What running rituals do you have (or should that read obsessive compulsive traits) (Read 1594 times)

higa

After my long run (usually a Sunday) I end up finishing at the beach, getting a choc mud scone, a takeaway coffee and sit on the beahc reading the paper (I am lucky i live in a temperate climate). I am beginning to find a get a bit agitated if i can't work this ritual into my run! Yesterday i got to thinking I wonder if other runners have their little 'rituals' or is it just me? I also find I always put the left shoe on first, my 5k turn around I always go round the tree anti clockwise, never clockwise. I guess we are all obssesive to a certain degree but what quirky things do you find yourself doing?
    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

The night before a race I watch the coyote/roadrunner episode in which the coyote downs an entire bottle of Extra Strength Acme Leg Vitamins.
        The night before a race I watch the coyote/roadrunner episode in which the coyote downs an entire bottle of Extra Strength Acme Leg Vitamins.
        And I thought I was the only one who did this Shocked
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          I religiously record my daily mileage. Doesn't sound like much--but closing in on 32 yrs of running (4/22/08) and 65, 927 miles I have a drawer full of calenders dating back to 1978. Even worse since the advent of HR monitors some yrs ago--I add HR. Then GPS--YEOW-- I download info--the sickness continues. Nick. Ps I also keep up with the mileage on my running shoes and number of races (420). I work counseling alcoholics/addicts. I tell them I am an active runaholic. I hide my running socks around the house and sneak out and get an extra run in. Nick
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

And I thought I was the only one who did this Shocked
            Seriously!? That scene when he rams into that steel wall gives new meaning to "hitting the wall"" Classic.
              I have too many to mention. But then again, I am a closet OCD freak. What I mean is that I am terrible about things like this, but I do a very good job of hiding it from the world so no one really notices just how ritualized I am about things. Wow, see... there is a merit to anonymous internet message boards. I can confess just how loopy I really am. Anyway, here are just a few. Feel free to laugh. I have to brush my teeth before every run. On every run I carry two things, a pack of gum in one pocket and a stopwatch in the other. During odd numbered months the stopwatch is in the left pocket and the gum in the right. During even numbered months the stopwatch in is the right pocket and the gum in the left. Why? Two reasons. One, I reach for the stopwatch more often than the gum and it would seem wrong to give one hand more to do over the course of a year than the other. But that's not the big reason. The big reason is that I am afraid of falling into a routine if I always keep them in the same pocket. Oh, the irony. I put my shoes on and take them off using the same system as above. During odd numbered months the left shoe goes on / comes off first, and during even numbered months it's the right shoe. Clearly, I need help. During a run I am constantly calculating pace and distance. I really don't care at all what my pace is on most of my runs, but it relaxes my mind. I choose my running gear based entirely on the temperature. This actually causes annoyance at times. For instance, if it's 5C or below I wear a base layer and a Hot Chilly heavy running shirt. If it's 6C to 10C I wear a base layer and a much lighter Nike long sleeved running shirt. The problem is that 5C and sunny up here is actually much warmer from a run standpoint than 6C, with wind and rain. Just last week I went through this, running in the Hot Chilly on a sunny 5C day and being a bit over dressed. My next run was 6C with wind and rain and I was uncomfortably cold in just my light Nike shirt. I could go on, but I think you get the idea. The beauty(?) of all of this is that as I said before it's all hidden from the world. There is no way that anyone would ever notice these things, yet they are embarrassingly important to me.
              And who am I anyway?
              Just another fat jogger, evidently.
                I have to brush my teeth before every run.
                Quite considerate of you. Always good to have fresh breath especially when running in a group. Ha. I can't think of any rituals that I have. Confused I guess if I had rituals I would procrastinate too long about going out the door.
                Krisruns

I obsessively tie and retie my shoes, debating whether double knots are necessary and whether my left shoe is too tight. It's almost a twitch for me, like how Nomar Garciaparra gets ready to bat.
                  kcam

