ADHD -- I'd love any/all input (Read 907 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Positive reinforcement, on the other hand, is good, and is a technique for fostering long-term behavior change. And positive reinforcement often doesn't involve artificial reinforcers (lollipops, etc); instead, natural reinforcers such as positive praise and time with mom are preferred, and these can be incredibly potent reinforcers for children. This is specially true when the reinforcer (praise, doing activities together) comes from or involves a parent. However, in establishing routines and setting those expectations at the onset, many children benefit from a visual system such as tokens and charts. Anyhow, I'm off my soapbox. Just wanted to clarify!
    I will definitely read that when I get a chance! I found a fun activity to reward Dane and it makes our car happy, too--a trip through the car wash! When I picked Dane up at school he was pretty easy to get out the door when I told him we'd be going through the car wash if we had time...car was coated in salt and road gunk and needed it, anyhow! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wanted to post a bit of an update. As of the past week my son is officially reading! Not "War & Peace" (yet), but he's definitely reading. Last night he read 2 simple little books and wanted to read a 3rd, but it was bedtime. He can't wait to read more. I am SO excited for him! He's got a good handle on phonics and sounding words out--the only rough spots are with vowels, but that's to be expected. I think it won't be long before we will have to check on him a few times after bedtime, just to make certain that he's not awake and reading on the sly in bed--both his dad and I did that as kids. I was talking to his teacher last week and she, too, is positively astounded by the drastic improvement in his abilities to concentrate and make progress in all subject areas. A couple of weeks ago she predicted that he would be reading before the end of Feb...and I have to admit that I didn't believe it. Back in Jan. I honestly could not have imagined him reading anytime before Summer--at the very earliest. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

K, That is a great report! Kids and their development/progress absolutely consumes parents, I am so happy that you are able to see the turnaround! Lots & lots of positive reinforcement. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Lots & lots of positive reinforcement.
          Oh, yeah...we've been practically doing cheers on a daily basis! Lots of hugs, kisses, and telling him how proud we are of how well he's doing. He understands what his medicine is for--tells us it makes his brain work better and helps him to concentrate and learn. I think this is doing worlds for his self-esteem, too. He has been far less moody, as a rule, and generally seems to be happier and less frustrated, especially at school. He has had a few moments of weepiness and "drama" as the meds wear-off in the afternoons, but that's a pretty typical side-effect and it only happens here and there. He's pretty prone to drama (no clue where he gets THAT from...*looks innocent*), anyhow, so it may not entirely be a med issue. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Kirsten! That's great!!! I am really happy that this is working out for you! I've been thinking about your son and wondering how he's been doing. BTW, I did the reading after bedtime thing too! Watch for the glow of the flashlight under the covers! Big grin

You'll ruin your knees!

I think this is doing worlds for his self-esteem, too. He has been far less moody, as a rule, and generally seems to be happier and less frustrated, especially at school. k
              You know now that the chicks will start noticing the dude with the high self-esteem! Dane groupies will be calling all hours... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BTW, I did the reading after bedtime thing too! Watch for the glow of the flashlight under the covers! Big grin
                Heh, I remember my folks hiding all the flashlights! Wink Lynn...if you only knew! Dane's been a ladies' man pretty much since day 1. It's comical. Just yesterday he told me that he couldn't be happy with just one wife--he has 2 girls at school he is determined to marry. I think I have a little polygamist on my hands! His classmates are always excited to see him, too. He's the oldest kid in his classroom (mixed-age Montessori...there are kids from 4-6 in his room, he's the only Kindergarten aged kid, I believe), so I think being BMOC doesn't hurt matters. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay