Running while pregnant, anyone else? (Read 647 times)

runningsharp

Hi, I am new to this forum, and have enjoyed what I have read so far. I am currently a little over 5 months pregnant and still trying to keep up my running. I have had to move inside to the treadmill to make it easier on my body. it would be nice to hear from others that might be in same boat. I haven't figured out where to do my profile at or finished entering in my log information, sorry! I am currently running about 16-18 miles a week, and also doing strength training, spinning and yoga. Would love to hear what others are doing. Lisa
      Lisa, I'm not pregnant nor have I ever been, but I'm just wondering how much weight you have put on so far with that work out schedule. I just lost 40lbs and dont want to get preg. yet bc i'm enjoying being skinnier. I'm curious what to expect though....espeically if I have a similiar workout routine as yours
      runningsharp

Lisa, I'm not pregnant nor have I ever been, but I'm just wondering how much weight you have put on so far with that work out schedule. I just lost 40lbs and dont want to get preg. yet bc i'm enjoying being skinnier. I'm curious what to expect though....espeically if I have a similiar workout routine as yours
        I lost almost 100lbs after my last (third) child, during which I discovered running. slowly after my body got too used to the running I had to start adding things to keep losing weight. I have always been somewhat in shape despite my weight fluctuations. I was in the best shape cardiovascular wise right before I got pregnant. That's why I am not sure what happened with my hormones, I think that it was the huge weight loss over the last few years, but my body went crazy and I really began to put on weight, despite my working out. Although I was able to continue to run I had to back down on intensity and miles. My weight has now seemed to normalize a little and I don't seem to be gaining as much. I think that I could have used more time at a maintenance weight, maybe If I was able to give my body more time to get used to the weight loss, it wouldn't have yo-yoed like it did. It also doesn't help that I am very short, only 5 foot and I am not built like a traditional runner, I carry all of my weight in the hips and butt, I also had a lot of loose skin on my stomach so I looked 5 months pregnant when I was only 3 months. I think that this time around the gaining weight has been more difficult for me because I worked so hard to lose weight and for 2 years I watched the scale only go down, now I have to watch it go up! I think how much you gain when you are pregnant has alot to do with genetics, and your body type. I have one friend she is 5'10" and only two weeks behind me (almost five months) and she is just barely out of her regular pants! Most people tell me that because I am in good shape and have continued to work out and am pretty good about what I eat, that the weight will come off easily after the baby comes. I hope so because I worked really hard to get there, so I know what you mean, It was difficult for me to make the decision to have another after having worked so hard, but with three boys, I just had to try for that Girl! anyways, I think that the gift of giving life, is worth the work of working it off, but who knows you could be one of those lucky ones that doesn't gain much to begin with. Lisa
        AnneCA

Congrats on your pregnancy! I ran during my pregnancies, although I wasn't primarily a runner while pg (more of a gym rat, and could hardly run -- or walk -- at all during my second, thanks to wicked piriformis syndrome). I notice you said you lift as well; lifting is something I could comfortably do through both pregnancies (and if you think you get sideways looks as a pregnant runner, wait til you see the looks you get at 8 months doing cable flys! Big grin). It sounds like you're doing reall well, and I just wanted to offer encouragement to keep doing it as long as it all feels good!
            Hey. I have come out of hibernation and thought I would reply to your post. (It's been a few weeks since I last logged on, man did I miss a lot) But back to the subject at hand. I'm almost 6 months pregnant and was running up until about a month ago. It got to be a little too uncomfortable, ligament pain mainly. I was "wogging", walk/run, but that was getting boring. I'm looking into getting a belly support band to hold up the weight and maybe get my feet pounding the pavement again. I've had to slow down a lot, which was a slap to the ego, but worth it to keep baby safe and me going. I've been using the elliptical and doing yoga/weights as well. Trying to build some uppoer body strength since I'm very weak up there and will need some good lifting muscles. It's nice to have another runner on the board that's preg too. Welcome aboard!