First 6 miles! (Read 796 times)

I was able to get in my first 6 mile run this past Saturday and now I can't wait till next Saturday to do it again. Things didn't start off well as Friday night night my wife says let's go to Friday's for dinner, can't go to Friday's without ordering a BlueMoon beer, I kept it to one only as I was looking so forward to the run the next day. We get in Friday night and I get all my stuff together so when my alarm goes off at 5:15 am I won't be looking all over the place for my gear. I get the MP3 player in the charger to make sure I have a full charge and off to bed I go. Alarm goes off and I'm up and ready, throw the shoes and socks on, then go to get the MP3 player and it's dead! no activity at all. So now I'm thinking how I have to run this with no music. Get my water and Jelly Bellies and I am out the door. get to my starting point and stretch for awhile. begin running at 5:50 am. looking to hold a 10 minute mile pace for the entire 6 miles. I have only done trail running before this and all my distances were based off what my mountain bike gave me, unfortunatley it isn't calibrated to well and my 10 mm pace is actually takes me 10:30 to do my first mile. Fear, Panic and all kinds of excuses start flooding into my head about how I won't/can't finish. I make my first 3 mile loop and pull over to get a drink and have a couple beans, debate about why I should just quit right then but decise to head off on the second loop. I continue another 10 minutes and now the sun is coming up (in phoenix when the sun comes up it's time to get in!) now I got another excuse to quit however, my saviors are right around the corner, two young girls begin their run about 100 yards in front of me and they give me something to concentrate on. They pull me around and I end up finishing at 59:40! I was so happy to finish.
      , then go to get the MP3 player and it's dead! no activity at all. So now I'm thinking how I have to run this with no music. nothing worse than going native -- no music -- congrats on the run!

2012= under-goaled

Things didn't start off well as Friday night night my wife says let's go to Friday's for dinner
        First of all - GREAT JOB ------ I can tell you that every time I mention (ahead of time) that Im going for a long run (or a race), its almost a guarantee that my wife will come up with something that 'we should do' that will get in the way of my long run.....NEVER FAILS......Lets go to the beach, we ought to go to Mom's tomorrow morning....Are you going or one of those 'long' runs today cause I thought we'd go do this or that or something else....and ON and ON and ON... It's not easy being a runner in a non running family......

Champions are made when no one is watching

First of all - GREAT JOB ------ almost a guarantee that my wife will come up with something that 'we should do' that will get in the way of my long run.....NEVER FAILS......Lets go to the beach, we ought to go to Mom's tomorrow morning.... ....
          Friday night dinner with the wife [you said no kids right?] ... or beach with the wife? I am SO going with my wife ... going to Mom's in the AM -- sorry sweetie -- got a big run tomorrow -- you go ahead though. BTW -- where's my remote?

2012= under-goaled

Friday night dinner with the wife [you said no kids right?] ... or beach with the wife? I am SO going with my wife ... going to Mom's in the AM -- sorry sweetie -- got a big run tomorrow -- you go ahead though. BTW -- where's my remote?
            You've got it....... Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

Old, Slow, Happy

... however, my saviors are right around the corner, two young girls begin their run about 100 yards in front of me and they give me something to concentrate on. They pull me around and I end up finishing at 59:40! I was so happy to finish.
              O.K. Exactly how young were these girls? Maybe you could have had a better time if you passed them. Big grin Anyway, Great Job on the 6 miles!!! It's a great accomplishment!!!! WAY TO GO!!!

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Good for you! Never fails does it - Murphy's law sometimes gets me too - so you get extra points for running "silent" when you didn't plan to. Fingers crossed that next Sat's run is just plain fun.
                ~ Fly ~
                Only as much as I dream can I be.
                veggies on the run
                  thanks everyone! Even as bad as the story sounds I wouldn't trade it for anything! I now have confidence that I can finish even when things don't go as planned. Plus it was my first time ever running this far so I super happy to finish and still have a little extra in the tank if I wanted to continue. The "girls" were probably in their mid 30's. I saw them this morning going the opposite direction as me so I got a decent look at their face. All I know is they are in great shape and following them that morning helped me a lot. Already got a new MP3 player and am so looking forward to next weeks run.

running buddies

Congrats! Especially impressive that you did it without music, and with a lot of mental effort. I look forward to being able to run 6 miles in 60 minutes before too long...
                    "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)