Compression Socks (Read 166 times)

Do they really work?   Who wears them??

Champions are made when no one is watching

kcam

I don't know ... I have (had) two pairs for years but never wore them.  I strain my calf muscle several weeks ago and started wearing them for a little extra support but found that even after my strain was gone I liked the compression on my calves.  Even when I'm running well there's always been a background soreness in my calves - been there for my whole running 'career'.  This compression seems to alleviate that pain/discomfort believe it or not.

If I were buying now I wouldn't buy socks but just the sleeves for my calves.  Matter of fact I cut the bottoms off my socks and only use them as sleeves now.

runmichigan

I don't think there are any clear studies either way, so it is a matter of personal preference.  I have run marathons with and without them.  I honestly did not notice any difference between a marathon with them and a marathon without them.  I do generally wear compression sleeves when traveling after a marathon.  I find that wearing them while traveling helps me to recover more quickly.

based on my experience, they help with recovery (keeps the circulation going), but no noticeable difference during a workout or race.

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

My opinion is they don't work. I just don't see the little bit of actual pressure they put on your calves they can do anything. Wrapping with an ace bandage, maybe.

My opinion is they don't work. I just don't see the little bit of actual pressure they put on your calves they can do anything. Wrapping with an ace bandage, maybe.

That's true with the expensive ones that you find in running stores. There's very little pressure with those. However you can find compression socks with higher compression. I use the ones rated 20-30 hhMg). You can even go higher than that (50-60),  I started with some I found at Walgreens, but eventually bought them online from Ames Walker.

I've read studies that go either way...some that suggest it's all mental, some that suggest they can help with recovery.  I wear them at times because I will often catch the inside of my calf with my opposite foot when striding and the higher sock protects me from abrasions, particularly on colder days.  I also pick up rashes from various plants pretty easily so on trail runs I appreciate the protection.  I guess they don't need to be compressions socks for these benefits but still, I find them comfortable.  I'd just make sure you test them on a short run before committing to a longer one...I've had some that slip for the first couple miles (until your calves warm up and expand a bit) and it's annoying to have to pull them up.  It would be aggravating to figure that out a couple miles into a marathon.

runnin gal

I had always thought of them as more fashionable than functional.  I was given a pair as a gift and initially started wearing them to work.  I'm on my feet all day and lots of walking. I was having a small amount of swelling in ankles by end of day and would come home and lay with feet propped up on wall.  Since wearing the compression socks I have no swelling and my legs feel much better.  So I started wearing them for long training runs and for a half marathon. Maybe it was just a good day but by mile 10 my legs still felt great and I was able to pick up pace the last few miles.  I'm not saying they're magic, but they may definitely help and won't hurt. Maybe it IS psychological, but so what if they give a mental boost?