Does your body... (Read 1280 times)

Giants Fan

ever acclimate to humidity? OMG its been awful here the last couple of days! Like running in a sauna! My run times are slowing down. Even when I leave early, its still gross outside. Guess I'll have to think back to this when its 20 degrees with 20 below wind chill huh?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

HOSS1961

I think you can acclimate to some degree but it is not optimal running conditions by any means so expect to slow down some. I am a VA boy so we have a good share of heat and humidity. It can beat you up if you are not careful. Pay attention to your hydration on longer runs and drink more frequently than you think you ought to.
      HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
        I'd also recommend slowing down your runs. I'm used to running an easy run at about 8:20-8:30 whenever temperatures are <70 degrees. now that summer has hit, i have slowed to 8:50-9:00 on easy runs, and its still challenging, but has seemed to help to be able to finish strong. amazing how much difference weather makes on the runs, eh? degrees.="" now="" that="" summer="" has="" hit,="" i="" have="" slowed="" to="" 8:50-9:00="" on="" easy="" runs,="" and="" its="" still="" challenging,="" but="" has="" seemed="" to="" help="" to="" be="" able="" to="" finish="" strong.="" amazing="" how="" much="" difference="" weather="" makes="" on="" the="" runs,=""></70 degrees. now that summer has hit, i have slowed to 8:50-9:00 on easy runs, and its still challenging, but has seemed to help to be able to finish strong. amazing how much difference weather makes on the runs, eh?>

Giants Fan

Ok glad I'm not the only one who's pace is slowing...I thought it was something I was doing from training. Makes me feel better to know I feel like i'm working harder at a slower pace but its normal! Thanks

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Oh man, I love humidity. I grew up in southern Illinois and spent all of my summers playing baseball. If you've never been to southern Illinois it's one of those places where the humidity is just crazy. I remember breaking out in flop sweats just walking from the front door to the car because walking outside was like walking into a wall of water. I think that, for me, playing baseball every summer acclimated me to humidity very well. I was a catcher and would often play in more than one league. It wasn't uncommon for me to catch two games in the same day with two different teams. The downside of being acclimated is that man, do I sweat. Seriously. I mean when I was living in Florida last summer if I went out for a 10k run not only was my shirt soaked, but my running shorts would be soaked to the point that I could literally wring them out in the sink. It's the one drawback from having a very efficient cooling system. I will say this, though.... being outside in the winter does make it harder to adapt in summer. I lived in Illinois until my mid 30s and that entire time I was not a winter person at all. My winter sports consisted of shoveling snow as needed. I just hated being cold and would be wearing a jacket whenever the temp dropped below 75 or so. When I moved to Toronto last August I was genuinely fearing winter in regards to running. Much to my surprise I ran outside all winter long. In fact, I think that running outside made the winter much much easier on me. I was so acclimated to the cold that I was not nearly as bothered by the cold than most of the lifelong residents. That was really a shock. I did find that coming out of winter and into summer I struggled with the heat and humidity somewhat at first. It took me a good week or two to get right with it. Now though, it's all good. I still laugh, though, when people up here carp about the humidity. I don't think they'd survive a good St. Louis summer.
            And who am I anyway?
            Just another fat jogger, evidently.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

You know, I'm not sure if I will ever acclimatize to it. The humidity has kicked my butt this summer (I'm in Georgia). It doesn't seem to matter how early I leave, it still feels a bit airless. The heat always makes me feel like I'm losing ground; fighting harder to maintain my usual pace and I've hit the TM more days than I care to admit. I have trouble "letting myself" slow down, but that just makes the run more uncomfortable. In all honesty, I can hardly wait for fall! Big grin
              ~ Fly ~
              Only as much as I dream can I be.
              veggies on the run
                I'll admit, even though I slow down - it still ruins most of my runs. This morning - 7 am - 80% humidity. One of the worst runs I have EVER had. Slowing down only does so much is what I am realizing...
                  I'll admit, even though I slow down - it still ruins most of my runs. This morning - 7 am - 80% humidity. One of the worst runs I have EVER had. Slowing down only does so much is what I am realizing...
                  This is why we train in the Summer, but race in the Fall. Its not easy to train in bad conditions, but it pays dividends when you toe the line.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

HOSS1961

This is why we train in the Summer, but race in the Fall. Its not easy to train in bad conditions, but it pays dividends when you toe the line.
                    Yep...prepare for the worst and hope for the best. All my 20 milers prepping for last years Richmond marathon were in 80+ degrees but on race day the weather was on the low 50's and partly cloudy. The tough trainig pays off if you stay healthy.
                    HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
                      I find that slowing down actually feels really good and helps me run farther with more comfort. I live in Canada, where we have the different seasons and we usually don't have much time to acclimatize to the heat and humidity of summer. I'm just patiently waiting out the summer season, building miles and looking forward to see the results in the fall. But I can just imagine how sticky it would be in Georgia this time of year.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I thought I was acclimated until the past couple of days when it's been 97-98 degrees outside. Overall though, I do think the body adjusts.
                        milkbaby

You can eventually get to the point where you feel less worse... if that makes any sense! Must be the heat and humidity gettin' to me! Smile
                          "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

jfa

It seemed to take a while,but I am getting used to it.It's been around 90* with 80% and higher humidity here and I have managed to run through it. Hydration is the key because you sweat differently when it's humid. BTW- How did a nice Iowan such as yourself become a NYG fan? Being one myself, just askin'.....

I don't ever seem to get used to it - I just run really slow and bring the water with me. I stopped wearing my Garmin because it just doesn't seem to make sense in the humid heat. I consider it an accomplishment that I get out there and run. 5-6 am is the coolest part of the day, making the humidity less oppressive.

Giants Fan

First, nj joe I've been a Giants fan almost my whole life. Grew up with posters and stickers all over my room of Phil Simms and Lawrence Taylor! Depressed over Shockey trade...but we will survive. Feel sorry for me though because I live with a Raiders fan! Makes life interesting at least. Anyway...had to post here again, had the best run yesterday! Cooler, rain went out and did 9 miles with 4 interval miles, ran my fastest time lately. Felt great to just see that I can run those paces, its not me, its this stupid humidity! Felt great.

Charles Schulz