2013 Sub 1:30 Half Marathon (Read 1808 times)

delucj: If you ran that 16:55 5K in 2012, it will probably be trivial for you to run sub-1:30. Unless you get really horrible with longer distances. But looking at your marathon goal, it's probably not the case.

That's what I thought too but my goal and my PR are quite different...I kind of suck at racing longer than 10 miles. I ran a 3:40 marathon a few weeks after running that 16:55 (I did get my marathon PR of 3:17:30 a week later but even that isn't in line with the <17 5k speed) and ran a 1:38 half marathon last spring about a month after running a 17:17 5k. I'm hoping that focusing on this <1:30 half marathon for the first few months of 2013 rather than the shorter stuff will help me bridge that gap.

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

OK - count me in. I don't know the race yet, but I'm looking to go sub 1:30 next year. It'll probably be late 2013 when I do.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

delucj - Any hint as to when you achieved that PR of yours?

Jedi, put me down for April 6, I'll be running the Prague marathon. I don't have a realistic handle on what I can expect to do yet. Sub 90 minutes would be more than a 2 minute PR, and my last HM PR was less than a minute...On the other hand, I should be in considerably better shape this year, since I was coming off of an injury. I'm making the wild assumption that I'll stay injury free, of course....

Ok, so put me down for a BOTT 1:29. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

runbo - had you down already for Prague but at 1;32. List current as of now though for everyone.

delucj - that's a speedy 5k.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

FSBD

I'm here for some solid advice.  

I just started running seriously last year and my goal is 1:34 for the first half of the year.  Maybe faster for the second half.  

I am racing in April for the sole purpose of getting into the preferred corral for my Memorial Day Weekend Marathon.  So I have to get under 1:35 to do that.  

My Half PR currently is 1:39 this past July but that was on a hot and hilly course and I am in much better shape now.  April in Vermont does not tend to be warm and the course is flat.  

I ran a 1:41 for the second half of the Philly Marathon this year on my way to a 3:26.  That was 7 weeks after my first marathon and 6 minutes faster.  

I ran a 20:33 5K (in between my two fall marathons) the day after a 21 mile run.

So I definitely think I have a 1:34 in me.  

I started my 24 week training plan for the marathon this past Monday so I have 18 weeks until the Half.   I did no speed work for the first two marathons but I will be adding it in this cycle.  

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

I'm here for some solid advice.  

I just started running seriously last year and my goal is 1:34 for the first half of the year.  Maybe faster for the second half.  

I am racing in April for the sole purpose of getting into the preferred corral for my Memorial Day Weekend Marathon.  So I have to get under 1:35 to do that.  

My Half PR currently is 1:39 this past July but that was on a hot and hilly course and I am in much better shape now.  April in Vermont does not tend to be warm and the course is flat.  

I ran a 1:41 for the second half of the Philly Marathon this year on my way to a 3:26.  That was 7 weeks after my first marathon and 6 minutes faster.  

I ran a 20:33 5K (in between my two fall marathons) the day after a 21 mile run.

So I definitely think I have a 1:34 in me.  

I started my 24 week training plan for the marathon this past Monday so I have 18 weeks until the Half.   I did no speed work for the first two marathons but I will be adding it in this cycle.  

It sounds like you're in a good place for a 1:34 in the next few months.

I suggest you do a few tempo runs at the pace you need for this (4:27 per km = 7:10 per mile ).

That is - do 20 mins easy warm up, then run for 20-40 minutes at your target pace, then 10-20 mins easy for warm-down. If you can do that kind of thing without it killing you then it's a good confidence builder.

delucj - 1:23 HM is just so unthinkably fast for me. And sub 17k...I can't help wondering what happened since that 1:23. Looking at your training log, I think you just run too fast, and you need to run more miles. You are wicked fast. But if you want to build endurance, you're going to have to run slower. I don't think you can build endurance by starting at 7:30 per mile. And if you slow down, you'll be able to do more miles. Could you tell us what your heart rate is at your "easy" run pace?

fatsweaty - I had very similar 5k and FM times and I've gone sub 1:34 twice. I don't think you should have any problem with the right training

delucj - 1:23 HM is just so unthinkably fast for me. And sub 17k...I can't help wondering what happened since that 1:23. Looking at your training log, I think you just run too fast, and you need to run more miles. You are wicked fast. But if you want to build endurance, you're going to have to run slower. I don't think you can build endurance by starting at 7:30 per mile. And if you slow down, you'll be able to do more miles. Could you tell us what your heart rate is at your "easy" run pace?

I've got to admit that I have no clue what my heart rate is while running...maybe over the holidays I'll invest in a heart rate monitor. And yeah, I think that the biggest thing to happen to my running between running mid 17s for the 5k and the 1:23 for the half and now being faster at the 5k and slower at the half is that I started training really stupid.

Last year I got on a rather silly streak and ran 212 times from February 27th until December 29th without running 6:59 min/mile or slower...sounds great to anyone who doesn't really know anything about running but 10 months without a long run really drains your ability to run long no matter how hard you hammer your 2-6 miles per day...

Count me in, too. My PR is 1:30:40. I'd really like to go under 1:28 but we'll see how it goes. I'm going to take two shots at it: first, at Caesar Rodney (DE) on 3/17/13, and then at the Wicked Half Marathon (MA) on 9/21/13.

Count me in, too. My PR is 1:30:40. I'd really like to go under 1:28 but we'll see how it goes. I'm going to take two shots at it: first, at Caesar Rodney (DE) on 3/17/13, and then at the Wicked Half Marathon (MA) on 9/21/13.

The Wicked Half is a fun one...just get your hills on over the summer, that course has some teeth out on the Marblehead Neck in the middle miles of the race! Good luck!

And for the record, you used to be able to see Shalane Flanagan running out in the Neck from time to time.

I am going to be the 1:30 pacer at the Country Music Half-Marathon in Nashville, TN on April 27th.

Success for me will be crossing the line with 1:29Tight lippedx on the clock. Chip times will likely be 30-45 seconds faster, but part of the joy of hitting a goal is seeing the clock under the goal. No faster, no slower. 

--

Nashville, TN

The Wicked Half is a fun one...just get your hills on over the summer, that course has some teeth out on the Marblehead Neck in the middle miles of the race! Good luck!

And for the record, you used to be able to see Shalane Flanagan running out in the Neck from time to time.

Ah, I see you're in as well! Thanks, and good luck to you too. I will try to hit the hills this year for sure. It's definitely a weak spot in my training. I grew up in Salem so I'm really excited about the race.

I'll throw my hat in the ring, too.  Current PR is a 1:36:56 from OCT2010, but I was 1:36:38 at the halfway point in the Richmond Marathon last NOV.

I'm not sure when an assault on 90min will fit in the schedule, but it's gonna happen in 2013!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Post up-to-date. Ran the Chambersburg HM course this weekend on Saturday. First time in a awhile. i live 2m from start so i get to log lot of time on the course. Did a fast finish with miles 10-12 in 8:18, 7:47, and 7:39. Finish last mile at easy pace. Ran course short as i forgot turnaround point otherwise i would have did last 3m with a fast finish.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

dallison

registered pw

I'm running a half in feb in lewisberry, but it's a trail race and there will not be a sub 1:30 on that one. I'm hoping for 1:50 or under.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Count me in again, I already know a bunch of people on here from RWOL so I know there is a great group here. I am just getting over my first full (Philly) but my main focus for next year is to work on the shorter stuff and find some speed.