Celebrating 1 Year of Running (Read 1027 times)

derek

Today marks the end of the first year since I laced up a new pair of running shoes and started the C25K running plan. A running plan designed to take a complete couch potato and get them to the stage where they can run 3 miles at a time. I had just turned 38 the previous week and after evaluating my weight (230 lbs) and fitness, I had decided I wanted to be in the best shape of my life by the time I turned 40. I wanted to lose at least 50 lbs and I figured 2 years would be a good start. I had tried running in the past and only stuck with it for 3-4 weeks. I had tried to lose weight in the past, but usually stall after losing the first 10-15 lbs and then I would gain it back. I was determine to not repeat the cycle again this time around! Even now when I think back to those early days, I’m amazed at how far I’ve managed to come. At the start, I could barely run 60 seconds, and now I just did an 18-mile long run this past Sunday. I was able to lose 50 lbs by the end of 2006, and while I haven’t lost any more in the last 6 months, I’ve kept it off. Here are some of my accomplishments:
    Start6 Months1 Year
    Longest Run1 mile10 miles18 miles
    Weekly Mileage3 mile20 miles45 miles
    5K PRNone30:1125:15
    The following chart shows my daily runs since finishing the C25K plan: The following chart shows my weekly mileage since finishing the C25K plan: When I started running, my only goal was to lose weight. Since starting though, I have managed to set new goals for myself. I initially wanted to run a marathon around now, June 2007, but I realized that I would not be properly prepared and even though the general advice for first-time marathoners is to just finish, I can never be satisfied with that. My goal is run a sub 4-hr marathon. I don’t know if that is even a possibility, but it’s something I need to strive for and work towards. On my long runs, I actually spend a lot of time thinking about why I’m there running and what motivates me. I think the answer is improvement. There are three ways I can improve: * Lose weight * Run further * Run faster As long as I see an improvement in one of those areas, I’m motivated to go out running the following week. In the beginning, I would see improvements in all three at the same time….oh how I miss those beginner days. Now I still see improvements, but it tends to come in just one of those areas. Today, it’s running further as I gradually increase my weekly mileage and my long runs. The other motivating factor I have right now is knowing that every day that passes, I’m one day closer to the Chicago marathon. I can’t say that I enjoy running and as matter of fact, if given a choice between going for a run at 5 am or sleeping an extra 2 hours, I would much rather sleep the extra two hours. I’m too competitive with myself though and I know I wouldn’t be satisfied with my marathon performance unless I gave it my very best attempt. Now I need to work on losing that next 20lbs that I so desperately want to lose!!

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Derek...you are amazing! Look how far you've come in just a year...the weight loss, the mileage, the speed. WOW. You make me feel like a slug, LOL! WTG! I can't wait to see what year 2 brings you! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Derek- your progress so far is amazing! Congrats! Look at that drop in your 5K PR the 2nd 6th months!! Your marathon training looks like it's going really well. Good luck, though I know you will reach your goals without luck Smile
          Such an inspiration Derek!! WTG!! Keep up the awesome work!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

va

Congrats Derek!!! Great story and great looking charts! Keep it up!

Prophet!

Happy 1st RunningBirthDay...i just had mine a few weeks ago...Good luck with the 20lbs and the marathon training. Our track has been pretty similar except i felt like i needed the marathon fear to keep me motivated to keep running. thus i was underprepared for mine but had tons of fun anyway. Your approach is definitely better and i think you'll be able to get that sub 4hr marathon.
                Awesome job Derek. I love seeing how your mileage has not only increased at a steady pace, but that you've added quality workouts (striders, tempo runs) into the mix as well. Can't wait to see how you do in Chicago this Fall, and I hope to meet you when you are in town.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

As others have already said, you are an inspiration, Derek! Congrats on your accomplishments and happy running birthday.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Wingz

Professional Noob

Congratulations, Derek! You neglected to mention how running like this demonstrates what you can accomplish when you set your mind to it. Wow! Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

Jeffrey

Congratulations Derek! I spent some time reading your site. Did you accomplish the 15 week base-building plan? Which plan are you on now - the 70/24? Good luck in Chicago. Smile
                        Awesome, dude.
                          From 60 seconds to 18 miles --- wow. Happpy running birthday, and here's to an awesome year 2!
                          2009: BQ?
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That's amazing Derek. Congrats and happy B-day! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You're doing awesome! Big grin How was the 18 mile run? Did you save any birthday cake for me? modal (who needs to get out the front door now) By the way, I am looking forward to your guide, "Couch Potato to Ultrarunner."

Vim

derek

Did you accomplish the 15 week base-building plan? Which plan are you on now - the 70/24? Good luck in Chicago. Smile
                                I didn't bother to follow a plan leading up to my marathon training. I decided to just work on increasing my mileage and I got in 2 40-mile weeks before I started the marathon plan I'm following. I'm doing the Pftiz 55Mi/24wk plan.

Derek