What speed is the right speed? (Read 1436 times)

bmd

I am up and down. Some days I do my 5 miles at about 10 min/mile pace and some days I'm at 11:30min/mile. But I always wonder, Am I running too slow? What would put me in the catergory of a "good" runner? Should my speed be improving with every run? Hmmmmm....... Any ideas? Roll eyes
      suggestion: open your log. my five miles indicates that is your standard run. vary the distances. some days you are faster than others. speed comes with distance, generally speaking. you will not get faster with every run. oh, were that true Smile a good runner is one who runs Big grin
        I am up and down. Some days I do my 5 miles at about 10 min/mile pace and some days I'm at 11:30min/mile. But I always wonder, Am I running too slow? What would put me in the catergory of a "good" runner? Should my speed be improving with every run? Hmmmmm....... Any ideas? Roll eyes
        Approximately 2 min per mile slower than what you currently can race a 5k at. I agree with dnephin about varying your distances. Especially imporant would be doing a longer run each week.
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          I would not suggest trying to improve your speed with every run, something I was tempted to do when I started which led to shin splints. progress will come, be patient. Some days are better than others, as with anything else.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I'm in the same boat. My pace is all over the board. I've only been running since Oct 07, but I REALLY want to be a faster runner. I had my very first ever race yesterday and was really disappointed that I couldn't get my pace under 10mm. Sad I had a pretty bad side stitch in the second half and that slowed me down a bit. I live in a pretty hilly area, so that's one reason for my varied paces. So, being a 40 year old female who never ran in the past, is it possible to get my pace to say...around 8:30mm?? I did a search on increased pace, but would love some ideas directly related to my log. My longest run so far has been 8 miles and it's still pretty hard on me. Some of my ideas are: working on slowly increasing my long run, making my weekly easy runs in the 5 mile range and ::gasp:: Tongue doing more fartleks. How about doing hill repeats? I have a GREAT hill nearby that is short and steep. Would it be good to incorporate that hill run every so often? I feel like I'm at a wall and just need to push my pace up on my tempos. Get out of my comfort zone I'm thinking. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I think this my apply to both of us bmd. Oh and I'm also doing some light training for a 65 mile bike ride on April 27th, so my running plan is somewhat messed up for the next few weeks. I would love to find a printable training program like the one at Runner's World that is a 5 day a week schedule. I don't want to take 3 days off. Anyway, that schedule seems to be exactly what I'm running now (if not a slower pace) and I'm not seeing any pace improvement. Would you, could you, pretty please.....any of you running guru's Big grin take a look at my log and tell me where I need to go from here? Thanks so much! Debi I'm also a HM hopeful in October 08! 1 year running anniversary gift Big grin

Double IPA Please!

I asked a question and got a lot of good advice from it regarding some of what you are wondering..My post was "I'm so frustrated".. perhaps something in there might be useful/helpful to you as well. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/7bccd092dfe2401f8e42569a73d8803a

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

I asked a question and got a lot of good advice from it regarding some of what you are wondering..My post was "I'm so frustrated".. perhaps something in there might be useful/helpful to you as well. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/7bccd092dfe2401f8e42569a73d8803a
                Yeah, I saw that thread. Most of it was about hr training and I have no desire to do that. I have a Garmin 405 and rarely wear the strap. When I do, I never look at the hr. I pretty much can tell when it's working hard and when it's not. I focus a lot on the pace on that darn thing. It taunts me by showing me a 8-9min pace sometimes and then jumps right back to 10-11. Grrrr!! Roll eyes

Double IPA Please!

True, but the reason it ended up being about that was because I needed to figure out if I was doing my training runs properly- fast enough or slow enough..So I decided to wear the hrm to see. Oh well..good luck!

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

A Saucy Wench

I'm in the same boat. My pace is all over the board. I've only been running since Oct 07, but I REALLY want to be a faster runner. I had my very first ever race yesterday and was really disappointed that I couldn't get my pace under 10mm. Sad I had a pretty bad side stitch in the second half and that slowed me down a bit. I live in a pretty hilly area, so that's one reason for my varied paces. So, being a 40 year old female who never ran in the past, is it possible to get my pace to say...around 8:30mm?? I did a search on increased pace, but would love some ideas directly related to my log. My longest run so far has been 8 miles and it's still pretty hard on me. Some of my ideas are: working on slowly increasing my long run, making my weekly easy runs in the 5 mile range and ::gasp:: Tongue doing more fartleks. How about doing hill repeats? I have a GREAT hill nearby that is short and steep. Would it be good to incorporate that hill run every so often? I feel like I'm at a wall and just need to push my pace up on my tempos. Get out of my comfort zone I'm thinking. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I think this my apply to both of us bmd. Oh and I'm also doing some light training for a 65 mile bike ride on April 27th, so my running plan is somewhat messed up for the next few weeks. I would love to find a printable training program like the one at Runner's World that is a 5 day a week schedule. I don't want to take 3 days off. Anyway, that schedule seems to be exactly what I'm running now (if not a slower pace) and I'm not seeing any pace improvement. Would you, could you, pretty please.....any of you running guru's Big grin take a look at my log and tell me where I need to go from here? Thanks so much! Debi I'm also a HM hopeful in October 08! 1 year running anniversary gift Big grin
                    Probaby you will be able to get to a faster pace with time. Most people do if you train consistantly and more importantly patiently - I couldnt break a 10 mm not long ago and I now race below 8:30. But I still run slow most of the time. Looking at your log you currently are doing a long, a tempo, a hill, and only 1 easy most weeks. I wouldnt try to add more speed. Focus on the easy and the long. Work on ramping up your long slow miles and having EASY recovery miles. Ironically going slow helps you go faster eventually. Given your current 10K time, your tempo runs are actually probably too fast. There are of course varying definitions of tempo runs, but they are usually closer to 10K-HM pace. I would slow everything down for awhile and just focus on getting your mileage base nice and strong. When the long run no longer feels like a struggle you will know you are making awesome progress. Sometimes the harder you push, the slower you go.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hawt and sexy

