Long run nutrition options training for first marathon (Read 93 times)

mk885

Hello

i am training for my first marathon and have not really eaten before or during long runs

ran 14 today slowly and felt fine but planning to run 16 week after next and thinking should start practicing nutrition

I have heard about gu suggestions and wondering about them and other options - not sure if anything more natural,or healthier or if gus best?

also how to introduce and if anything before- I am typically trying to run long soon after waking up on sundays

thsnks in advance

mike

Everyone will have an opinion on race fuel, but it's a personal thing. Which one actually fuels you better is probably not so critical right now; mainly you need to find something that doesn't irritate your stomach, which you can't know till you try it. I just use the regular Gu and it's fine for me. Note some have caffeine and some don't, so watch for that too. I would just be sure to start trying something on your LRs, with roughly the frequency you'd be using for the race - usually every 45 min or so. Wash it down with some water right after taking it.

I do all my weekday runs pre-breakfast (but post-coffee). However for weekend LRs, I eat breakfast ~2 hrs pre-run. Mostly carbs with a little protein, like PB&J on toast. On race day it might be 2-3 hrs before the race depending on logistics, and then I'll have a banana at about T-1 hr.

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And don't neglect hydration. I have run too many marathons dehydrated in the last 6 miles.  Drink water early and often.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

. . . you need to find something that doesn't irritate your stomach, which you can't know till you try it.

^This.

There are usually 3 options:

1. Normal "Gu", which is basically high-tech sugar
          2. Gu with Caffiene
          3. "Gu" made from Honey (for the hippies)

And all come in various forms.  Paste that you squeeze into your mouth and gummies that you chew are two common ones.

So, here's what you need to practice:

• Make sure your stomach can handle whichever you chose (some people find the Honey version irritating)
          • Make sure the Gu of choice is compatible in your stomach WITH THE RACE gatorade . . . by trying it on your run.
          • Make sure the the method of ingestion isn't annoying (I personally find gummies stuck between my teeth, or sitting like a rock in my stomach, unhelpful)
          • Figure out how you'll transport them on yourself (my first marathon had me casting off Gu because they were dragging down my shorts).

And here's the race tip: DO NOT try anything you haven't already tested.  They might be giving out free $1,000 "ultra sport caviar" at mile 8.  Unless you think trying that is more important than your race-goal, just wave it off, no matter what miracle the product offers.  If you find something at the Expo that sound cool, save if your NEXT training session.

Good luck!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

John Wood

Check out what the race offers and test it out on your long runs. If you do good with it, your set. If it’s gu, just remember to take it and then take some water so it does it’s job.

GinnyinPA

Testing various options during your long runs is necessary to see what your stomach can tolerate but also to see what things taste good to you and which don't. I've had some I tried I absolutely hated (i.e. e-gels taste very bitter to me, but some people really like them.) The usual for me is to eat something every 45 minutes on runs over 2 hours. I also practice drinking every 2 miles since that is the usual at the races I've run. At most marathons I've attended, they give out gels, but they usually aren't until fairly late in the race. I've found that I do better starting early and eating more often. If I wait, my stomach rebels and I get bad cramps or just can't swallow them.

forloveofrun

i found out early on that i need sugar gels or other stuff as i run, otherwise i run out of fuel fairly quickly and sometimes have full out crash. Whatever my diet has been prior the long run , i have to take someting with me Sad

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Lots of great advice here. I discovered that fuel I preferred 15 years ago no longer sits well with me, and I cannot chew and run at the same time. Everyone's different.

Here's my "study of one" on recent fuel choices from a few training blocks, YMMV:

YES

Gu Roctane Strawberry Kiwi, no caffeine

Gu Vanilla Bean, 20mg caffeine

Wipala Banana Coconut Water, no caffeine (a bit thick & only 70 cal)

Gu Espresso Love, 40 mg caffeine

Gu Mandarin Orange, 20 mg caffeine

Gu Jet Blackberry, 40 mg caffeine

Tap Pure Canadian Maple Syrup with Ginger and Sea Salt, no caffeine (runnier than Gu, too sweet, easy to ingest but sticky)
                  Clif Shot Razz, no caffeine (very fruity flavored, not sure if that's good or bad, but notable)

Gu Cola, 40mg caffeine (tastes exactly like if you ate Cola Lip Smackers chapstick)

Huma Chia Blueberry, no caffeine (texture between Gu and maple syrup, sweetness in between as well)

Huma Chia Strawberry, no caffeine (tastes like thin Welch's strawberry jelly at a hotel)

Gu Roctane Vanilla Orange, 35mg caffeine, kind of tastes like nothing, in a good way

Honey Stinger Acai Pomegranate, no caffeine, tastes like thin Welch's grape jelly

LIQUID FUEL OPTIONS

Tailwind Naked Fuel:  good, tastes like nothing, vaguely sweet and salty but completely bland in a good way

NOTES TO SELF

2 sips water, Gu, 2 sips water (any more water sloshes)

Revised:  1 sip, gel, 2 sips at miles 4, 8, 12

1-2 Sips of water or hydration mix at miles 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11

NO

SIS Science In Sport, Orange Isotonic Gel, OMG THIS IS REVOLTING IN FLAVOR AND TEXTURE. THE WORST ONE OF ALL, BY A VERY LONG WAY.

Maurten, no caffeine, instant dry heave gag reflex bc of consistency, flavor is like rock candy, just sugary, I've never had such an instant vomit reflex in my life

Gu Roctane Lemonade, yuck

Gu Roctane Cherry Lime, with caffeine, too sweet and fruity

Gu Salted Watermelon, with caffeine, ok but better choices exist

Gu Roctane Sea Salt Chocolate, with caffeine, absolutely gagging consistency. I think this was the OG Gu I tried years ago that grossed me out so much.

Untapped Maple Syrup Raspberry Sea Salt, very runny, might be good in very cold temps, dislike raspberry, could mix with water and be good, though

Honey Stinger Gold, tastes like honey, consistency fine, but just too sweet

2Neversecond C30 Energy Gel Fruit Punch, impossible to open, absolutely disgusting

Gummy Bears

Starburst Air Puff

V-Fuel Peach Cobbler, with caffeine (tastes great, did not sit well)

Sport Beans, which I used to love

Hammer Gel Espresso (caffeine) and PB Chocolate (no caffeine), too thick and packet too hard to open while running, ***tastes great so might be good for hiking***

Clif Blocks (oddly, the fuel I preferred a million years ago)

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
                  5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

berylrunner

Rick

Another option is no fuel.  Just eat something good two hours pre race/run and go for it.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59