably do not need to decrease miles a lot (unless run down) for the 10K and 1/2 marathon until last few days (if half is a goal race, do last very long run 9-12 days before). Also, race week limit the intensity and do a modified quality work out about 4-5 days before race. People over taper for shorter races and actually can lose their ability to run their "best race". For full marathon you need to access how you feel. You probably do not need a 3 week taper. Certainly, you need to back off a bit, but I believe many runners taper too much especially those with lower miles.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

mikeymike

Yeah I'd do no taper for the HM or 10K, just take 2-3 easy days before, and skip the 5K (personally). If you do run the 5K, then no taper. And I agree with Tchuck that a 3 week taper is probably excessive for most people who are not running very high mileage. My marathon is April 21st and I didn't taper for the two races I've run in March and will not taper for the one I'm planning at the end of the month either. For the marathon itself, I'll taper a bit, but not too much. Off of 70mpw, my last three weeks before the race will be something like 70, 65, then 45-50.

Runners run

The Greatest of All Time

You probably do not need a 3 week taper. Certainly, you need to back off a bit, but I believe many runners taper too much especially those with lower miles.
            Are you suggesting the run I planned for May 10 is too short? In the past I have always ran about 12-13 miles one week out before a full M.

SMART Approach

No, May 10 run is just fine. Just keep it at your comfortable pace. Also, nothing wrong with just doing just 20 on May 3 as part of the taper. 24 miles 2 weeks before is pretty aggressive if miles aren't above 70-80 per week.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

The Greatest of All Time

No, May 10 run is just fine. Just keep it at your comfortable pace. Also, nothing wrong with just doing just 20 on May 3 as part of the taper. 24 miles 2 weeks before is pretty aggressive if miles aren't above 70-80 per week.
                Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.