How do you prevent running injuries? (Read 321 times)

Zivaa

Hi everyone!  This is my first forum post. I was hoping to get some insight on injury prevention for runners.

First, a little bit about me: My name is Ziva, and I’m a college student interested in neurological engineering and feedback, mostly in runners because they have a such a high chance of injury. I’m working on building a feedback system that allows runners to give inputs about how they feel while running, and hopefully change this statistic.

I was looking for some running guys/gals to answer questions about running injuries. Have you ever gotten injured while running?

What do you do to prevent running injuries? What is your rehabilitation process like? How do running injuries affect you? If you haven’t gotten injured what’s your secret/regiment?

Master of Inconsistency

Ziva ,

No idea what you are working on but I believe we all have a feedback system . These are called senses . The problem with myself , is that when I do get hurt, I tend to ignore what my body is telling me . I am an idiot . This cannot be helped . Good luck in your research .

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

xhristopher

As Greg said, we already have a feedback system. It's probably more important to figure out how to get people to listen to it, even when they have good data telling them something is wrong. Runners like to press their luck.

Most running injuries can be reduced to a simple equation: Running too far, too fast, too soon = injury.

Most running injuries can be reduced to a simple equation: Running too far, too fast, too soon = injury.

Every time I see your handle, I think of Mike Richter. Any relation?

MTA: comma.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Zivaa

Yeah, that's exactly the problem!  Most injuries are because people aren't listening to their senses!

That's exactly the issue we're trying to solve. We're building an app that gives you smart feedback, so that if people are ignoring their body, they have a backup.

What type of feedback would you find helpful?

I think a big factor in analyzing the pain that you're feeling is to start off with asking yourself is it a sharp or dull pain. If it is dull it could just be some soreness and most likely can be worked through. If it is a sharp pain, something major could be wrong and should almost stop the activity immediately

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

The Running Stan

Yeah, that's exactly the problem!  Most injuries are because people aren't listening to their senses!

That's exactly the issue we're trying to solve. We're building an app that gives you smart feedback, so that if people are ignoring their body, they have a backup.

Type of feedback you would find helpful?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRLBbXYWLbs&feature=player_detailpage#t=5

keeponrunning

My biggest advice at the moment is to watch out for potholes while running....I'm currently on crutches cause I gave myself a really bad ankle sprain by falling when my foot got caught in a pothole...

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

xhristopher

Will your app sit on top of a runner and keep them from running? Runners can be idiots.

mikeymike

How do you know this?

Runners run

Every time I see your handle, I think of Mike Richter. Any relation?

MTA: comma.

Nope, but I wouldn't mind having 1/10 of his athletic abilities.

I'm pretty certain that no app could ever be developed that could convince a runner not to run. We all listen to our senses,  fully understand we probably shouldn't run, and run anyway.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I'm pretty certain that no app could ever be developed that could convince a runner not to run. We all listen to our senses,  fully understand we probably shouldn't run, and run anyway.

So true.  Sadly.

steph  

btb1490

The only thing I can think of would be some sort of predictive app that analyzed your training and looked for certain red flags that indicated that perhaps you may be doing too much of something or not enough of something else, which MAY lead to injuries if you continue this way.  Hey, you haven't strength trained in over a week, or done yoga, or you did too many hill workouts too close together, or you're increasing your mileage too quickly, or ran too fast.  Seems like a fun project, but a monumental one.  Good luck.