From a slug to a runner - your story! (Read 7492 times)

still alive

I was 300 pounds. I've lost about 85 pounds. I never ran in my life until the age of 39. I'm 40 this year and just finished my first marathon - hot humid Disney in 4:33. I can do better. My 1/2 M PR is 1:51. My Fitness Page

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

va

Hi Greg, that's a great accomplishment! Excellent photos too!
        Great threat! Great stories! Thank you for sharing. Very inspiring!

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

I never thought that running would become a sport or hobby I would indulge in. I played football in high school and always thought it was funny to see the track & field kids running. I was a def/off lineman in high school and as you can imagine was a pretty big kid. Of course I did run for conditioning, but running was hardly something fun. My legs, ankles and calves would always hurt. Lifting weights was another story....I loved it than and still love it now. My senior year I played with a weight of 290 lbs. When I graduated I was up to 300. I was lucky to get a scholarship to play football in college for the University at Buffalo. I toped at 310 lbs in college. On my second season I sustained a tear on my left ACL. That is when I decided to stop playing football. Without football I needed another challenge (and a way to pay for college), therefore I decide to join the Army ROTC program. When I went to see the enrollment officer on the fall semester he told me there was no way I could be in the Army weighing as much as I did, I would never pass the physical. He pretty much told me to forget about it. I didn't like his tone very much and decided to prove him wrong. I told him I would shape up and come see him next semester. In order to lose weight I started doing exactly that which I hated the most: running. This was around October or November 2002. At first I was running about 1/2 mile everyday with the plan to working my way up to 2 miles, the Army's physical fitness test distance. My legs and knees hurt like hell at first, but I kept on going. The hardest part of running for me at that time, and still now, is the instability and pain in my left knee, but I just keep of driving on! I kept on lifting weights which helped alot. In terms of nutrition I went into the soup and salad and water diet. The botton line for me was exercise much, much more and eat much, much less. By the next summer I was down to 240 lbs. I passed the Army physical and joined ROTC. For the next 2 years I kept on running and exercising, and went as far down as 183 lbs. I have since been maintaining my weight between 190 and 195 lb, and I haven't stopped running ever since. Rei Manneck Cool

Smile when you're ready!!

Prophet!

excellent stories Greg & Rei...more great inspirations for all of us..
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

excellent stories Greg & Rei...more great inspirations for all of us..
              Yeah...wow...you guys are truly amazing! I guess I could show what I looked like at my all-time high adult weight (not including when I gave birth, which was right around 225 very bloated #s on my 5'3.5" frame) of ~185: Note in the picture on the right that my hubby's aunt is HIDING behind me. I am very proud of the fact that she can no longer do so, and she is in no way a svelte woman, herself. At one time I got myself down to 124#s, but I just couldn't maintain it with diet alone and got myself back up to 142 or so. I struggled to get back down to the mid 130s, but am back up to the low 140s, again. But this year will be different. This year I am not a newbie runner and I am determined to get myself back down to a more reasonable size (120-125#s is my goal)...after all, the less I weigh, the easier and faster I should be able to run....and I need all the speed I can get! Wink This is about what I look like, now: In addition to running I am doing some kickboxing and strength training with Cathe Friedrich DVDs. I don't just want a smaller # on the scale, I want a dimple-free body with visible muscle tone! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

Well this thread has to be up there with JK's 'Show off your daily/favorite run'. Awesome. So much inspiration. Gregg & Gregg - wow! Kirsten - Well done woman. I had no idea that you had lost so much. What seems amazing to me is that often the ones that have achieved so much - are the ones with the biggest obstacles in their way. I am so impressed! I am also continually amazed by Pam's achievements and how she manages to stay in such fab shape with five kids and twins! So many pats on the back that I don't know what else to say! Claire xxx
              • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
              • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

still alive

Kirsten, that's phenomenal! WAY TO GO!

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

JakeKnight

This is indeed a great thread. Kirsten, I had no idea you were once that heavy (now you need to post a better frontview picture for comparison); and Greg, wow, you are literally unrecognizable in the before and after pictures. Very inspirational stuff. Those of us fortunate enough not to have dealt with weight issues can't really imagine how hard it must be - but I've seen it up close, and I know it's a struggle. In fact, I wish I could post some pictures of a certain someone who's gone from slug-to-supermodel ... but I'd be shot, and that sounds painful.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Prophet!

T In fact, I wish I could post some pictures of a certain someone who's gone from slug-to-supermodel ... but I'd be shot, and that sounds painful.
                      oh please do post...we'll have to do with you getting shot..hopefully it'll just be a flesh-wound. Kirsten, way to go, amazing stuff. aloha, steve

Prophet!

