Quite Possibly the most Eye Opening Six Minutes Ever on Film (Read 299 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Some of the nastier sights of my childhood were when you didn't get a sow separated and in one of those crates before they gave birth.  Not pretty.

Everyone should see where their food comes from.  Especially when it comes from places like this.

Beautiful backdrop, but I'm confused by the foreground.  What am I looking at here, did you mount one of those "GoPro" cameras to that elk?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Feeling the growl again

Beautiful backdrop, but I'm confused by the foreground.  What am I looking at here, did you mount one of those "GoPro" cameras to that elk?

I'm crouched behind him.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

joescott

I'm crouched behind him.

I'd have the buck fever so bad at that point there's no way I would be able to manage both a camera and my rifle (or my bow, if I had one).  Nice work getting both the picture and, I'm assuming, the elk!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

BeeRunB

The mother will flop down and squash them for 2-3 days after birth until maternal instinct develops; after that, she is fiercely defensive of them.  Hence the crate, with heating mats to the side to draw the piglets out from underneath her.

The eating of the piglets is if the sow is not separated from other pigs before she gives birth.  If she gives birth in the group, then yes many of them were often eaten by the OTHER pigs, not the mother.

"Oh, boy, babies for breakfast!" Wilbur thought. He often wondered how his species survived since they'd eat the babies all the time. All he could think was that mothers were smarter than the rest and somehow managed to elude the rest of the pigs in the area. The cows called the pigs vulgar low-life omnivores. The cows said they were glad they had more than one stomach, just so they could stomach the sight of the pigs devouring their future generation. Yet, none of that bothered Wilbur. If it was small enough and juicy enough, he was going to eat it—even if it was his half-sister or brother. Cows were just fanatical vegans anyway; they thought their dung didn't smell. Yeah, sure it smelled a little better than the pigs', but it still didn't smell like those roses Wilbur liked to eat when he could find them.

(from Charlotte's Web V: Wilbur vs. The Vegans)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

"Oh, boy, babies for breakfast!" Wilbur thought. He often wondered how his species survived since they'd eat the babies all the time. All he could think was that mothers were smarter than the rest and somehow managed to elude the rest of the pigs in the area. The cows called the pigs vulgar low-life omnivores. The cows said they were glad they had more than one stomach, just so they could stomach the sight of the pigs devouring their future generation. Yet, none of that bothered Wilbur. If it was small enough and juicy enough, he was going to eat it—even if it was his half-sister or brother. Cows were just fanatical vegans anyway; they thought their dung didn't smell. Yeah, sure it smelled a little better than the pigs', but it still didn't smell like those roses Wilbur liked to eat when he could find them.

(from Charlotte's Web V: Wilbur vs. The Vegans)

That sure is SOME PIG.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

ultramarathon/triathlete

Fer realsies? long time vegetarian here...but almost always (I mean once I could form a thought more substantial than "boob!") ....

Last time I ate meat was 1997.  Still haven't matured enough to form a thought that didn't at least involve the idea of boob.  I hope that day never comes.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

Great picture.

Some of the nastier sights of my childhood were when you didn't get a sow separated and in one of those crates before they gave birth.  Not pretty.

Everyone should see where their food comes from.  Especially when it comes from places like this.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Cool.  It's nice to see a pro-meat video showing how it's very cleanly and professionally done instead of the usual anti-meat propaganda.

I assume this is sarcastic.  That was very clearly not a pro meat video. Though I agree it looked fairly clean (aside from the shit on the rotating milker, but I suppose it could be a lot worse).

No wonder cows go mad, spinning around like that all day.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

Last time I ate meat was 1997.  Still haven't matured enough to form a thought that didn't at least involve the idea of boob.  I hope that day never comes.

I didn't know vegetarians can run ultramarathon and triathlon (judgmental I know). You look very muscular. How do you manage your diets? Vegetarians around me are always thin and don't look very energetic. Perhaps that is how I form the notion that they don't have enough energy to run a ultramarathon or triathlon.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Odd evolutionary 'choice'.

It makes perfect sense. Have you seen how much it costs to send piglets to a good private school these days?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

....(I mean once I could form a thought more substantial than "boob!")

Huh?  I thought that capability left permanently after around age 12.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I didn't know vegetarians can run ultramarathon and triathlon (judgmental I know). You look very muscular. How do you manage your diets? Vegetarians around me are always thin and don't look very energetic. Perhaps that is how I form the notion that they don't have enough energy to run a ultramarathon or triathlon.

I eat a lot of pizza, hummus and frozen yogurt, in addition to all those green thingies.  ;-)  I just eat, but not meat.

The vegetarians you know are probably those whiney little college/hs kids who took on some cause, sob sob, and now eat absolute crap junk food (many that I know fall into that category) puffing their chubby or malnourished chests out, and giving the rest of us a bad name.  I stopped eating meat because I just thought it was probably healthier to do so.  Doesn't bother me at all if others eat meat.  I don't love the poor conditions animals in the farms/plants etc probably (realistically) live in, but I don't spend much of my time thinking about it, or being overly concerned.  Meat's probably fine in moderation.

I will say that when I'm running loops of the park and I smell people BBQing in the summer, smells damn good.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

Feeling the growl again

I'd have the buck fever so bad at that point there's no way I would be able to manage both a camera and my rifle (or my bow, if I had one).  Nice work getting both the picture and, I'm assuming, the elk!

Doesn't everybody hunt with a camera and Bowie knife?

Actually I put him down from ~700 yards away, from the bottom of the valley to the left of the picture.  That made it a lot easier to take the photo.  Wink   That photo was from 2008 (another RA poster named him Megatron), I got one in 2011 from 30 yards with a bow too, both exciting in their own ways and equally tasty...shared often with RA friends in the area.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Dave Scott - vegan triathlete, might have won an Ironman or six.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

ultramarathon/triathlete

Dave Scott - vegan triathlete, might have won an Ironman or six.

MAN I wish I had remember that when I was sitting in my long, boring ass USATF certification and one of the "instructors" went on a diatribe about how no professional athlete could be vegan and challenged anyone in the audience to come up with one.  A few people tossed out names after some frantic smartphone googling but then I think the guy changed his tune to no "female" athlete.  It was weird and totally unrelated to the real excitement of the day, which I think was the rules around shot put.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team