biking miles=running miles (Read 2758 times)

Okay I need someone to figure this out for me. For fitness maintance and calorie burn how many miles weekly would I have to bike (stationary bike) to equal about 20 miles of weekly treadmill running at a 10 minute pace? Just a guess... Until my foot is out of the walking casts, the stationary bike is all i can do. I was hoping 60 miles or so Blush
    Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

A ballpark answer. Starting point: I plugged your distance of 20 mi/week and weight into the calorie calculator on the site and got 1891 Calories burned for 20 miles running. I've read this article which states that you need to pedal 4 miles on a stationary bike to burn 100 Calories. So doing a little math: 1891 Calories * (4 miles stationary bike / 100 Calories) = 75.64 miles stationary biking. This is consistent with other things I remember reading saying that biking:running mile ratio is between 3:1 and 4:1. I know that 100 Cal per 4 mi can be influenced by intensity and resistance. (It's probably closer to 3:1 riding outside with wind resistance, terrain, etc., and more like 4:1 indoors with no hill / wind) Good luck with your injury! Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

wow! Thank you so much. Geez I have a lot of biking ahead of me!!
        Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
          Chloe- I went to Google and entered biking vs running and there is a lot of different forums where this has been discussed- too much reading! I have heard that the ratio is 3-1 or 4-1 as Jeff said. I did find one article that may be of interest to you. http://hubbikes.com/page.cfm?PageID=121 (sorry- I don't know how to set a "click" link.
          http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hey, where's our resident biker / ex-runner gut? You out there Did?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Try this for figuring calories burned while riding: http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm did

Rule of thumb that I use. Bike twice as far and work twice as hard to equal your running. That is to get better, more fit. You can probably maintain your fitness level by doing less.
                Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD
                  I rode 17 miles today on some of BHam's hilliest roads and my legs were more tired than when I run 4-5 on the same roads. You obviously don't work as hard on downhills but I'd say you have to work twice as hard going up hills on a bike.

I wouldn't worry as much about the mileage as about the time and effort. You'll work different muscles no matter what, especially since most of the runner specific exercises that you might do (such as leaning over the handlebars and standing up while you do repeats) will probably be difficult if you are in a cast. Generally speaking, if you can run 20 miles at a 10 minute pace, then see how far you can ride your bike in 3 hours and 20 minutes throughout the week. Just make sure that you aren't just leaning back and idly spinning; increase the resistance enough that you are working at a fairly equivalent level as you would when running. My guess is that it will wind up being somewhere around that 70-75 mile mark that everybody else is stating.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

You obviously don't work as hard on downhills but I'd say you have to work twice as hard going up hills on a bike.
                      This is coming from a total NON BIKER, someone who just used to bike to work and for errands, UNTIL MY BIKE WAS - MUCH LIKE MY CAR - STOLEN, but I totally agree. Biking uphill was much harder than running uphill !!
                      2009: BQ?
                        On a bike you are not going to fully maintain your running ability but you can retain your fitness. When on a bike use a heart rate monitor and increase the resistance until you can get your heart rate up to around 140~150 and maintain it there and do at least twice long, time wise, for each session as you would do running. The first week or so will be hard to do, until you build up the necessary cycling muscles, but perserve and will get easier.