From a slug to a runner - your story! (Read 7491 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Great story aggiedad77. You have a lot to be proud of. WTG!!!! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Plodder

Ok, have been lurking for a little while, time to dip my toe. I am 35 (soon to be 36) years old and from England. I have never been athletic in childhood or as an adult. Most of my life I have been overweight, and in March 2004 with my weight at 270 pounds I decided it was time to sort myself out. My son was due to start Nursery in September of that year and I didn't want to be the 'fat dad'. So I joined Weight Watchers, and over the course of the following 15 months i steadily lost 70 pounds - still above the target weight, but in much better shape. During that time I was doing some exercise, although not a great deal, but because I had lost a lot of the self conciousness along with the weight 2 years ago I joined a gym. I was doing regular workouts, mixture of cardio, free weights, swimming etc. and working myself pretty hard, but with no overall goal in mind. Then last year a friend mentioned that he had run in a local half marathon, had enjoyed the experienced and said that I should consider it for 2007 - initially I dismissed the suggestion, but having been given a few more prods over the rest of the year at Xmas I decided I would get myself ready to run it in March. I downloaded a training plan from the web and spent 14 weeks gradually increasing my distances covered etc. I ran the race on 25th March and completed it in 1 hour 57 mins 31 secs, and the feeling of exhilaration was like nothing i have experienced before. I was particilarly pleased because I had stuck to the plan, hadn't missed a training run, and although the last mile and a half were a struggle I had felt good the rest fo the way. My younger son had been ill and required an operation so it was a good way for me to raise £800 for the Children's Hospital that carried out the operation. I currently weigh 215 pounds - so still need to drop 30 pounds or so, but there is no way that the race in March will be my only venture - though I think I will be sticking to Half Marathons as with work and a young family I cannot commit the hours of training that would be required. So my next planned race is at the end of August - its quite a hilly route, so am gonna take it a bit easy for the next few weeks and hit it hard again at the end of May start of June. I like the look of this place btw and hope to be able to make a positive contribution. Thanks for listening!!
        These stories are all phenomenal and I love reading every one! I'm proud of all of you! I went from a runner to a slug back to a runner, and I'm happier being a runner. I ran high school/college, and then after a 10 yr battle with bulimia decided to attack the psychological fear of not being valued heavy head on and quit running and forced myself to get big.I'm 5'8 and raced at 130lbs, gained up to 175lbs eating lots of burritos, cookies, drinking beer. It was great. When I started running in the early 80's, emphasis for women was to be thin and there were more of us who were battling eating disorders than not. I didn't want to have an eating disordered life, so I decided if I could love myself fat, then I would have beaten that issue.I played soccer and tennis and just had a great time. Then, when I was around 27, I decided I was mentally healthy enough to return to running and see if I could fulfill my potential instead of using it as a diet device. Slowly and intelligently, over 2 yrs, I dropped 50 pounds. I started out by walking so I wouldn't hurt my ligaments and tendons, got up to walking 9 miles before I allowed myself to run. At the end of the two years, I was 125, and running, but not super quickly, as I had as a younger me. It took 4 yrs to work back to high school shape and then I had two children. In the last three years, I've worked back again to high school shape and college shape is within spitting distance. I run now around 120lbs, am super healthy, have a healthy attitude towards food and most importantly myself. And I love running, enjoy every facet of it from a healthy perspective. It takes longer to get in shape when you're older,I'm almost 40, but the emotional rewards are just the same. I'm inspired by your life stories! Big grin
        va

GSheridan & Monkey Sam - Both great, inspiring stories! Thanks for sharing them!