I obsessively tie and retie my shoes, debating whether double knots are necessary and whether my left shoe is too tight. It's almost a twitch for me, like how Nomar Garciaparra gets ready to bat.
                    I can totally relate to this. I don't do the shoe thing or have any pre or post run rituals but, during a run, if say I scratch my right knee then I MUST scratch the same spot on my left knee or I don't feel 'right'. Touch my left elbow, I MUST touch my right elbow. Weirdo.
                      I can totally relate to this. I don't do the shoe thing or have any pre or post run rituals but, during a run, if say I scratch my right knee then I MUST scratch the same spot on my left knee or I don't feel 'right'. Touch my left elbow, I MUST touch my right elbow. Weirdo.
                      Yeah it is a little wierd. I do it too though. Not as much as before. If I look behind me to my right running on the treadmill...I must look back to my left to balance out the right look....then of course I must look left then right to balance out the entire set. I saw a program on 20/20 a few years back that showed people extremely compulsive in this way. If they touch a desk with their right hand they must touch with left hand to balance things out. Thats you and me and a lot of people but just know there are people much worse than us.
                      JakeKnight

One word: coffee. I must have coffee before I run. How much doesn't matter. Sometimes just a few sips. Coffee and running are forever linked in my head. My first marathon of this running lifetime we got up way, way too early ... and there was a Starbucks in the hotel lobby. First time (I think) I ever ordered a coffee anywhere. I never even drank it before 3 years ago. Ever since, I've developed a superstition that coffee has magical properties. Which, of course, it does, in a couple areas that actually are important to runners. But I'm convinced it lubricates the joints, strengthens the muscles, boosts glycogen stores, and improves aerodynamics. It's my magic juice. It must come before a run.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

My legs are killing me

One word: coffee. I must have coffee before I run. How much doesn't matter. Sometimes just a few sips. Coffee and running are forever linked in my head. My first marathon of this running lifetime we got up way, way too early ... and there was a Starbucks in the hotel lobby. First time (I think) I ever ordered a coffee anywhere. I never even drank it before 3 years ago. Ever since, I've developed a superstition that coffee has magical properties. Which, of course, it does, in a couple areas that actually are important to runners. But I'm convinced it lubricates the joints, strengthens the muscles, boosts glycogen stores, and improves aerodynamics. It's my magic juice. It must come before a run.
                          I read somewhere last week that a 1/2 cup of coffee would help your runs. So on Sunday before my 1/2 marathon I drank a 1/2 cup of coffee and pee'd 4 times before the race and once the race started felt like I had to pee for the first 5 miles. Not a good feeling. The 'magic juice" cast an evil spell on me.
                            I read somewhere last week that a 1/2 cup of coffee would help your runs. So on Sunday before my 1/2 marathon I drank a 1/2 cup of coffee and pee'd 4 times before the race and once the race started felt like I had to pee for the first 5 miles. Not a good feeling. The 'magic juice" cast an evil spell on me.
                            LOL...You can also take Vivrain which is coffee in a pill. It gives you the same boost as coffee without the need to pee.
                              LOL...You can also take Vivrain which is coffee in a pill. It gives you the same boost as coffee without the need to pee.
                              Yeah, you could say the same about grain alcohol as a replacement for beer/wine. Coffee as a ritual is about more than the caffeine kick. For me at least. Your point is taken though, but pills seem dirty.
                              JakeKnight

The 'magic juice" cast an evil spell on me.
                                No doubt - and peeing is the least of the potential problems. You must beware the strength of the magic juice. You must respect its power, find the proper balance between the potency of the magic and the inherent dangers. I'm one of those lucky types that can drink 3 cups of coffee and go run 20 miles without a problem. Usually. But if you looked back through my last several long runs, there's one back there where, uh, I didn't find that proper magical balance. I disrespected the great Coffee Spirit and the results were not pleasant. But if you can tame the power and make the proper sacrifices to the Coffee God, he may reward you.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------