2013 Sub 1:30 Half Marathon (Read 1808 times)

FSBD

I'm signed up for a half on April 13th. My goal is sub 1:30

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Haha, SRL, it seems there's nothing on either running forum site to interest me much these days.  Bleah.  I just go out and run...

Jedi - my old standard Canyonlands, that I have my 1:37:01 PR at from 2010.  It was super headwindy the last two years and so I think fewer people signed up for the lottery, and they ended up with plenty of space available so have kept registrations open.

Please scratch me from the Wallis Sands Half Marathon. I'm going to get that <1:30 at New Bedford and then put all my focus into my spring marathon.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Hey all, I see some familiar faces from the RWOL days so I figure I should stop on in here! Big grin

I have 3 big goals as denoted in my tagline and even though sub-130 isn't exactly one of them, I'll probably have my goal here and have the thread/group hold me accountable:

May 26, 2013 - Centaur Subaru Calgary Half Marathon - Sub 1:22 HM

Currently I'm engrossed in the chase for a good 10k, of which my goal race takes place on March 17 - my old 10k PR is 38:27, but as the tagline shows, I'm shooting for a good 37:30. In fact, the more I can totally obliterate that old PR, the better!!

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

hwangnyc

Hey Folks,

I just stumbled upon this fantastic thread. My goal is to run sub 1:30 in the NYC Half in March. My PB is 1:31:54 in the Staten Island Half Marathon last October. It's nice to see many like minded people. I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone does. Best of luck!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Welcome to all the newcomers. List updated with recent updates. i want a fast 13.2 with a group of friends who are all faster than me with most miles on course to my March HM. Ran it in 1;45:18 which is probbaly the fastest I've ever run that distance in training. Big confidence booster for me with race 5 weeks out.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

hwangnyc

Anyone care to share their pacing strategy? I've tried even pacing but the wheels came off towards the end. Negatives seem unrealistic due to the excitement of the race. What are your thoughts?

Anyone care to share their pacing strategy? I've tried even pacing but the wheels came off towards the end. Negatives seem unrealistic due to the excitement of the race. What are your thoughts?

Even pacing is best, if you've tried it and couldn't hold it that simply indicates that you were not in the shape for that pace on that day.

That's the difficult thing - we can't really tell exactly what were capable of on a given day. Our fitness changes as we train and the conditions on the day - heat, wind, hills etc. all make a difference.

If you have a specific target then the best chance is to go out at that pace. If you're capable of it on the day then you should succeed. It might be that you could have performed faster - but going out faster might have risked blowing up before the end. If you're feeling good in the last couple of miles you can always up the pace (but be wary of doing this too early). If you go out too slowly it can be extremely hard to make up the difference later in the race as fatigue sets in.

There's a lot of talk about negative splits - but you have to remember - we are not like the world-class elites. And in any case when they talk about a negative split they are only talking about a very small change in pace - maybe something like a one minute difference between the times for the first half and second half of a marathon.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I agree even pacing is best way to go with a minor negative split like 1min. My last HM I used that strategy and neg split by 30sec or so.

Even pacing is best, if you've tried it and couldn't hold it that simply indicates that you were not in the shape for that pace on that day.

That's the difficult thing - we can't really tell exactly what were capable of on a given day. Our fitness changes as we train and the conditions on the day - heat, wind, hills etc. all make a difference.

If you have a specific target then the best chance is to go out at that pace. If you're capable of it on the day then you should succeed. It might be that you could have performed faster - but going out faster might have risked blowing up before the end. If you're feeling good in the last couple of miles you can always up the pace (but be wary of doing this too early). If you go out too slowly it can be extremely hard to make up the difference later in the race as fatigue sets in.