Member Since 2008

I thought I would chime in if you don’t mind. I was very athletic in High School, though I was not a runner. I hated running with a passion, all of my running I had experienced consisted of gut wrenching wind sprints. I was on the track team my Freshman year (100 yard dash) and cannot recall ever finishing a race in front of anyone (last place every time). I joined the Army after High School and remained active (by force). Most of the formation running in the Army consisted of running while drunk, and having people step on the back of my heels all the time. After the Military, I went to work for the Federal Government and basically sat on the couch for sixteen years. At the weight of 230 pounds, (5'9") I finally looked at a mirror and realized I should do something about it. I tried every diet there was, and did everything I could (non-healthy) to loose weight, and believe me when I say everything. I lost 70 pounds, in a matter of six months and looked like death warmed over. I was miserable. Soon after that, the weight began to return and before I knew it, I was pushing 240 pounds. In November of 2004, I finally accepted God into my life and turned my problems over to him. I began walking for several months, then added fifteen seconds of jogging and two minutes walking. I live in Colorado and because of the altitude, could never jog constantly without having to take a walking break. Until one day when I went on vacation in California and set out for a run. I have not had to have a walking break since then. After two and a half years, I am at 170 pounds, my pace went from walking to 7:36, and I am blown away by how God has done all of it! I have just been along for the ride. Now, running is very spiritual to me, it is when I am the closest to God. I always heard , with God all things are possible, I am living proof! Thank you for letting me share my story.
            oscarthehound

This thread is really inspiring- every story here is amazing. My own story ain't that great in the big scheme of things- but although I'm no 3:30 marathon runner (hell I'm no marathon runner...yet!!) for what its worth... I'm 36, 6ft--- in December 2005 and I was around 230 pounds occasionally pushing 240. I have NEVER been sporty or athletic- never in a school or college team, and after aged 13 always slightly overweight. Not sure what happened that month in 05- maybe it was that mid 30s thing, or the fact that my two little kids tired me out way too easily, or I was out of breath going up one flight of stairs... anyways I decided I wanted to get fit for me, for my wife, and mostly cause I wanted to be an active dad for my kids the way my dad was for me. I started walking the dog every night at first- just a mile. And I also joined a judo club. And then I joined a gym. By May 06, 5 months into my makeshift training/ diet plan I was confident enough to go running outside and so I'd do one mile runs in around 12/ 13 minutes, walk for a bit and then run the last half mile back home. By September 06 I was down to 190lbs, and running 2 miles every other night in around 22 minutes, and the judo still twice a week but I quit the gym- outside jogging beats the treadmill anytime. As of now I feel confident enough to get myself into shape for a half marathon. I do 3.7 miles every other night in 34- 36 minutes and still do the judo. I weigh around 182 lbs. I have to say that I hated running and the thought of running for ages. I just love it now. I used to do it to keep fit for judo (and hey I even graded a couple times and got a bronze at a competition there too- first medal I ever received for anything!). I now run just cause I love to run- and its a great feeling playing outside and running around with the children and feeling really... well... fit! But one day I will do a marathon- I promise you all that!

Swadvad

Well I'm basically a newbie. Haven't run any races. I'm doing it mainly for fitness, after my wife commented that we are reaching the age where we either use it, or lose it. (Age 45, non-athletic, regular Joe) After commenting for years that she didn't like running, a friend got my wife to start running with her almost two years ago. I watched this for about a year and a half before I finally got off my lazy keester and asked my wife if she would help me start. I started with 5 minutes running (very slowly), two minutes walking, routine and added a minute running each week or so. It took a month and a half before I could run 30 minutes straight. My longest run to date has been 6 miles. I did that in 60 minutes flat. Not very fast, but I was quite proud that I could manage that. I did 3.1 miles the other day in under 27 minutes. My wife has developed IT band problems and has been slowed. We ran 3 miles together yesterday and I actually had to hold back and wait on her. When I first started back last November, I never thought that would happen. She'll kick my tail again when she gets healthy though. I don't know if I'll ever be a 3:30 marathoner, but 6 months ago, I never thought I could run 6 miles. I'll start with just finishing a marathon, then work on the 3:30. Ha!
                  ok - old thread, but a good one someone linked to it so i figured i'd revive it.... started running at age 40 after 20 years of zero exercise and way too much beer and crappy food. a high metabolism had kept me reasonably thin but i was really out of shape (i joke that i was a fat person trapped in a thin person's body). on an impulse, i signed up for a charity marathon, told everybody i knew (before i ran a step), then raised $18,000, ran a 4:10 in training and then a 4:26 in honolulu for the charity race. both ugly races - but i was hooked. got serious about training and 18 months later (2 years after my first run) ran a 3:06 marathon in edinburgh with my family watching from the finish line grandstand! felt pretty damn awesome! now run pretty much every day and at 43 am still getting faster at every distance. hopefully i run a sub 3 later this month and figure i can probably get to sub 2:50 before i age and the laws of diminishing returns start to catch up with me. unlike some of the amazing stories here, i've only lost about 25 pounds, but i've probably shifted another 15-20 from fat to muscle. cholesterol is down to normal levels (at 40 doc wanted to put me on meds but i said give me a year and i'll get it down myself), BP is down, resting HR down about 25 beats, energy levels way, way up. plus i am taller and much better looking now Big grin
                  - the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com

