My First Marathon (Read 91 times)

elpaulo44

When I was 15 I used to run two or three times per week and by the time I was 16 I had run my first half marathon. I also took up smoking at the age of 16 and haven't run over two miles since then. I am now 25 and quit smoking 4 months ago, and have decided to run my first marathon in 4 months time. I am now hoping to do my first marathon on the 17th May.

Over the last week of running, I have managed 5 miles in one go at pace of 6mph, however,it has been painful, to the outer side of my knee I am feeling pain, and also my arches are killing me longer into the run. Can anybody suggest why these areas hurt, and what I can do to improve this even if it means purchasing new shoes. Currently running in ultra boosts.

All other advise is greatly appreciated.

Christirei

i think the general opinion you are going to find around here is that it takes time for your body to adjust to running, you need to slow down and adjust your goal of running a marathon in May, consider run/walk option instead if it is particularly meaningful to you. Otherwise you will probably end up injured

elpaulo44

Love it, that makes a lot more sense. I'll aim for an average pace of 4.5-5mph for May... Is what I would have said, when I was a weak nicotine addict.

grapes

Some of this really isn't about willpower. It's about the strength and development of the muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones you need for prolonged running. But by all mean, you do you.

elpaulo44

I completely agree, but is 4 month not enough time, doing between 30 and 50 miles per week to get my body ready?

I am happy to know that these pains are just due to a lack of running.

grapes

I completely agree, but is 4 month not enough time, doing between 30 and 50 miles per week to get my body ready?

The thing is, most people can't go straight from zero to 30 (let alone 50) miles per week, because when they try this, they soon get pains or injuries that prevent them from running. I'm open to believing that some people are fit enough or genetically gifted enough that this doesn't hold true for them. But you're here complaining about some pretty typical-sounding running pain, so it sounds like it probably does apply to you, which means if you power through it for another week or two even worse things are going to happen.

A typical almost-zero-to-marathon-in-a-hurry plan (I've actually done a large group one) takes about six months and builds up weekly mileage and long run distance very slowly, maxing out at perhaps 35 mpw a couple weeks before the marathon. This is good enough to get most beginners perhaps 18-22 miles through the 26.2, and they manage to walk their way in the rest of the way. At least that's how it went for me.

I would be focused on easy runs....and trying to build 1 longer run every week, 10days, or 2 weeks....

good luck.

may think about half marathon in the spring and a full marathon in the fall....

300m- 37 sec.

I am happy to know that these pains are just due to a lack of running.

What the other have said is correct.  Also, your lateral knee pain tells me you probably have hip weakness and are not tracking properly and are stressing your IT band.  This is very common and correctible by strengthening the hip stability muscles.

Your body is not yet able to handle the amount of running you are doing.  The good news is that at some point you will be fit enough to handle the volume.