PT boyfriend against running (Read 1391 times)

RunLuluRun

I have a boyfriend who is a personal trainer. AND YET he'll blatantly tell me: "running's not good for you, I mean it's not totally bad, but the benefits are few as compared to weight training". Dead (His arguments: the only thing running is good for is cardiovascular fitness. Runners' legs are a mess cos running only emphasizes certain leg muscles and makes our legs all disproportionately strong. When it comes to losing weight, the argument that running helps is misinformed cos it's more important to work on developing muscles, since muscles burn fat 24/7, and running only burns as many calories as you run, so it's one-timer. He says running is bad for your knees, hips, and back. he ACTUALLY used the whole "running a marathon takes away two years from your life" phrase-- I gasped and retorted "where on earth did you pull that out of?! That's such an archaic totally ignorant tale!" For all his arguments I retort with studies published etc etc, but he said all the pro-running info is written by quacks. So his books/research are somehow more legitimate than mine. But then he'll always end with: if you love running, run, life is too short. It's better to run than be a couch potato. He is a martial arts grappler, so he tells me that his sport is way worst than mine cos it can lead to so many injuries, but he continus to do it cos he loves it, just like I should contine to run. But anyway runners need to weightlift and cross train, he insists. And he also reminds me that when he was training for ninjutsu he used to run with a punching bag on his back. I told him sarcastically, great idea! Since running doesn't already cause I don't know how much impact of weight per step. And he actually went running with me one day, but only last some two miles. For cardio he likes to do elliptical or kickboxing. And he swears that grapping is cardio as well. Oh well, I mean if his disbelief in running is the worst, I suppose I can continue to date him haha...but sometimes I secretly wish my boyfriend were a runner! Are there many running couples out there?
    Purdey

Self anointed title

Yep - running couple here. Although my DW can't get out much due to young kids. My recommendation - ditch him and hook up with a hot runner! Tongue

Scout7

He's an idiot.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A lot of what he says is true...runners do tend to get their muscles out of balance and a few trips to the gym every week can definately take care of that problem......I havent seen too many really good runners that were carrying extra weight so I don't think I belive that pumping iron is the best way to loose weight (but it helps)..... He sounds opinionated and domineering (he should be encouraging you).....there must be a really great guy in your neck of the woods that is also a single runner.........It seems to me that you should play the field and keep your options open. Perhaps you can creat a running couple if you look around just a little. Also, most really good runners that I have know were very supportive and it is my experience that most have very professional positions too......Runners are a good bunch.....Keep your eyes open dear (dont settle for a domineering, self centered GOON)......JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching

He's an idiot.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

All business

DTMFA

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

He's an idiot. I am wary of individuals who cling to out-moded and patently false beliefs in the face of unequivocal evidence to the contrary. I sure hope he's brighter in other areas of his life. Interesting how you can go to a road race and see 80 year-olds. Not sure there are a lot of 80-something martial arts grapplers out there.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not half of a "running couple," but my hubby is an avid cyclist. He's nothing but supportive of my running, though. He comes from a family of serious and talented runners and he used to run track and XC in HS and college. Does your BF give this sort of advice to his clients? Confused

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My husband (Mistersippi) and I run together, however...he thinks that any mileage over 3 or 4 miles is just foolish. So, I enjoy his company for shorter runs and then join friends or go solo for longer runs. He insists that running too much mileage is just abusing the body. He's gotten a lot better about keeping his negative comments to himself but he'll never fully accept my running when it comes to anything more than 5k's or the every now and then 10k. Marathons are a death sentence if you ask him. He's learned to accept that when I say "I don't ever need to run a marathon ever again", that I'm just kidding, or at least just saying what I think he wants to hear. Roll eyes I wish you lots of luck with getting your boyfriend to accept your running. There is information out there for and against running so no matter what, you'll both have an argument. I've found that for my husband the less I talk to him about the longer mileage the better he is with it all. He's always up for talk about 3 or 4 mile runs, but that's it.

Michelle

Wait just a second....there's a "weight-lifter" ripping on runners? Fantabulous.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Wait just a second....there's a "weight-lifter" ripping on runners? Fantabulous.
                        Watch out, Lank. He's also a martial-arts grappler. So if he can catch you, your ass is kicked.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Watch out, Lank. He's also a martial-arts grappler. So if he can catch you, your ass is kicked.
                          It's okay. I have skillz with numchucks and I can shoot wild wolves with my 12 guage. There's a rival gang that's recruiting me but my super-model girlfriend is visiting from Canada so I'm not sure if I have the time. Vote for Pedro.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

He's an idiot.
                            Agreed. Dump him.
                            JakeKnight

He's only mostly an idiot. I'd estimate an IQ in the 85-90 range. Not eligible for the short bus, but probably not snapping up scholarships to Princeton, either. He's dumb as a box of screwdrivers with his "running is bad for you" shtick. That's too stupid to rebut. Just take him to any random race, stick around for the awards ceremony, and point to the folks in the 70-75 age group (or 90-95, if you're lucky). Or take him to an ultramarathon. He'll get the point. But he's right on about the need for cross-training and more full body balance, as John A sums up pretty well:
                              A lot of what he says is true...runners do tend to get their muscles out of balance and a few trips to the gym every week can definately take care of that problem.....
                              The science is pretty clear - you need strength and flexibility training to stay healthy and fit as you get older. Including upper body. I've personally neglected that at times, and seen enormous overall improvements in health (and in my running, too!) when I start lifting and stretching regularly. And yeah, there are way, way too many runners who never do anything but run, and end up "gaunt yet flabby." Or was it "flabby yet gaunt?" One of those. Probably choice A. Balance, Daniel-san. Must achieve balance.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------