#artbydmcbride

Day-um Alan! That is quite a story. Good job!

Runners run

glutton for punishment

background - 50 yo male, 5-7, in may 07 i weighed in at 210 - at least 55 lbs overweight - terribly out of shape - went on a 3 day backpacking trip and thought i was going to die - i said thats it, i cant take this anymore began my fitness/weight loss journey first started walking 4-5 miles per day, 5-6 dpw, weight started coming off started running a little at time today i weigh 154, 31 waist, ran a HM in 1:47 (no maarathon yet) regularly place in my age group in smaller 5 and 10 ks
                      PRs: 5K - 22:15 May 09 10K - 47:11 feb 09 15K - 1:16 april 09 HM - 1:47 nov 08

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I was an active runner in middle and high school, CC & T&F. I was an all-state runner and high jumper but I smoked and drank on the weekends. When I went to college I started smoking more, it effected my times but not by much I wasn't smoking MUCH but I was smoking daily instead of the once in a while or weekends. I ended up getting kicked off the team and that pretty much ended my running. At the time I was 5'10" 157lbs and about 10-11% body fat. In January 2007 I finally quit smoking after 12 years of heavy smoking, gained 35 lbs in the first 4 months and realized I needed to do something about this so I started running again. My first run (following the couch to 5K plan) I couldn't even breath! I went to my doctor to get an inhaler I had massive issues, she kept telling me give it time take it slow (she was a runner). I was on week 1 for about a month, after about 3 months I was finally on week 5 of the program you run 8 minutes or something, I was scared to death to run this but I went out and about 4 minutes out I felt like my lungs just opened up for the first time in years! That was it I could breath again! From then I finished the program shortly and was running my first road race in October of 2007 with a time of 32 and change. Since then I've been maintaining I'm a full time worker and a full time student plus I have a house and a family to maintain so my running gets pushed back but I graduate in a few weeks and have the whole summer off of school so I am determined to amp up my mileage and my goal is the Hartford Half this October!
                        -Jen
                        2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                          Started running college because I was in Army ROTC and had to pass the 2 mile run for the army physical fitness test, and I couldnt do it (I was 23 then).....after getting in the army, I kept running and ran alot of races including a Half Marathon in 1:45 and I also ran the Boston Marathon some 20+ years ago. After I got out of the army I tried to keep running but ended up quitting for about 10 or more years. YIKES -- On March 15 2008 (last year) I stepped on the scale and weighed in at 170lbs (I'm only 5'6 so 170 for me is in the severely over weight category)....my colesteral was way over 240 and I really couldnt do much at alll.....so I remembered how good if felt when I used to run so I went out for a one mile run.....and it took me almost 20 minutes.... The next day I was so sore I could hardly get out of bed... THAT DID IT -- I decided I was going to be a runner again and so I started runnig 1 mile per day and slowly started to build my mileage up..... I ran a HALF Marathon back iin March in 2:03 and now I have my mileage very close to 40 MPW (not quite there yet, but Im getting there)...... I am a whole new person and since I m 56, I plan to train HARD for the next 4 years so that I can be VERY competitive in the 60 year old age bracket (If Im not competitive I dont care,....Ill still be runing and loviing it)>>.. Today I ran 8 miles and weighed in at 143lbs..... Life is good and its all because I started running again...... Big grin Wink..

