What do you do for tendonitis (Read 644 times)

I have what I think is tendonitis. It's definitely not runner's knee or ITBS - I'm somewhat familiar with those. The pain is in that tendon behind my left knee on the left side (outside left). I noticed it last Saturday and have been taking anti-inflammatories and putting it on ice whenever I get a chance. But I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. Should I stop running for a few days? Skip the next long run? Stretch? Not ice it? This is supposed to be my "easy" week after a HM last Thursday. I have a 10 mile long run coming up Sunday and am supposed to be back on schedule to run a HM on December 30.

I had tendonitis in my right knee and a stress fracture in my left leg when I was a junior in college. 2+ years of 100 mile weeks caught up to me. It was painful to walk, so I basically took 2 months off from running. I worked out 2 to 3 times per day in the weight room, in the pool, or on the bike. My pool workouts were a combination of swimming and aqua jogging. I came out of it pretty strong, but aerobically I wasn't quite all there. About 5 or 6 weeks after coming back I ran my first marathon, and then took 4 months off straight (just roller blading and biking). I've done my best not to get another stress fracture or tendonitis.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

va

urbansix, I have been having similar symptons, it might be popliteus tendinitis. Here is an article on tendinitis, and they talk about this particular type of knee tendinitis, and what you should do about it...