The secret to running fast (Read 2999 times)

xor

I think anyone averaging 8 or more hrs per week over extended periods should be getting pretty close to their ultimate potential. 

Why?

WMRunner

Why?

Because it's approximately half the maximum that people like you or I can run in a week. 

Is that arbitrary?  Yes.  Is it exactly correct?  No.  Is it close?  Most likely. 

How will anyone know what the right number is for them?  Give it a try.  Start increasing running times and carefully watch the balance between time spent running and ability to recover well enough to have a solid workout every couple of days.

My max week was 14 hrs.  What was yours?

xor

Heh.

Fwiw, in the Pfitzinger/Douglas Advanced Marathoning book, page 4:

"Genetics determines the range within which you can improve; training determines where your current abilities fall within that range."

I'd add that guts plays a role too.

JimR

What do you mean by "that"?  The ability or how fast you can run?

how fast a given individual can run.  If you can analyze one's genetics and come up with that, then let me know.

The King of Beasts

Because it's approximately half the maximum that people like you or I can run in a week. 

Is that arbitrary?  Yes.  Is it exactly correct?  No.  Is it close?  Most likely. 

How will anyone know what the right number is for them?  Give it a try.  Start increasing running times and carefully watch the balance between time spent running and ability to recover well enough to have a solid workout every couple of days.

My max week was 14 hrs.  What was yours?

are you a 9 year old girl?

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Heh.

I'm guessing SRL is thinking "he don't know me vewwwwy well, do he?"

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

xor

I am glad he wrote "max week".  I've had a really rough patch since late March, actually.  Workin on it.  Can't even blame sickness.

Sufferin succotash.

I've had a really rough patch since late March, actually.

Certainly sorry to hear SRL, but even you have to know you're due for some downtime. Relax, recover and plot your comeback. It's pretty much inevitable, no?

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

xor

Oh the comeback is plotted.  Yes indeedy.  6/26 (plan B on 7/4) and 9/12 (plan B on 9/18).

Oh the comeback is plotted.  Yes indeedy.  6/26 (plan B on 7/4) and 9/12 (plan B on 9/18).

Git it SRL, git it.

E.J.

WMRunner

how fast a given individual can run.  If you can analyze one's genetics and come up with that, then let me know.

Res Ipso Loquiter.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I hope you're wrong. I probably have 14 hours in the 7 day period ending now. And I was hoping to break 2:05 before hitting my ultimate potential.

I've about decided it's all a matter of figuring out what distance on which to run the 2:05...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I hope you're wrong. I probably have 14 hours in the 7 day period ending now. And I was hoping to break 2:05 before hitting my ultimate potential.

I've about decided it's all a matter of figuring out what distance on which to run the 2:05...

A quick napkin calc puts it at about 27.5K.

You can cross that 2:05 right off your bucket list now.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

henryc

Today I learned the secret.  A boy of about 8 was at a water stop in a 5k.  He says to another boy, "Don't worry about it, the fast ones don't drink water."  So that's the answer.