The secret to running fast (Read 2999 times)

Is speed more the product of running form, or conditioning?

Are we there yet?

Run miles and miles and then some more miles.. you will naturally get faster.

Start with a goal of consistently hitting 100 miles per month for 3 months. then 125, then 150, then 175, and in a years time you will be running 200 miles per month

btw, way to go on the weight loss!!  I like the chart, that is fantastic!

Why is it sideways?

And too there were questions: What did he eat? Did he believe in isometrics? Isotonics? Ice and heat? How about aerobics, est, ESP, STP? What did he have to say about yoga, yogurt, Yogi Berra? What was his pulse rate, his blood pressure, his time for 100-yard dash? What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that?

You figure that out here and write a book--you'll become a millionear.  There's no secret.  I think it was Frank Shorter who said, in summary, that "You don't run 2:10 marathon on secret formula and good looks."

Speed is the product of hard work and intelligent approach.

she runs like a girl

darn, I was hoping to find the secret in here.

Oh well, back to running I go

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

darn, I was hoping to find the secret in here.

Me too Kimmie....I was kind of hoping there was a majic elixir or some pill I could take and all of a sudden just be really fast......

Guess, I'll just have to focus on putting in some more miles.........see what happens....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Feeling the growl again

Speed is not speed.  If you look for speed by working on speed you will not find speed.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I had no idea that it was way too esoteric to even speculate on the relationship  between form and conditioning in regards to fast running.   I guess answers with a strong metaphysical bend is all I should expect?

#artbydmcbride

Conditioning

Some very fast runners have terrible form....

Runners run

MoBramExam

Good form can help you to run faster than you otherwise might.

Conditioning will keep you from slowing down as much as you otherwise might.

Conditioning

Some very fast runners have terrible form....

Is it possible that some very fast runners have such great form that they make up for some slight inadequacy when it comes to aerobic abilities?

#artbydmcbride

Only a very slight inadequacy.

Runners run

Are we there yet?

Is it possible that some very fast runners have such great form that they make up for some slight inadequacy when it comes to aerobic abilities?

I doubt great form will make up for poor aerobic abilities.  

Why is it sideways?

The factors are hard to separate because good form comes with good conditioning, as the well conditioned runner is able to maintain efficient form for a long period of time. Fortunately, although they are difficult to separate analytically, in practice the two go together. You work on both form and conditioning by running a lot, at different paces, over varied terrain.

But the simple answer is that conditioning is more important than form. The problem is that in your original question "speed," "form," and "conditioning" are not defined at all. 

We don't look for speed as distance runners. We look for endurance--the capacity to maintain a speed for the duration of a specified distance. For this, sure, "conditioning" and "form" are important, perhaps. But it's unclear what is meant by these terms, how they might be measured, etc. In fact, these seem to me to be "metaphysical" qualities--unmeasurable, vague, etc. 

What is very clear is that the best way to gain endurance is, The Miles of Trials and The Trials of Miles. There's nothing less metaphysical than that!