Asics Gel Hyper-Speed : Rave and Rant (Read 4485 times)

Okay, the good points first, I seriously like this shoe. It is considerably lighter than my previous racing flats (Asics Gel Magic Racer). It has, I think, slightly more cushioning and the sole does not have the hard plastic midsole part the Magic Racers have (like on a pair of track spikes) that is seriously slippy if you catch it on a kerb or step. I have worn them once to try them out on the track and then once for a half marathon where I got a 3-minute pr. Also, they have sparkly laces. SPARKLY !! What's not to like? Check out the sole. Those 6 indentation in the forefoot go right through the sole and are just covered by the insole. The first time I wore them I passed through a parking lot on my way back from the track and got a piece of gravel caught in there. Once caught in gravel is pressed into the sole and is there to stay unless you manage to scuff it loose almost immediately. Each flex of the foot as it comes down allows it to get pressed in further. The half marathon I ran in them was on roads and the hard shoulder/bike paths. These were gritty. I scuffed out two pieces of gravel but the third was there to stay. When I finished I had to actually find a screwdriver to wedge it out it was so tightly forced in. It was working its way through the insole but fortunately had not started working through my foot. I'll be wearing them again but I'll think twice about wearing them on any course that is likely to have any gravel or grit.
    Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

Runner

I've got em. They also let moisture in through those same holes if it is the least bit damp. They are what they are. I run in them short. I need more cushioning for more than 6 miles.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

I love them. Have run a half marathon (in a monsoon) and a marathon in them and lots of training runs including a long trail run with lots of gravel. Yeah, they do pick up stuff but I'll take 'em overall. Great shoe.

Runners run

Any idea how many miles you can get out of that shoe (compared to your other shoes)?

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

That's where a site like this is so great. Who thinks about having gravel stuck in the sole of your shoe? I've got the NB 903's, not exactly a racing flat, but I'm loving them so far too!
              Any idea how many miles you can get out of that shoe (compared to your other shoes)?
              I'll let you know but by the looks of them and after just under a hundred miles I'd say as many or more than average. I usually get 500-600. In my experience, the simpler the shoe, the more miles I can get and these are very simple.

Runners run

Do they make a low arch racing flat? Maybe low arch isn't the right word - try no arch....
                  Most racing flats have little to no arch support.

Runners run