2013 Sub 1:30 Half Marathon (Read 1808 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Nice job jedi! Smile

pr100, sorry to hear it, but sounds like it was pretty crappy conditions.

Looks like there's a bunch of us up this weekend, good luck everyone!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Well done cecil, rain, setantae, pr, and jedi. I haven't checked in for a while so it's nice to see everyone getting such great results. This coming weekend looks to be a busy one with lots of us taking a shot at it. I'm racing on Sunday myself. I guess I had originally stated my goal as sub-1:28, but that looks a little aggressive especially now that I know how hilly Caesar Rodney is from miles 7-10. I would be extremely happy with anything under 1:30. Honestly, I have no idea what kind of shape I'm in. I've been handling my workouts pretty well and keeping up some decent mileage but I've also been very tired lately. I think the workouts have been taking their toll on me. I have an easier session planned for tomorrow, but other than that, it's just easy mileage until the race, so hopefully I'll be able to recover a little this week. Good luck to everyone!

foooster

30k oldest race in north America

58 hoping 1hr 57

2 weeks to  go any tips

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Thanks for the congrats everyone! I'm very pleased with my race considering hilly course and all. Definitely think i got something faster in me for Frederick in 8 weeks. Sorry the conditions were not good pr. Still a solid race though from you.

Wrote up a RR and figured I post here:

Chambersburg Half Marathon Race Report – March 9, 2013

After my last marathon not going as planned last fall in Harrisburg, I decided I was going to take a backseat to the distance and focus on getting faster this spring at shorter distances and really focus on my speed specifically at half marathon distance. Spring marathons have not been kind to me to begin with a PW the last 2 springs. Been there, done that, and got the race shirt.Smile lol One step back to take two steps forward.

Been following a Daniels 5k-15k training plan from his book Running Formula. Three quality days a week most weeks and a major step up in training for me from anything I have done in the past three years of running. Training has gone well and definitely notice a difference in my fitness with the training and keeping my mileage consistent in the mid-50 mile range.

The Chambersburg Half was my first ever race three years ago and one that is really special to me here in my hometown of Chambersburg. Really missed this race last year due to a DC marathon the week after (See PW marathon above-lol) Comes at a good point in schedule in my effort to get faster and see where I am at for a May half as well.Set a goal of a sub1:38, but recent weeks of training told me maybe a 1:35 was possible and that was what I would shoot for

Race day arrived and had a good 10-day taper for race and confident the hard work of Daniels would payoff in Chambersburg. Did not sleep too well waking up every couple of hours not being able to contain my excitement for race day. Followed my normal race day routine got dressed and head off to start. Love that this race is in my backyard with a short 5 minute drive to start.

Arrived at race, picked up my packet and chatted with a few running friends and pinned my bib number on. Ran my routine warm-up mile with a couple of fellow runners and was ready to run yet another Chambersburg Half.

Race started promptly at 8:30 and inched my way toward front of field. Listened to race director go over some pre-race stuff and race started and I was off.

Mile 1 – 7:10 - just trying to settle in and get in a groove. Plan was to start race at &;30, but best laid plans sometimes just don't work out. Start has a BIG downhill for first .4m or so. Last time I raced fast first mile too at 7:15, so there is a precedent there.

Mile 2 – 7:20 – settled in nicely with a 7:20 mile as we gradually climb up to worst hills of the course up Henry Road.

Mile 3 – 7:37 – kinda expected a slower mile for Mile 3 with finishing climb up Henry before the downhill before turning on Springview Rd. with biggest climb with a 3-5% grade. Felt good passing people walking up this hill. Mile 3 pretty much ends at Mile 3 marker and next mile has a big downhill for about 0.5m or so.

Mile 4 – 6:58 – Woah Nellie! Slow down there Billy!Smile BIG downhill for most of the mile and then turns on to a nice flat stretch. Feeling good and warmed up at this point and made up for slow Mile 3.

Mile 5 – 7:20 – mostly small rollers with couple minor climbs. Stayed on pace and feeling really good.

Mile 6 – 7:27 – a little slower than I liked. Hit half-way (6.55m) mark 47:45.

Mile 7 – 7:20 – this is a tough part of course with out back stretch. Out mostly downhill and back big strecthes of uphill which spills over to next mile. Kept moving and feeling good.

Mile 8 – 7:27 – lots of uphill with tail-end of out and back stretch. Kept pushing forward as fatigue starting to set in a bit.

Mile 9 – 7:25 – small rollers for most part and kept pushing and digging a little deeper to keep pace close

Mile 10 – 7:40 – worst split of race as course gets back on Springview which is a long climb up to biggest hill. Calves felt a little tight at this point, but pushed thru just focusing on keeping legs moving. Knew once I hit crest f hill remainder of race mostly down hill.

Mile 11 – 7:21 – hit crest of hill and got a good downhill to push me up Henry the last real uphill of race. Slight downhill as I hit Mile 11 marker. Time to drop the hammer with 2 miles to go.

Mile 12 – 7:12 – gave all I had left with some rollers, but course mostly downhill from here on out.