Champions are made when no one is watching

old-runner

I'm 57 years old and last year was completely out of shape. My 34-year-old daughter invited me out to run with her and I couldn't run 100 feet without nearly collapsing, so I'd run a few feet then walk a couple minutes then run a little bit more. She talked me in to joining WeightWatchers, which I began on June 23, 2008. At the time I weighed 193 pounds. I've now lost 40 pounds and am staying at around 153. I started running on September 3rd and ran my first race on September 13th. I've now been running eight months have run 31 races. Last week I ran the New Jersey Marathon in 4:02, then five days later (last night) I ran a 5k in Charlotte in 22:36, which was about a minute off my 5k PR from two weeks ago at 21:41. I didn't realize until I ran my first 5k how much fun it was to run. There's a race every week within 50 miles, and usually several to choose from. I didn't even know that type of thing existed so it motivated me to keep running and trying to improve my time and be competitive, at least within my age group. Makes me feel kinda like a kid again! By the way, my wife joined WeightWatchers at the same time I did and lost 30 pounds. I never saw her run 1 step in 30 years of marriage but after she saw how much fun I was having she started running too and has now run more than 20 races.
                              I'm 57 years old and last year was completely out of shape. My 34-year-old daughter invited me out to run with her and I couldn't run 100 feet without nearly collapsing, so I'd run a few feet then walk a couple minutes then run a little bit more. She talked me in to joining WeightWatchers, which I began on June 23, 2008. At the time I weighed 193 pounds. I've now lost 40 pounds and am staying at around 153. I started running on September 3rd and ran my first race on September 13th. I've now been running eight months have run 31 races. Last week I ran the New Jersey Marathon in 4:02, then five days later (last night) I ran a 5k in Charlotte in 22:36, which was about a minute off my 5k PR from two weeks ago at 21:41. I didn't realize until I ran my first 5k how much fun it was to run. There's a race every week within 50 miles, and usually several to choose from. I didn't even know that type of thing existed so it motivated me to keep running and trying to improve my time and be competitive, at least within my age group. Makes me feel kinda like a kid again! By the way, my wife joined WeightWatchers at the same time I did and lost 30 pounds. I never saw her run 1 step in 30 years of marriage but after she saw how much fun I was having she started running too and has now run more than 20 races.
                              if you can run a 21:41 off that mileage and only 1 year of running at your age then you have some very good talent for this. If you keep it up you're going to be killing 'em at the 60+ age group in a few years.

kcam

Very cool thread, glad it was revived. Congrats to everyone who's made those fitness/weight gains! My story is nothing special but I'd like to tell you my brother's story. HIs name is Mike and he has come a LONG way. He saw me running, then my sister (who's pretty special herself) got to running marathons so he thought he'd give he running game a try. 35 years old, 305 lbs, 6'0! He played baseball and football in HS but that's it. Started his running/weight plan and about 4 years later he's at 185lbs and has run several marathons including the dreaded 2007 Chicago marathon in 3:55. This year he ran 3:19 at Rocket City to qualify for Boston next year (he turns 40 so his Q time goes to 3:20). 2010 Boston will be cooll because all three of us have qualified; Watch out Boston! In July myself, Mike, my sister Sara and another brother Matt will be running as part of a team in the Great Lakes Relay race - I'm proud (and this is my REAL story) because I'm the one who started the ball with the running thing in my family and I think Mike and Sara have become healthier and happier because of it. I never asked anyone to run - they just saw the joy I received from running and racing all over the country and thought they'd give it a try. We have a history of diabetes in my family (mother and one younger sister passed on due to complications of diabetes) so everyone in my family needs all the help they can get and I'm happy to have inspired these three.! You need 10 people to field a team for the GLR and right now we have 4 from my family running. I do have 8 brothers and sisters so it's not out of the question to field our own team with a few inlaws and nieces/nephews!