Just slow down. i typically run about 2 minutes slower than my marathon pace. But the thing is I train for marathons. There are several ways to build up a base, but most people do agree that beginners do not need speedwork. At first your hard/easy days should be achieved by distance, not speed. Speed comes in later, much later. And, even when i use my HRM, I have a huge difference in pace from day to day. Sometimes the pollen is up, sometimes I stop and talk to neighbors. It's alright, just don't sweat it. At first, all you need to worry about is getting mile in, regardless of pace.

I'm touching your pants.

The Greatest of All Time

At first, all you need to worry about is getting mile in, regardless of pace.
                        That sentence is 100% true and correct. Just run. Don't worry about pace. Don't even wear your watch. Just run.
                        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                          That sentence is 100% true and correct. Just run. Don't worry about pace. Don't even wear your watch. Just run.
                          Marcus, I would LOVE to be able to "just run". I guess one could call me "obsessive". When I start something new and love it, I want to perfect it....now! I'm an instant gratification person...I don't like waiting!!! ::stomps feet and puts on best pout face:: I set goals for myself and when I don't achieve them, I will tweak out on how to get there. I do have to stop and tell myself to just "chill" every so often. I have a hard time remembering that I've only been running for 7 months and not a lifetime. Running feels so right to me and I'm really surprised it took me 40 years to find that out. I hear the term "junk miles" and it scares me. If I " just slow down" like you suggest Willamona, I'm scared those miles will be considered "junk"!! Black eye I really do feel like I've hit a plateau. If I keep my easy runs in the 11-12 min pace, I don't feel like I'm really working out at all. Marcus, you suggest that I go out without a watch so I don't tweak on the pace. I will try that, but I'm pretty sure I'll still be in the same range I have been. I feel like I've hit a wall and I'm pushing up against it to break through. I do agree with you Ennay that I need to build my base up nice and strong. I need a heavy dose of patience!! I will concentrate on increasing my weekly miles, and "try" to make them easy runs. I'll also work on getting that long run longer. Wish my feet and knees would continue to love me after 8 miles, but they insist on protesting. I thank you guys for reading and responding to another post from a noob that I'm sure comes around every week or so. I know the same questions over and over get tiresome. Thanks for taking the time Big grin Debi

A Saucy Wench

If I keep my easy runs in the 11-12 min pace, I don't feel like I'm really working out at all.
                            Peeeerrrrrrfect. Wink

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Peeeerrrrrrfect. Wink
                              Really??? Confused But shouldn't I feel like I'm exercising? Shouldn't I feel my heart beating and the sweat and actually feel like I had a good work out and didn't just stroll around the block? I'm thinking I need to change my perspective a little bit.
                                Really??? Confused But shouldn't I feel like I'm exercising? Shouldn't I feel my heart beating and the sweat and actually feel like I had a good work out and didn't just stroll around the block? I'm thinking I need to change my perspective a little bit.
                                You should feel like that when you're doing one of your fast workouts, but not your slow ones. Most people starting put in effort like experienced runners' hard days on every workout, and pay the injury price. Keep it easy and build the weekly distance. Based on your race, from McMillan's Running Calculator Endurance Workouts Pace/Mile Pace/K Recovery Jogs 12:58 to 13:28 8:04 to 8:23 Long Runs 11:58 to 12:58 7:27 to 8:04 Easy Runs 11:58 to 12:28 7:27 to 7:46 Stamina Workouts Pace/Mile Pace/K Steady-State Runs 10:53 to 11:12 6:46 to 6:57 Tempo Runs 10:26 to 10:53 6:29 to 6:46 Tempo Intervals 10:17 to 10:38 6:23 to 6:37 Speed Workouts Middle Distance Runners Long Distance Runners 400m 2:12.6 to 2:18.3 2:15.3 to 2:23.1 800m 4:30.6 to 4:43.0 4:42.7 to 4:55.8 1000m 5:53.3 to 6:09.8 6:02.1 to 6:16.0 1200m 7:04.5 to 7:23.7 7:14.5 to 7:36.5 1600m 9:39.3 to 10:01.6 9:51.6 to 10:13.4 2000m 12:19.5 to 12:40.8 12:31.9 to 12:46.7