Waiheke Race Report. (Read 848 times)

Your report really brought your race to life, Claire! You did an AWESOME job and are making a great start on your 2007 goals! I can't wait to hear how you do on the rest. We bow to You!!!
    1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."

Dog-Love

Makes me want to plan a New Zealand trip next year for the 12K! Good job!
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        Congrats Claire! I am truly inspired by how far you have come so quickly. Great time in the race!
        RunningHammer

Well I think this is the race report everyone's been waiting for Claire! Fantastic job, well done! What a hard event to run, it makes your achievement all the more remarkable when you've only been running a few months. Your race report was great too, really captured the essence of the day and all the emotions of your first race. I couldn't stop reading it. Had to giggle about the lady that told you it's all downhill - there always seems to be some wind-up merchant!! I've run in two races and had it both times so i've learned to laugh at them and never believe them. In fact i should probably think up some replies as it's kinda like heckling! Wink Superb! Brilliant! What else can I say, England is proud of you!! Big grin Cheers Davey
          mikeymike

Nice! I'll give your report a more thorough read later--just skimmed it though and it sounds like a great experience and a job well done. Recover! Mike Edited to add: Okay I just gave it a good read. Wow. Wow. Wow. Great run and great report.

Runners run

Slow-smooth-fast

i skimmed through it initially, just come back to it now as i had more time. Fantastic description, coul dhave red more, really captivting, and inpsiring. Such a great result, amazing work. All downhill from here, lets hope. Smile

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

WTG Claire!!! You have done such an amazing job in such a short time!! Great job!!! Definetly a great race report!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prophet!

Nice one...awesome race, awesome report. Big phat congrats Big grin
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

move. move. move. move. move. Get off that couch, girl! Walk, crawl, swim, bike or dance, but MOVE! Big grin Your muscles need it.

Roads were made for journeys...

Regina

Hi Kooky, what a tough girl!! Great performance and great time!!! Big grin Congratulations!! And thank you for this gripping and inspiring report. Maybe I should save some money for a trip to Waiheke!? Wink
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I coined a new word this weekend--Awesomest! Claire, your race was the awesomest, as was your report! You DID IT!!! And you came out in one piece! You must feel amazing (post-race pains aside)! BTW, if you want to run a flat 25k you need to come here in mid-May for the largest one in the US. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Claire, Good job. You certainly managed to tackle something that most people would only ever dream of, and you did it as your first official race. You are to be commended for your accomplishments.
                          JakeKnight

Kooky Klaire: You know what I was happiest to see here? It wasn't your time, as impressive as it was. It was the fact that you had a good experience. I'm really glad for you. Not everyone does, you know. Some people run their first race and never run again. Happens more often than you'd think. And I'd guess that among people dumb enough to make THIS race their first race, it's even more common. You do realize that you did almost every single thing wrong in the last 4 months, right? You started out way too hard and too much and too fast, you didn't build any base at all, you predictably injured yourself ... and then came back running too hard after the injury, and then to top it all off, rather than sign up for an easy flat 5-k like just about everyone else, you made your first race too long and with enough hills to challenge just about anybody. All of which admirable (and stupid), but as much fun as it's been to watch, the one thing I worried about was that it might turn your first race into a miserable time. Your ridiculously fast time is really just the icing on the cake. That you enjoyed yourself is what matters. I could not be happier for you. Now go run something flat. I want to see what you could do. Smile

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

mikeymike

You do realize that you did almost every single thing wrong in the last 4 months, right? You started out way too hard and too much and too fast, you didn't build any base at all, you predictably injured yourself ... and then came back running too hard after the injury, and then to top it all off, rather than sign up for an easy flat 5-k like just about everyone else, you made your first race too long and with enough hills to challenge just about anybody.
                              I disagree. And not just 'cause it's Jake. I think what you did would have been way wrong for most people. But it was absolutely right FOR YOU. You will win a race some day. My first race after high school track was the 1999 Big Sur International Marathon at age 29. Best/worst experience of my life. And it (eventually) got me back into running. Had it been a flat, easy 5K I doubt I would have been interested at the time. Edited to add: Now chill out and recover!

Runners run

Awesome job, congrats! Big grin Just hearing about those hills made my calves hurt Wink