2013 Sub 1:30 Half Marathon (Read 1808 times)

macca07

Just stumbled across this when looking for resources to break the 40min 10k. My distances and paces are all over the place although the weather plays a big part - I ran the Staten Island half in 6.36 pace in 2012 yet the shorter Bronx 10mile in 6.47 min/miles a month earlier - and a 10k in July in 6.43 m/m...

On for the NYC half in March, want to break 1.30 for that - I did in all three halfs I ran last year - but I set myself a fearsome PB in S.I. of 1.26, so now I just want to break that although if I never do I'll still be happy.

Have a 10k on 6 April in NYC, so I think I'm going to gun for that (PB is 40.21 at 10k) but I find 10k to be a savage race, I must go out too fast & suffer late-on. Conversely, I love a half even though it's twice as far & 5 miles are fun; 10k is a beast.

My final, but not-too-important, goal is a sub 60 15k, but there aren't many 15k's about so that's the least of my worries

Walk-Jogger

Three weeks out to my first goal half marathon race. I drove to the nearby race course today and did a run-through, something  I usually do 3-4 times before this race. Race goal right now is <1:27, and I can usually do a sub-1:30 run through by this point a few weeks before the race. But I've been skipping my hard long runs this year in favor of running extra miles, and it doesn't seem to be paying off.  1:31:29 today; should have been a couple of minutes faster. But in fairness, it was too cold for me @ 38 degrees when I started and I was  running into a steady 7-10 MPH headwind for the entire first half of the run. Give me at least 10 more degrees air temps, maybe some sunshine instead of grey skies, and no wind, to do a decent job on this run.  Two weeks ago I ran 1:34:41 for this distance, so 3 minutes quicker today is nothing to whine about, but I'm just not quite where I need to be before my upcoming race.  I need to start picking out a spring HM that is at least a month later in the spring, so I have more time to get out and do my fast long training runs in a bit warmer weather. How's everyone else's training going? Anyone run a race this weekend?  I was supposed to race a 4-miler Saturday morning, but felt a little under the weather and didn't want to push my luck. That wasn't a problem today, as I felt pretty good other than being cold. 

Retired &  Loving It

C-R

Sounds like you're ready Cecil

I'm in. Running several this spring with the main goal one being the Indy Mini (yeah I know the name stinks) as long as I get seeded in the front corrals (front 3). With 35,000 runners it gets a bit crowded.

So the line-up is:

2/24 Princess HM Disney Orlando FL (hey I'm running this to give my DD a special medal)

3/23 Sam Costa HM Carmel IN

5/3 Indy Mini Indianapolis

I'll be looking to see if I can break 1:30 at each but 5/3 is the big prize (1:30 usually gets you in the top 500 which has a different medal)

Ok back to your regularly scheduled programs.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

FSBD

I just added the New Bedford Half Marathon,

So I will be running 3/17 and 4/13 to try to get the sub 1:30

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

"Up next", eh?   No pressure then Smile

I had a setback with an illness a couple of weeks ago but have been feeling good the last week or so; next session will be a longer threshold run so that should give me a good indication of where I am for March 3rd.

Clive, under race conditions with some support and adrenalin I'm sure that you will pick up.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

I had a setback with an illness a couple of weeks ago but have been feeling good the last week or so; next session will be a longer threshold run so that should give me a good indication of where I am for March 3rd.

Hmm, disappointing; I was much quicker a month ago before that illness. Still, there was a wind up today and March 3rd isn't the real goal race, so I have just over 6 weeks to pick it up for April.

csab

Indy Mini (yeah I know the name stinks)

I does, doesn't it? I really don't like that they call anything a mini marathon. That name disrespects the marathon distance. But that's my goal race, too.

About pacing: well said, even pacing is the best. Anyone trying to run just under 1:30, I'd try to go out at 6:50, or 6:45 if you feel good. If you still feel great at mile 8, you can cautiously accelerate. Then, if you are still good at mile 10, let it loose. Don't go out at 6:52 (or at least not per Garmin), because you will almost certainly measure the course slightly long.

Somebody asked about what intervals we are running: I just ran 800s yesterday. That is 2.2 miles warmup (running to the high school track), then 800 meters fast, 400 meters jogging, repeat 5 times, then jog back from track. The splits for the 800s were around 2:53, but I'm shooting for sub-1:25, so for the sub-1:30 folks, more like 3 minutes would be appropriate.

hwangnyc

Add me to Brooklyn Half May 18th. Hopefully to go sub 1:30 for the 2nd time!

rainmakerrc

Still in marathon training, but I had a great tune-up race at the Locomotive Half Marathon this morning. It was damn cold out there (mid-20's), but I broke 1:30 and PR'd by a little over a minute, finishing in 1:29:51. Also finished in 3rd place overall! Feeling good about next month's marathon!  Also looking forward to my goal half in the Fall and seeing what I can do with some HM specific training and focus.

Congratulations, great to sneak in a PR on the way to your main race!  You'll be wanting to update your signature.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

rainmaker - nice job on the surprise sub1:30.

Still in marathon training, but I had a great tune-up race at the Locomotive Half Marathon this morning. It was damn cold out there (mid-20's), but I broke 1:30 and PR'd by a little over a minute, finishing in 1:29:51. Also finished in 3rd place overall! Feeling good about next month's marathon!  Also looking forward to my goal half in the Fall and seeing what I can do with some HM specific training and focus.

C-R - that's nice you're getting that Disney medal for your daughter.

Schedule revised with the updates and added our first sub1;30 graduate to list.

me - I had a solid 14 miler yesterday with most miles on Hm course. feeling good about a sub1:38 for Chambersburg. Thinking 1:36-1:37 right now. be really surprised if i did something under that on this hilly course. Training has been solid with Daniels plan I have been following.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

C-R

Update - nope, nada, no way. 1:38:15.

They started most of the guys in Corral C so I spent the first 8 miles dodging traffic. No worries though. Very nice race and DD gets her medal. I'll be ready in four weeks to take another swing.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mmmmm...beer

I don't want to count the chicks before they've hatched, but after my 1:24:55 at Saturday's 20k, I think I'm pretty solid for a sub-1:30 in a few weeks.  I averaged 6:50/mile and I'm pretty sure I could have held at least 6:45/mile, which is what I'm going to shoot for at the half.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

I don't want to count the chicks before they've hatched, but after my 1:24:55 at Saturday's 20k, I think I'm pretty solid for a sub-1:30 in a few weeks. 

Confidence! This is a good thing Smile

I am up in 10 days. I think it's going to be close. I'm probably in approximately the right shape for 1:30 - I'll go out at that pace and see how I manage to hold on.

Walk-Jogger

My goal race is coming up this Saturday. Our weather has been ugly - snowy, cold and blustery up till now, but the weather gods must be smiling on us here in E. Washington because the forecast for this weekend is looking like perfect running weather for me; around 48 degrees at the start and up to a high of 61 by mid-afternoon. If there's little or now wind, and a touch of sunshine, I'll have nothing at all to complain about, weather wise. I'm not as ready for this as I'd like to be, as I have not been doing enough long runs up to 16 or more miles, so I'm pretty sure I can crack 1:30, but I won't be able to touch my PR from 2 years ago at 1:26:00. I'm starting to think about finding another goal half for later on, mid-May or after, when I hope to be in a bit better shape to make a run at my PR. For this race, I'll be happy with whatever time I manage, as long as it's <1:30.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

Retired &  Loving It