Mile 13 – 7:12 – another goods plit giving it all I had left with end in sight and small climb as we neared finish.

Last .1 – 6:32 -  finish line in sight and gave it one last kick and hit finish at 1:36:22. Ecstatic I finished with time I did and yelled out a big scream as I got my finisher medal. Another Chambersburg Half in the books and I could not be happier. An almost 4 minute PR (3:40), 4th in the 40-44AG with overall 7:21 avg pace. 17 second per mile improvement. No one passed me after Mile 5 except for one guy around Mile 9. Guess all that quality is paying off

Kinda can't believe I ran that course that fast. It's got me encouraged for Frederick in May as well as when I toe that marathon line again this fall. That's getting way ahead of things though, but can’t help but be a little giddy about what this fall might bring. For time being just gonna enjoy this new PR for the moment. A PR I felt I should have had last fall. I have no regrets though stepping away from the marathon this spring and probably should have done this a few years back. I have 8 weeks until Frederick and still have lot of work to do. I know I have faster time in me just based off this race today. Do Work. Get Faster!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Post updated. Lot of people in the thread racing this weekend. Go get those sub1:30's.

delucj - buddy of mine running that same HM too.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Dreamn

Congrats Jedi!

Thanks for the report, jedi. It sounds like kind of a tough course with all those hills! I bet you could knock a couple minutes off of your time in a flatter race. I admit I had to stalk your log a little because I've been following Daniels 5-15k as well. A lot of our weeks look very similar. What did you think of the plan overall? How'd you like the workouts? I thought it got pretty hard in phases 3-4. I've had to cut a few workouts short, mainly by reducing the R pace stuff he throws in at the end of the T workouts. Anyway, again, nice job!

delucj - buddy of mine running that same HM too.

Nice...New Bedford's a great race with awesome competition and a good course!

I guess I'll throw in an update while I'm here...I'll stop just short of guaranteeing a <1:30 on Sunday. About 2 weeks ago I ran a <1:01:00 hilly 10 miler so I thought I was ready to PR and run <1:21:00. I was stupid with my recovery from that race though and have been struggling with injuries since.

Now I'm expecting to be <1:25, but I'll have to see how my right achilles holds up...I'll probably either be a bunch faster than 1:30 or a bunch slower.

All the best to everyone racing this weekend!

FSBD

Nice...New Bedford's a great race with awesome competition and a good course!

I guess I'll throw in an update while I'm here...I'll stop just short of guaranteeing a <1:30 on Sunday. About 2 weeks ago I ran a <1:01:00 hilly 10 miler so I thought I was ready to PR and run <1:21:00. I was stupid with my recovery from that race though and have been struggling with injuries since.

Now I'm expecting to be <1:25, but I'll have to see how my right achilles holds up...I'll probably either be a bunch faster than 1:30 or a bunch slower.

All the best to everyone racing this weekend!

Good luck with the ankle.

I hope it holds up for you and you hit your goal.  Rest up this week so you can heal.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

youngoffender - it's a really tough course, but I live 5min from course and every LR I have done leading up to race was at least partly done on the course. Really helps if you're familiar with course. I like Daniels 5k-15k, but have strayed away it  the last 10-days or so so I could taper for race and put in a good effort. Felt Phase 3 a bit easier or simplier, but Phase 4 looks tough. Might actually try something different and extend my tempos a bit and mix some AT in with the LT to make it more HM centric.

Thanks for the report, jedi. It sounds like kind of a tough course with all those hills! I bet you could knock a couple minutes off of your time in a flatter race. I admit I had to stalk your log a little because I've been following Daniels 5-15k as well. A lot of our weeks look very similar. What did you think of the plan overall? How'd you like the workouts? I thought it got pretty hard in phases 3-4. I've had to cut a few workouts short, mainly by reducing the R pace stuff he throws in at the end of the T workouts. Anyway, again, nice job!

Up Next:

???

Good luck with the ankle.

I hope it holds up for you and you hit your goal.  Rest up this week so you can heal.

Thanks! And good luck to you at New Bedford too!

1:28:59 at Caesar Rodney today! I'm really happy. It was tough, but I felt a lot stronger than I expected. I went out a bit harder than I'd planned, but that first mile was very hard to control since it's all downhill. After that I just tried to settle into a comfortable pace and decided not to freak out when it was a little faster than anticipated. I knew that I'd lose some time on the hills from 7-10 so I figured I might as well run fast while I could. Wrote up a little report in my log if anyone is interested. 11th woman overall, 7th in my age group. Top woman was 1:20Tight lipped. Looking forward to seeing how everyone did today!

Mmmmm...beer

Congrats youngoffender, great race!!

1:28:10 for me at the Shamrock Half, lil chilly and windy, but at least it wasn't raining, so I can't complain too much.  Extremely happy with my results, I'll post up a RR in a bit.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Dreamn

Congrats Youngoffender! I met my goal of sub 1:45 with 1:43:11! Full RR later!

Thanks, Dtothe2nd and Dreamn! Congrats to you both too! Looks like today was a good day for racing Smile