First race since July (Read 328 times)

Hannibal Granite

Today I ran the first race I've run since July, which I think is the longest I've gone without racing since I started running (with the possible exception of when I was deployed in 03-04). Over the course of last summer and fall I had a series of injuries, none of which were especially serious, but each of which required taking several days to a week or so off (sprained an ankle on a broken piece of sidewalk while running, wrenched back a few weeks later while bowling etc.) Every time I would start again I got another random injury. Then just before New Years I got food poisoning and couldn't run for about 10 days, (that was when I found this site and started keeping a log here) Since then I decided I needed to just run some easy mileage for a few weeks build back some sort of base then enter some low key races so I could build up to doing a 1/2 marathon this spring (derby mini-marathon in Louisville, KY) and a marathon this fall (Akron Road Runner). So today's 5-K was the first race back. The race started on an uphill with the wind in the face of the runners so I'm 1/4 mile into the race already in oxygen debt and thinking perhaps I should've put off my first race another few weeks. (the wind was strong enough that some of the smaller folks on the course had to lean into it to keep from falling sideways when the course turned and it became a crosswind). Once I got to the top of that first hill though I felt much better even though the race leader was already becoming a dot in the distance. Fortunately for me he was the only real stud in the race and I was in second with another guy right behind me, he was about 6 inches shorter than me and decided it would be good for me to break the wind for him. That little dude stayed with me until the 2-mile point at which time he just sort of faded and I didn't hear him anymore (he ended up finishing 5th) at that point I though I had 2nd place wrapped up, but alas I got caught and passed with about 1/4 mile to go and while I stayed with the guy who caught me I didn't have any kind of kick, which is no shock since I have done absolutely no speed work except for a few striders. I finished 3rd in 18:12, second place was 18:10, first was 16:50. I was hoping for something sub-18, but I'm pleased with the effort given the wind conditions and what I've done over the past few weeks/months.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Hey John, When you can run 5:51’s uphill and into the windl you have to be encouraged. I know you can go a lot faster but this one was very decent after 7-month layoff. It sounds like the kind of injuries you’ve had have been more a case of bad luck than any chronic problems. All you need is to put together a few good months to get back on a roll. Good race.
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
      Len

Damn Yankee

Very nice race dude, that had to feel good! Looking forward to seeing how the rest of your racing schedule develops, should be good stuff. BTW- I appreciated your comments on my half mary goals.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard