running in hawaii when on holiday (Read 648 times)

higa

I'm going on holiday to waikiki in a couple of weeks and just wondered if anyone knows of any weekly runs in waikiki. i'm a slow runner but am keen to join up with other runners.
      Sounds rough. Try to make the best of it.

Runners run

Outside Lane

I have been lucky enough to get there a few times. Here's a route that heads from Waikiki Beach area around the coastline towards Diamond Head. There are alot of runners/tourists that run this route. The last mile is up hill (but then you can turn around and head back down hill). There's a path at the top here (you will see alot of parked cars on the side of the road) that leads down to remote beach where surfers head out on the waves. Very cool. Have a great time. http://www.runningahead.com/maps/18b68eb78fe44146b6ae888c52ccf7da

See how they run...

Queen of 3rd Place

When I travel, I search for routes here, almost always with good results: http://www.usatf.org/routes/ Arla

Ex runner

One of my girls, when she was preparing for Chicago marathon, went to Hawaii for a little over a week. I wanted her to have at least one good long run but, at the time, she really wasn't used to doing it alone. So I hooked her up with a group of people who run weekend long run. They gather somewhere, I can't remember exactly, at certain time and go for something like 2-hour run. If you want, I can check with my buddies in Hawaii and fine the actual location and time. You can just show up and join in like my girl did. I think, including jogging down there and back, she ended up running close to 3-hours!
            TJoseph

You could look up the local HHH chapter if you want start your drinking with your run. Just Google "hash house harriers waikiki".
              C-R

Kameamea Park between Waikiki Beahc and Diamond Head is a great place to connect with running clubs in the ara. Lots of good routes from there. I would not run from Waikiki towards the airport direction as it is more commerical and industrial. If you have some opportunity get in the car an go to the North Shore or Windward side for some great runs that will give you a true feel for the island. You will have some great runs there. Good luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

AnneCA

If you're looking for a group, maybe check with The Running Room, which is on Kapahulu Ave, not far from Waikiki. I'm sure they list running groups, and probably have route info too. just checked, and they have a useful website too: http://www.runningroomhawaii.com/ With, indeed, group and route info. Based on your log, and if you don't want to drive anywhere, you might like a loop around Ala Wai Canal -- I did it in the pitch dark when I woke up on CA time my first morning there, so the fact that it's not exactly scenic wasn't a problem. Wink The previously-mentioned Diamond Head loop is also very nice, and you can also do shorter loops through Kapiolani Park. Ala Wai and Kapiolani Loops are all flat, flat, flat.
                  xor

Double thumbs up for Running Room. That Running Room hooks a lot of people up. I used to live on the big island, so I can't offer much more help. Except to say that the big island mo bettah :-). Interestingly, two of the people I know on Oahu have the same last name as the original poster's ID.

casualrunner

I would second the Waikiki towards Diamond Head route. It will be much less crowded (but still plenty of people around). I actually met some running partners in the elevator as we talked over this route Smile Ala Moana park (across from the mall) is a popular place as well. Please do be careful if you're there by yourself during off peak hours, or rather don't go there by yourself when there's not people around. Since I was there for work, I would often just cut my run short and climb Diamond Head, the view is absolutely beautiful. I assume you'll already be doing Diamond Head if you're there for pleasure. Don't miss out on the great snorkeling and get a window seat!! HI is the only place where I still give up the aisle to see the view. If you've not been before, enjoy yourself - it's one of the places that truly lives up to its reputation!

Outside Lane

Don't miss out on the great snorkeling!
                        Check out Hanauma Bay Park - you will never forget it! Snorkeling heaven....

See how they run...