*Bump* anymore inspirations ?
                          What an inspirational thread! This is my first post -- I've been lurking for a month or so. I'm a former slug who's working her way up to being a runner. I still have a hard time calling myself one. I've never been athletic, and I've been very overweight for all of my adult life. In July of 2006, I decided to change that. Since then, I've lost 74 pounds, signed up for my first 10k (it's on March 31), and I'm now obsessed with running. In July, I weighed 275 pounds and couldn't run for more than two minutes. Now I can run 4 miles without stopping, and I even did 5.4 this past Saturday but I had to take a few walk breaks on hills. My pace is still slow, about 12-minute miles, but I'm still astonished that I can run at all. I still have weight to lose, and lots of progress to make, but I'm hooked and I don't think I'll turn back now. I'm 35, by the way, and my husband is a running coach! Not sure why it took me so long to get inspired by him...
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Lisa, 12 minute miles aren't really so slow. I think mine were about 13 when I started and now I'm doing 10+ miles at <11 minute pace, so it will happen. my goal is to get under 10 minute pace for my long runs and races. i hope that losing another 15#s will really help that. someone once posted a really neat chart that estimated how much speed an average person would gain for weight lost. it really gave me a lot of incentive to keep on losin'! :) btw, come join us at the jiggly joggers group in my sig. today is weigh-in, so your timing to come out of lurkdom is perfect! :d k minute="" pace,="" so="" it="" will="" happen.="" my="" goal="" is="" to="" get="" under="" 10="" minute="" pace="" for="" my="" long="" runs="" and="" races.="" i="" hope="" that="" losing="" another="" 15#s="" will="" really="" help="" that.="" someone="" once="" posted="" a="" really="" neat="" chart="" that="" estimated="" how="" much="" speed="" an="" average="" person="" would="" gain="" for="" weight="" lost.="" it="" really="" gave="" me="" a="" lot="" of="" incentive="" to="" keep="" on="" losin'!="" :)="" btw,="" come="" join="" us="" at="" the="" jiggly="" joggers="" group="" in="" my="" sig.="" today="" is="" weigh-in,="" so="" your="" timing="" to="" come="" out="" of="" lurkdom="" is="" perfect!="" :d=""></11 minute pace, so it will happen. my goal is to get under 10 minute pace for my long runs and races. i hope that losing another 15#s will really help that. someone once posted a really neat chart that estimated how much speed an average person would gain for weight lost. it really gave me a lot of incentive to keep on losin'! :) btw, come join us at the jiggly joggers group in my sig. today is weigh-in, so your timing to come out of lurkdom is perfect! :d k>

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Steve: Thanks for starting this. I just found the thread today and am impressed with the responses. I would comment on a few, but I don't want to leave anyone all out. Needless to say, you all are inspirations to me. I look at my running logs and am ashamed of getting caught in the wintertime blues (not that in Hawaii, you have to worry about that much, huh?) in contrast to the rest of you. But I also know there is hope. So thanks. I used to think my own story was pretty good, but I'm learning from reading here, on Runner's World and SparkPeople, that my story is only a blip on the radar. That said, here's my story: High school: ran cross country, always finished last on team, sometimes last in race. Eventually quit team after two years. College: No running. Post-college: 2003: at age of 34, at 5 foot, 7 inches, I find myself at pushing 280 pounds. Combination of sedentary job as a weekly newspaper editor, genetic makeup, lack of good diet (too much McDonald's), lack of exercise (it's an effort to walk the stairs to our second-story apartment), etc. Late 2003: My wife begins Weight Watchers and encourages me to join. She doesn't push me. After several months, I do, begin losing weight, but not enough. Early 2004: Start exercise program: using walking videos (I know not very manly, but hey, it works). Get bored. Start going outside to walk around development. Eventually build up to run. In process, lose about 100 pounds. Run in first 5Ks. Summer 2004: run personal best in 5K in race in Maine. 28:29. 2005: Up and down with running, mostly down. 2006: Year starts out with developing condition similar to acid reflux, running begins to falter, because not enough fuel. July, August, September, no running. October, begin slowly. December: start training for first half marathon at the end of March in western Pa, using training program from Runner's World website. 2007: January: start out decently, with combination of running and strength training, but then falter going into February. Trying to get back on track here on March, using SparkPeople.com (free site) as a tool to help me get there, both with fitness and nutrition. Only a few days in, so far, so good.
                              smc3720

Hi - I’m Steven, from Ogden, Ut. I’m 53 years old and I have been running for the past year. I really started trying back in 2001 when I was diagnosed with diabetes and was at 280 pounds. So I decided to try and be able to run at least 2 miles in 18 minutes. That was what I had to do 10 years earlier when I was in the army. I joined a gym and ran the treadmill, but the best I could do was I got down to 240 pounds and it took me 24 minutes to run those 2 miles. My knees started to hurt, so I quite the treadmill and started to work on the bike. At that time I also joined Weightwatcher ( with my wife) and after I had lost 25 pounds, got back on the treadmill, and surprise of surprise, I could exceed my goal, and that was the first time. After that I was not to embarrassed to run outside, and in May of 2006 I decided to run in a local 5k. By this time I was down to 180 pounds, which is the least I weighed in my life. ( and with running I have kept it off,) My goal was to finish and not die, but I did very well, finished in 26:06. I continued to run, ( I gave up the treadmill, it’s just not as much fun, even with a TV there) and last fall ran our local Turkey Trot. I thought I was going for another 5K, but when I hit the 3 miles mark, and did not see the end, I asked someone and they told me it was a 5 miles run. I finished with a 42:32 time. So know my next goal is the Ogden ½ marathon in May. And one smart thing I did was go to the local running store and buy some good shoes. After buying cheap shoes, and having my feet hurt, The right shoes made a great difference on how I feel, especially on the days I run 6 miles or more. So, I feel I’m doing well for someone who two years ago couldn’t run 1/4 miles without dying