an itty bitty race but a really long report! (Read 598 times)

The PB 8k Beach Fest was today. They have vendors and tents up everywhere. Down the beach they had the Travel Channel's Sand Blaster's competition. We had a really great time! The race was on the beach. High tide was lapping up onto the soft sand and there was quite a slant. It was perfect weather though, sunny and 58 degrees. I walked up wrapped up in my blanket. I met up with a friend...she's actually my chiro's secretary and my kids' piano teacher. Then I ran into Marcos and his buddy...it's so much more fun being able to hang out and talk. They backed us down to the pier and somehow I landed right smack in front. UGH. I started out a bit hard...my first 800 was 2:58 and I was already spent so I slowed down and followed Marcos. I kept slipping in the kelp and splashing through the tide. Not quite my optimal running conditions, LOL. So I was right behind this one guy at the turn around and they were handing out bottled water. I grabbed one and ran with it. I couldn't get it opened and frustratedly gasped, "I can't open this!" The guy in front of me reached back, relay style, grabbed it from me, opened it and handed it back. Cool I really needed that water and tried to pick up the pace on the way back. I had only seen 2 girls in front of me but I thought I probably missed a few others so I was just hoping for an age group placement. About 1/2mile to the finish I could see the shadow of a girl behind me (her ponytail) and I thought, NO way this girl is passing me. So I turned it on. As I crossed the finish they said, "3rd female overall... and the 4th" and I was SO jazzed!! I've never placed in anything. I immediately hunted down my water savior and thanked him. He's a relay coach! Cool Dh had the boys up on the balcony of the lifeguard tower snapping pics. This was pretty much the kind of obstacle course all up and down the beach. Sprinting to the finish... I got 3rd in my age group but I was also the 3rd overall female finisher. How's that for the most competetive age group? It was pretty small. 212 runners. my standings... 33/212 overall group 3/20 age group 3rd overall female after, I walked back to the car and put our stuff (camera) away and then we went to the party. I wished I had brought my camera. The Sand Blasters sand sculpting was so cool. Why do they call it Sand Blasters? because every few hours they randomly blow up one of the sculptures and the crew has to start over again. Curran (my 4yo) has been begging for a baby bird. Everytime we are out at the beach or park he gets so upset that he can't catch one. (there's a point to this) He cries and acts so surprised but, you know, we all know you never catch a bird, right? Well today was his lucky day! I was getting adjusted at my chiro's tent and the kids were on the beach when I heard a huge ruckus. Curran had caught a pigeon! Everyone was laughing and crowed around snapping pictures. The lady in the Hookah tent next to us snapped a few pictures and is going to email them to me.

Jennifer mm#1231

Congrats on the 3rd overall placement Jen! It was fun to read your report and it sounds like you had a great day as well as a great race Smile
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Look at you go--and in your orange shirt! BIG congrats on your "two" 3rd place awards! That's very cool. Big grin BTW, funny that you were in long sleeves and chilly at the start...it was in the 80s here in MI. I'd kill to live on the ocean sometimes. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congrats on the 3rd overall placement Jen! It was fun to read your report and it sounds like you had a great day as well as a great race Smile
          thanks! we had really great time! I just wish they had free beer. Big grin But it was a really small race...really small. They don't get much smaller than that in these parts.

Jennifer mm#1231

Look at you go--and in your orange shirt! BIG congrats on your "two" 3rd place awards! That's very cool. Big grin BTW, funny that you were in long sleeves and chilly at the start...it was in the 80s here in MI. I'd kill to live on the ocean sometimes. Wink
            hey, that's my pr shirt! I wore it because I knew dh would be able to spot me from far away. And yanno...we have such a moderate climate here. We only get really hot or really cold for a few weeks a year, the rest of the time it's pretty nice. This is perfect fall coastal weather...50's at night, 70's during the day.

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I want to live on the coast of CA...when I visited my friend in LA last summer I could not get over how nice the weather in El Segundo was. Dry, cool, sunny, gorgeous! I remember you bought that shirt for a marathon. I often wear garish hats (and skirts) so that DH and DS can spot me during races, too. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

Congratulations on a terrific race, Jen! WTG! Cool

Rick
                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Congrats, Jen!!!! That's great about 3rd female overall Cool Loved the report and the pics Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

You'll ruin your knees!

Yeah, I want to live on the coast of CA...when I visited my friend in LA last summer I could not get over how nice the weather in El Segundo was. Dry, cool, sunny, gorgeous!k
                    Threadjacker! Roll eyes WTG Jennifer! Congrats on the hardware! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Imminent Catastrophe

Whoa, nice work! On sand, seaweed, rocks and a good slant. Well earned.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

So I was right behind this one guy at the turn around and they were handing out bottled water. I grabbed one and ran with it. I couldn't get it opened and frustratedly gasped, "I can't open this!" The guy in front of me reached back, relay style, grabbed it from me, opened it and handed it back. Cool
                        Runners rock, don't they! Nice report and pics. Felt like i was there watching!
                        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                          Nice work, Jennifer! Awesome on the AG placing and looks like a fun race. Thanks for the report.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?