Running the opposite way on a track (Read 1221 times)

Why do people do this? Is it to avoid injuring their feet or something? There's this one guy at the track who switches direction every 2 laps or so. Its kind of annoying to me that I always have to pass him using the outside lane, but not a big deal at all. But last night, the track was more packed than usual (I counted 22 people walking, running or milling around when I left) and one lady who was running (pretty fast too) in the opposite direction from everyone else. Now, if there's only a few people on the track, it doesn't really affect anyone to do this... but with a track pakced with people, this just seems a bit inconsiderate to me. Any thoughts? Also, what about people who show up with their dog and 5 friends to walk around the track and take up 4 of the lanes? Is this necessary? Especially when there is a 7000 acre reservation two minutes down the road with tons of paths, trails, etc. that makes for excellent walking routes.

Run the race God set B4U

When I started doing the "women can run clinic" (which is the same as the C25K) they tell us to switch directions because when we corner we tend to lean a certain way, It has to do with your hips, I think. I try to avoid our local track as much as possible because it is open to the public and usually there are kids out there playing and it's just very annoying when you want to use it to run.
      5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
      JakeKnight

Any thoughts?
        I think its common sense that if you aren't running in the same direction as everyone else, you better at least be in the outside lanes. And you better be yielding when necessary. To be this rude, I'm guessing he's a cyclist that recently took up running.
        Also, what about people who show up with their dog and 5 friends to walk around the track and take up 4 of the lanes? Is this necessary? Especially when there is a 7000 acre reservation two minutes down the road with tons of paths, trails, etc. that makes for excellent walking routes.
        Death is too good for them.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Unless the track has explicit directions saying which way to go, I see no problem w/ running opposite. I've done it to break the monotony and because I feel as though I'm getting wound up. I yield to the majority though - give them at least a lane and make sure I am the one to move, not them. As for the dog walkin lane hoggers, I'd pass them as close as possible, then cut in like a half step ahead. Let them feel your sweat fly. I can't even believe dogs are allowed on the track. Unless it's a guide dog. Effin dogs. That's inconsiderate.
            Why do people do this? Is it to avoid injuring their feet or something?
            Maybe they're bipolar
            Now, if there's only a few people on the track, it doesn't really affect anyone to do this... but with a track pakced with people, this just seems a bit inconsiderate to me. Any thoughts?
            They are products of our public school system.
            Also, what about people who show up with their dog and 5 friends to walk around the track and take up 4 of the lanes? Is this necessary? Especially when there is a 7000 acre reservation two minutes down the road with tons of paths, trails, etc. that makes for excellent walking routes.
            But there'd be no one to irritate and let know they own the road, because life is all about them.
            My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm like Zoolander when it comes to a track -- I can only turn left. Running clockwise on a track just feel wrong to me. I think it may have something to do with the coriolis effect -- I can only go counter-clockwise, at least in the northern hemisphere. I wonder if it would be easier for me to go the other way in Australia...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I have at times also switched directions. Sometimes my knees would get sore making the same ole turns all the time, so i could easily see why others might do it for hips, ankles etc. However, I would never do it if the track was crowed, that's just rude. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Why do people do this? Is it to avoid injuring their feet or something?
                  I used to use an 8 lane rubber track (English), but for some reason it's rarely open now and I do not feel like climbing a fence. When I did use the track, I would usually go counter-clockwise (turning left). The longest run I have done on a quarter mile track was 12 miles and it was all counter clockwise. I have gone the opposite way but it was when there were few people out. I used direction and lane position to help me keep track of the number of laps I had run.
                  Also, what about people who show up with their dog and 5 friends to walk around the track and take up 4 of the lanes? Is this necessary?
                  I don't get this either. Issue I have is there are multiple groups of these people just lolligaggin' around the track sometimes.
                  Now, if there's only a few people on the track, it doesn't really affect anyone to do this... but with a track pakced with people, this just seems a bit inconsiderate to me. Any thoughts?
                  I'd agree with you. When packed.... stick with the direction of the herd flow... Fast people on the inside and slow folks on the outside.

Vim

Why do people do this? Is it to avoid injuring their feet or something? There's this one guy at the track who switches direction every 2 laps or so. Its kind of annoying to me that I always have to pass him using the outside lane, but not a big deal at all. But last night, the track was more packed than usual (I counted 22 people walking, running or milling around when I left) and one lady who was running (pretty fast too) in the opposite direction from everyone else. Now, if there's only a few people on the track, it doesn't really affect anyone to do this... but with a track pakced with people, this just seems a bit inconsiderate to me. Any thoughts? Also, what about people who show up with their dog and 5 friends to walk around the track and take up 4 of the lanes? Is this necessary? Especially when there is a 7000 acre reservation two minutes down the road with tons of paths, trails, etc. that makes for excellent walking routes.
                    Basically, on an outdoor track, there really is no reason not to always run anti-clockwise. If your knees hurt then move to an outer lane where it is a more gradual turn. On an indoor track, which has much tighter turns, you can get some pains by always going the same way. I wrote some guidelines about how to determine which way to go this past Spring: http://news.runtowin.com/2008/04/11/which-direction-should-i-go-on-an-indoor-track.html I suppose that they could be applied outside as well. Basically: 1. Follow local rules - if it's posted, do what the sign says. 2. If nobody is on the track, do whatever you want (at least in terms of direction to run in.) 3. Know which lanes have runners and which have walkers (and what direction they are going in) 4. At low mileage or low speed, there's nothing to worry about, so by default just go anti-clockwise.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

JimR

I so some of my track work clockwise instead of counter, just to balance the sides out. I'll only do the inside lane though if I'm not interfering with anyone.
                        Wow, some great responses guys. Even though it was a slight inconvenience for me at the track I run at last night, there was something pretty cool about having that many people out there on the track at once
                        jpnairn

straw man

Unless the track has explicit directions saying which way to go, I see no problem w/ running opposite.
                          Explicit directions do not need to be posted. You drive on the right side of the street (in the US) whether there's a sign saying so or not. It's the same with the direction on the track. I think we all pretty much agree. You go counter-clockwise. If you want, you can go clockwise, but only if you're not inconveniencing people running counter-clockwise. And there's never a good reason to walk a dog on the track, unless it's a dog track.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Supa Dupa Fly

Isn't it counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere, and clockwise in the southern? Has something to do with the spinning of the Earth. Tongue
                            ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
                              I've run as far as 22 miles on an outdoor track without changing directions and never had a problem (other than extreme boredom). The guy is simply misinformed. Tom
                              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The same reason people drive their cars 5 minutes down the road to the gym. Exercise is only something that can be done in special exercise places. It's not part of normal life.
                                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.