There's a lot of talk about negative splits - but you have to remember - we are not like the world-class elites. And in any case when they talk about a negative split they are only talking about a very small change in pace - maybe something like a one minute difference between the times for the first half and second half of a marathon.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Exactly what the others have said, even pacing is best - if you're falling apart at the end, then the pace is just too fast for you yet. Also, no HM is going to come out to 13.1 miles exactly so be ready to put the pace under 6:52/mm if you do want to get the sub-1:30. I actually found that a good 10k about 6-8 weeks before really helped in the HM training: after pushing up the pace to run that 10k, the HM pace kind of felt slow....and really isn't a HM just two 10k's and a victory lap? Smile

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Even if you can't find a 10k 6-8 weeks out, you can work to make race pace feel easy:

Don't skimp on your track work: if you can get 3-4 miles worth of intervals in every week it makes the race feel that much slower.

Stay honest with your Tempo/MP workouts: They shouldn't feel easy, but don't race them either.

Hills: do a hill workout and if you have the option of either hitting hills or skipping them on your long run, don't skip them. You don't need to race the hills in your long run, just try to keep a steady pace.

The on race day: go out at MP (easier than goal HMP) for at least the first mile. Pick it up slowly and start passing people one at a time; by mile 3, I like to be locked into my steady HMP. At mile 11, kick it into the next gear if you feel like you've got it. Moving forward in the pack throughout the race can help keep you feeling strong even when your body is starting to get tired.

hwangnyc

Thanks for the fantastic advice everyone. Just curious for everyone shooting for sub 1:30. What is your long run, tempo, 800m, 400m, etc. paces?

I'm about 5 weeks out and I just did 13 miles at 7:22 comfortably hard.

My other runs are around:

6-7 mile tempos between 6:45-7

800ms in 3:00 (hard)

1600m in 6:15 (hard)

Thanks for the fantastic advice everyone. Just curious for everyone shooting for sub 1:30. What is your long run, tempo, 800m, 400m, etc. paces?

I'm about 5 weeks out and I just did 13 miles at 7:22 comfortably hard.

My other runs are around:

6-7 mile tempos between 6:45-7

800ms in 3:00 (hard)

1600m in 6:15 (hard)

Since you ask... I'm not specifically training for the HM, but have just embarked on the marathon training plan from the new Hanson's book (with some licence). Most runs I do by feel, but at the moment there are two session a week with pace targets - an interval session, where the length of intervals and recoveries varies from week to week, but I run the intervals at 3:45 min/km pace - so for example yesterday I did 8x600m at that pace with 400m jog recoveries.  And marathon pace runs (which they call "tempo") - which I actually do at just slightly faster than my target marathon pace - so 4:30 min/km.

macca07

Just stumbled across this when looking for resources to break the 40min 10k. My distances and paces are all over the place although the weather plays a big part - I ran the Staten Island half in 6.36 pace in 2012 yet the shorter Bronx 10mile in 6.47 min/miles a month earlier - and a 10k in July in 6.43 m/m...

On for the NYC half in March, want to break 1.30 for that - I did in all three halfs I ran last year - but I set myself a fearsome PB in S.I. of 1.26, so now I just want to break that although if I never do I'll still be happy.

Have a 10k on 6 April in NYC, so I think I'm going to gun for that (PB is 40.21 at 10k) but I find 10k to be a savage race, I must go out too fast & suffer late-on. Conversely, I love a half even though it's twice as far & 5 miles are fun; 10k is a beast.

My final, but not-too-important, goal is a sub 60 15k, but there aren't many 15k's about so that's the least of my worries

macca07

Just stumbled across this when looking for resources to break the 40min 10k. My distances and paces are all over the place although the weather plays a big part - I ran the Staten Island half in 6.36 pace in 2012 yet the shorter Bronx 10mile in 6.47 min/miles a month earlier - and a 10k in July in 6.43 m/m...

On for the NYC half in March, want to break 1.30 for that - I did in all three halfs I ran last year - but I set myself a fearsome PB in S.I. of 1.26, so now I just want to break that although if I never do I'll still be happy.

Have a 10k on 6 April in NYC, so I think I'm going to gun for that (PB is 40.21 at 10k) but I find 10k to be a savage race, I must go out too fast & suffer late-on. Conversely, I love a half even though it's twice as far & 5 miles are fun; 10k is a beast.

My final, but not-too-important, goal is a sub 60 15k, but there aren't many 15k's about so that's the least of my worries