Cross Friction Massage and Stretching for AT Tendonitis (Read 63 times)

I've read articles and watched videos both for and against cross friction massage AT tendonitis.  I'm currently in PT for minor AT tendonitis and he incorporates friction massage.

Any PTs out there who would like to chime in on whether or not you agree/disagree?

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SMART Approach

Are they massaging your calf? Kinda hard to massage a tendon and do you really want to? A PT should always tell you why they are doing something and what their goal is. Did they tell you? A minor case of Achilles Tendonitis should respond well to avoiding impact and focusing on cause. Your body wants to heal? Is is related to weak hip/glutes? Weak calves or immobility of of foot/ankle? Or simply overuse where you need time to heal and some off time from running but not off time from movement.More stretching is not the answer either. These are all things that should be analyzed and addressed. Often times we treat symptoms with the old ice, NSAIDs, rest thing without figuring why you have the issue...... I am not really in agreement with that approach.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

There are underlying imbalance issues in the hips, etc., that I am always battling, even with a good strengthening program.  I am doing self deep tissue massaging of the calf, foam rolling, being diligent about the core/ST exercises.  I have a lot less flexibility in my left ankle overall, lots of tightness in my left calf is an ongoing issue, etc., that we're addressing.  These are issues I've had since I was young, and unfortunately, age is not helping.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Luciplay

I feel like this would work the best with your situation. I have a friend that experienced this, and he was better.

Thanks, Luci.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Jogger bobby

Eccentric strengthening ie calf lowering exercises. I've had AT for 20 years and this really keeps it at bay. If i get lazy it starts to come back. I do these 3 times per week. Lately I've added seated calf raises to strengthen the soleus and minimize the burden carried by the gastroc.

Google Alfredson protocol

Born: 1973

Marathon PR: 3:44 (2000)

5k PR: 22:02 (2022)

1 mile PR: 6:09 (2022)

Goals:

5k - 21:42

Mile - 5:59

400m - 1:10

Thanks, Jogger.

Leslie